Laptop Speakers
Sep 3, 2008 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

samtheman11

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I've been reading posts on this forum all day and I'm now ready to ask my question:

I'm heading off to college, and I'm not bringing my stereo, just a laptop and speakers. A relative has graciously offered to buy me laptop speakers for a graduation gift, as long as they're sub-$250ish. Thus as long as it's below that, price/value is really a non-issue. Also, I need something fairly portable and since I leave soon, I don't have any time to put together a great sounding custom system.

So after my research, it would appear my best options would be:
Klipsch 2.1 Promedia
Bose Companion 3s (Yes, I know. "Bose sucks." But at this price point everything sucks, it's comparative sound quality I'm concerned with).

I know there's some other stuff by Logitech, etc...but those appear to be the most well liked. By the way I listen to mostly Jazz. So, please advise a newbie?

Thanks a lot,
Sam.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 10
The Audioengine A2s have been recommended highly on every forum that comes up under Google. The two forums I frequent most, Head-fi and the Mac forums, people rave about them, plus they look great to boot! They are $200 with free shipping, plus money back guaranteed if you don't like them. Just search on Youtube, there are videos on them if I remember, I was close to purchasing them, but went with some Freqshow customs instead.

Audioengine A2 Desktop Speakers

Also, not sure if this code still works DHT10 , but it is/was good for 10% off from the website, so you can have the A2s for $179 with free shipping.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 10
Oh those A2s look pretty cool...size is something of a concern though on my incredibly petite desk in my incredibly petite room, I'll check them out though.
I basically know the usual suspects, it's a question of which one will perform the best for what I need.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 10
The A2s are pretty small, you can probably get an idea if you watched the videos on Youtube.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 10
I have a pair of Z10's, and to be honest, they're pretty amazing for what you pay for. You won't notice the lack of a subwoofer (until you start carrying them around and think "damn I'm glad I didn't get a 2.1"). Their peak volume is enough to fill my living room, so they'll be more than suitable for a dorm room.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 10
dude just get the A2s, everyone at Macrumors love the A2s, and the A5s(out of your price range).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back