Laptop to DAC-AH
Sep 2, 2006 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spikyho

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm currently looking forr a DAC to add to my set up which is currently a del 700m laptop headphone jack > Go-vibe v5 (should be here this week) > Dt770/80. I listen to music on my PC which has a S/Pdif out and my laptop (doesn't have digital out). I've been looking at the DAC-AH which looks like an awesome budget DAC, however I'm not sure how I would go about hooking this up to my laptop. I'd love to add this to my system pretty soon, so any help would be awesome.

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 7
One of the most common methods would be to go from a USB port to a USB DAC (M-Audio Transit is sub $100, especially if used, and purported to be quite good for the price), that has some sort of line out. The Transit has an optical out that could go right to the DAC-AH and should fit your needs perfectly. I have heard that this can introduce some jitter to your system, but I cannot confirm that as I have not actually used this setup myself. I'm still stuck with my laptop's (or my iPod's) headphone out... but hopefully not for long.

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 7
How does the SQ and price of the great march compare to the DAC-AH? I really haven't been able to find much info on the great march. Also, does the DAC-AH only accept toslink as the imput because I only have s/pdif out on my computer right now. The M-audio transit does seem like a good solution, however is there possibly a less bulky solution such as a pc-card type soundcard?

Sep 3, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 7
I just received a dac ah a few days ago, it does have a co-ax input also. there's a toggle switch on the back.
Running from the optical out of a macbook. It has opened up the sound, greater clarity and instrument separation, ditto for it connected to cd player.

Sep 3, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Awesome, was actually debating between the zhaolu, I guess the 2.5 now that the 2.0 has been discontinued, and the lite DAC-AH. I've heard that the highs on the zhaolu are better, however the DAC-AH has better bass and tonal balance. I think now I probably will end up getting the AH and then possibly a M-Audio transit or something so that i can use it with my laptop. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back