Laptop system - PC speakers or acoustic ones??
May 28, 2011 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tikrasltu

Head-Fier
Hello. I have enjoyed headphones for several years, however now I am in need for a 2.0 speaker system, to go with my laptop, mainly for music listening. At the moment, I'm in doubt, whether I should go PC-speaker way, or "normal" acoustic speakers??

For the first option I need an external sound card and decent sounding speakers (smth like Microlob SOLO series). What external sound card could you recommend and  better alternatives to Microlab SOLO?

For the second one, I'd need DAC+AMP+speakers. I would probably get used components here (i can find an used amp for ~100usd).. However I do not know, which option could provide me with better overal sound quality, taking into account ~200-300usd price tag?? Also, provide some recommendations for DAC section, would anything like zerod dac be sufficient for my budget system?

My post might seem a bit messed up, but I hope, you got my point.

Look forward to any suggestions and comments.

Cheers!

May 28, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm actaully not sure what the difference between a DAC and an external sound card is - but you could just as well use a DAC for the pc-speakers. (though that does not in any way answer your question
biggrin.gif
)

May 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 6
From my experience, ditch the "PC speaker" category entirely, and start shooting straight for studio monitors (5" and up). You'll save money in the long run. PC and all other multimedia speakers are not worth the money. At all.

May 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 6
+1

Quote:
From my experience, ditch the "PC speaker" category entirely, and start shooting straight for studio monitors (5" and up). You'll save money in the long run. PC and all other multimedia speakers are not worth the money. At all.

Is the analog out of the notebook a headphone jack or is it line level? Are there other audio outs on the notebook?

May 29, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 6
~ if you are considering the studio monitors , check out active studio monitors.  in addition to having amplification , there are adjustments for room acoustics, + other cabling options

~ on the DAC , i found with a decent sound card there is little benefit to having a DAC.  I had a DAC for my laptop , but then moved this to a main tower computer with a Maudio 192 soundcard and heard no difference.

May 30, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 6
Theres not a great deal of difference between dac's sound quality, so get something cheap that suits your needs.
For speakers do you want active or passives?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back