Laptop Soundcards
Apr 28, 2010 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
I just brought home a new Asus laptop, which I love in almost every way except... it sounds terrible. Both the oddly located speakers and the headphone out jack which makes even Skullcandies sound thin and bassless. Uuuughhh.

It's the K601 model, purchased for $549 from Best Buy. My question is.. is there any way to replace the internal sound device of a laptop or will this require an external device to fix? That would just be one more thing to lug around and hook up.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 3
First, try updated drivers. I had it happen with a laptop I got for a friend on mine, it was terrible and weird until I updated the drivers.

Second, you CAN get an ExpressCard solution (IE: Echo Indigo DJx). But beyond that, a small USB device might be a good choice. (IF it has a slot for it.)

Third, you can return it, hopefully for a full refund, and not get a laptop no-one knows about, and that has a reject audio chip. <_<

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114789
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146745

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, try updated drivers. I had it happen with a laptop I got for a friend on mine, it was terrible and weird until I updated the drivers.

Second, you CAN get an ExpressCard solution (IE: Echo Indigo DJx). But beyond that, a small USB device might be a good choice. (IF it has a slot for it.)

Third, you can return it, hopefully for a full refund, and not get a laptop no-one knows about, and that has a reject audio chip. <_<

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite L505D-LS5010 NoteBook AMD Athlon II M300(2.0GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon 4100
Newegg.com - lenovo G550(2958FDU) NoteBook Intel Pentium T4400(2.20GHz) 15.6" Wide XGA 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 250GB HDD 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner Intel GMA 4500M

No express card slot.
frown.gif
Even if they give me a refund, I don't know if they would refund the geek squad setup, which I had done to get rid of Norton and other bloatware and also to get Kaspersky, but mostly to avoid the re-stocking fee (you don't pay that when they opened it).

I do have a nuforce uDAC, though I don't particularly like it and it is another thing + cord to lug around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back