Laptop/Notebook Multimedia Center
Oct 30, 2004 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

crimsonadam

Banned
I want to go from a desktop setup to a laptop/notebook setup, but i would like to be able to use it for everything, DVDs, TV and of course audio.

Most of the laptops out there seem to skimp on the video and audio aspects of the hardware, and since they're not very modular you're stuck with what you buy in a lot of cases.

Does anyone have any good ideas regarding what kind of system. I'd like to spend somewhere between $1500 and $2000.

There's been some great info on this board regarding desktop systems so i'm hoping that there are some people out there with loads of experience dealing with Laptop/Notebook systems.

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Well, you can probably start shopping around for a "gaming notebook". These are generally considered desktop replacements for a number of reasons: battery life, heat, weight, etc...

The component list on these notebooks tend to be the more high-end, high performance desktop devices. They also rival and surpass some of the more standard configurations you would find in desktops in terms of speed.

The only problem I can see you running into is that alot of these notebooks run in the $2000 and up range. I bought an Alienware Area51m2 about 8 months ago and it cost me over $4000.00.

A good place to start asking specific questions is http://notebookforums.com/ . You should be able to better idea of what you need by lurking there a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back