Laptop To OPPO-205 Impressions
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sterling2

100+ Head-Fier
Prior to purchase of my OPPO-205, about 3 years ago, I had essentially two means to enjoy music from my iTunes Library via my Home Theatre System: Airport Express S/PDIF output to pre-pro at 16/44.1, or Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD S/PDIF to pre-pro at 24/96. Now, I output from laptop to the OPPO's usb DAC, up sampling to 24/192. I have all sorts of files in my iTunes Library: AAC, ALAC from 16/44.1 to 24/192, and some AIFF files at 16/44.1. Since making the laptop connection to the OPPO I have had the impression of better sound, as in sound stage and detail. This, of course, might just be my imagination running away with me; but, I even sense I can sometimes distinguish tape splice edits in some of the mono AAC files downloaded from Apple Music of DOO WOP 50's and 60's tunes. What I'd like to know, are there any here who have had similar impressions? For me, the usb DAC feature is just a bonus, since I bought the Player specifically to process multi-channel SACDs.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 6
One suggestion would be to find a Schitt EITR 'decrappifier' that would clean up the audio bits coming out of your PC. You'd need the unit, about $99 used, if you can find them. To put it into line, you'd also need an USB/ AB cable .5M to go from PC to EITR, then coax cable, out from EITR to Oppo. An addition here would be to use an aftermarket power supply on the EITR, instead of the wall wart.

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 6
One suggestion would be to find a Schitt EITR 'decrappifier' that would clean up the audio bits coming out of your PC. You'd need the unit, about $99 used, if you can find them. To put it into line, you'd also need an USB/ AB cable .5M to go from PC to EITR, then coax cable, out from EITR to Oppo. An addition here would be to use an aftermarket power supply on the EITR, instead of the wall wart.
So, maybe I should just go wireless network route?

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 6
not sure exactly what you mean by wireless network but using bluetooth or wifi to feed a source isn't the best option. if you're making the effort on sound, your gear deserves an uncompressed signal.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 6
not sure exactly what you mean by wireless network but using bluetooth or wifi to feed a source isn't the best option. if you're making the effort on sound, your gear deserves an uncompressed signal.
OK, so I will need to clean up the digital output from my laptop? How does that work? Right now output is using Windows Audio Session and 24/192 pass through, which is glitch free. In fact, glitches have only come from playing 5.1 files via Foobar 2000 player using HDMI connection between the laptop and OPPO, whereby I get a pattern of dropouts. Not having the interest in altering my Foorbar settings to fix the issue, I just listen to 5.1 downloads via a thumb drive connected to the OPPO, which delivers a gapless 5.1 and stereo experience. At any rate, I don't sense an issue with the usb DAC connection. It seems to deliver the most compelling listening experience with detail and sound stage in all manner better than alternative means to digital file play. And, my wonder, the reason for posting, is to discern if others subscribing to this forum have had a similar experience from OPPO usb DAC. What's your experience been from your OPPO?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 6
There is a widespread believe that USB is noisy.
It is, that is exactly the reason why a decent DAC isolates the USB receiver.
No need to add a second external one.
BTW: the impact of this noise is much smaller than I expected.
Most of it is below -120 dBFS. You will have a hard time making this audible.
Exasound provides some nice measurements: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/GalvanicIsolation.htm

Using a external de-crapifier often yield unexpected results.
The Jitterbug can even increase the noise floor!
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audioquest-jitterbug-usb-filter-review.10205/

Some do work
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/singxer-uip-1-usb-isolator-review.10982/
But once again, this is what a well designed DAC already does for you.

using bluetooth or wifi to feed a source isn't the best option. if you're making the effort on sound, your gear deserves an uncompressed signal.
Anybody believing that WiFi is not able to transfer a uncompressed is obvious misinformed. Never heard of Tidal, Qobuz or DLNA!

Right now output is using Windows Audio Session and 24/192 pass through

As the Oppo is used as an USB DAC, have a look at WASAPI/Exclusive.
Foobar can do this. Musicbee as well.
You bypass all of Win audio and feed everything to the Oppo at its native sample rate.
Might give you a slight improvement but as usual YMMV

Back to your question 😊
As you probably haven’t done any blind testing, it is possible that your perception is fooling you.
But Oppo makes some very fine players (DAC).
Wouldn’t be surprised if it beats both Airport and the Soundblaster.
Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back