Laptop LCD Dead? Help!
Aug 4, 2005 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
Computer Gurus,

Recently my laptop LCD screen has been completely schmucked up. I haven't made any system changes in several months (the only minor changes being updated antivirus, spyware, and Windows XP--no drivers or anything). Normally I turn my notebook on and leave it run all day, as its a proud member of Head-Fi' s folding at home team. Realizing this may not be good for an LCD screen, I set the screen to turn itself off afte 15 minutes of inactivity. After getting home pretty late one night (circa 4am) I hit spacebar to undo the screensaver and shut off my computer. Unfortunately, my screen seems to be dead. Whenever I now power it on it turns bright gray and slowly fades to a black screen with about 5 bands of blue, green, and magenta. I've tried plugging in a CRT, but I can't blindly configure my notebook to use the external moniter. Is my screen shot? Is there anyway I can at least configure it to use an external moniter (being unable to afford a new computer at the moment)?

Thanks,

Will

Edit: I've remembered that FN+ F8 will switch to my external CRT, but does anyone know if this can be fixed via something under settings, a harddrive wipe/system restore, or if I'm screwed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back