Laptop soundcard- for amateur recording and listening (cheap!)
Jul 25, 2006 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rob1031

100+ Head-Fier
I think im getting the IBM Z60m. i want a soundcard that would be OK for recording some guitar and bass and stuff like that, just a SIMPLE way, very simple...prolly dont even need a lineout- just the normal input jack and stuff. i cant figure out the other stuff. it will be prolly for recording ideas and stuff, not that PROFFESSIONAL but not BAD.

my budget is quite low, but it COULD be stretched. around $120

thanks!

oh and i think im getting the AKG K271S (more probably) or the Sony MDR-7506

uses: recording, some listening i think?, and MOVIES. oh live DVD concerts i guess

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rob1031
bump

I looked into it 18 months ago. At that time, I read tons of stuff and opted for an "Echo Indigo I/O" (not the DJ model). One input jack. One output jack. Software support that gives you 8 virtual channels to record and mix. No longer made. Took me a couple weeks to snag one from ebay for ~$150. I have used it for output, but not yet for recording. I am very happy with it so far.

Jul 28, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 8
I too am looking for a decent external soundcard for my (not yet purchased) MacBook Pro laptop. Unlike rob, I don't need recording capablities, just something with decent sound and a good headphone out. The MPB has an "Integrated Intel High Definition Audio" sound chipset so I am sure an external soundcard will improve on the chipset's output. The MBP has an ExpressCard slot instead of a PCMCIA slot; as there are no ExpressCard soundcards (to my knowledge, anyway) I have to go for a USB solution.

(This thread has a lot of good suggestions, but I sort of got bogged down in the DAC discussion: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=laptop Guess I need to re-read it!)

Holly

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 8
M-Audio Transit, perhaps?

I have not done any recording with it, but in listening it sounds very clean.

Regards,

L.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 8
cool guys! especially that list is great.

i have a question. i know what USB is, obviously, but what is PCMCIA?

because the Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook sounds pretty good, and i've heard people using the desktop version a lot

thanks

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rob1031
cool guys! especially that list is great.

i have a question. i know what USB is, obviously, but what is PCMCIA?

because the Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook sounds pretty good, and i've heard people using the desktop version a lot

thanks

If you want to record guitar, you'll want a sound card that has a high-z input. The Audigy 2zs notbook does not have a Hi-z input. Now, if you're recording by placing a mic in front of you're guitar amp, you can probably make due with the A2zs.

To keep in your budget, try going used. Look for Edirol UA-5. That sound card is older, but it did have nice mic preamps. This thread has a comprehensive list of laptop sound cards:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112165

EDIT: PCMCIA, Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcmcia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back