Laptop Headphone Hum
Mar 29, 2005 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tohex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Basically, i usually listen to my laptop through speakers, but plugged some heaphones in that i had lying around when i started reading though this site. I play to upgrade, but firstly there is 'hum' rather badly on the heaphone jack. I've read this is only cause when the AC jack is in; mine is all the time :p. It seems to happen no matter what i have open and so on. My Question is; what are the ways to fix it, if any?

I presume i couldg et a USB or PCMIA soundcard, but i thought i'd ask about suggestions first. Maybe it relates to PC activity (i've read that).... i will have to test this, but i'm not sure...

Any help appreciated,

Alucrep

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 8
Laptop/Notebook audio solutions / headphone outputs are generally poor for several reasons. Here are a few:

Cost – in an effort to keep total unit costs down, most notebook makers use low-grade, low-cost components in the audio section. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Consumers, by and large, expect that each generation of PC should be more powerful and more feature-laden than the previous models…while at the same time, being cheaper. Cheap components & outsourced labor are the inevitable result of this market reality. Microsoft does lay forth some minimum requirements regarding audio quality (PC9x…actually I’m not sure if these are still enforced), but the requirements are not all that stringent, and certainly don’t go very far in ensuring a quality audio solution on a PC.

Fairly low consumer expectations regarding notebook PC audio quality – This is a broad generalization, but most users simply don’t expect much from their notebooks in terms of audio quality. If they can hear reasonably clear sound coming out of the (often tiny) speakers, and the headphone jack sounds “ok”, it’s pretty much good enough for most users. Most users understand that the audio isn’t going to be world-class coming out of the notebook, and thus set their expectations accordingly. If audio quality was a top-3, super-important purchase criteria for the majority of users, you’d see a more concerned focus in this area from the top tier PC makers…but frankly, it isn’t…so they don’t.

It’s tough to get clean audio out of a notebook. - Consider that a notebook audio solution is a challenge to nail down from an engineering standpoint. The big issue is finding layout space to create a dedicated analog ground plane, and to route signals cleanly & away from the noisy, high-speed digital sections. Notebook motherboard PCB’s are literally JAM PACKED from side-to-side & top-to-bottom with signal routing, and generally are 6 layers deep, with many that are 8 or even 10 layers of signal routing deep. The fact that the audio solutions on these notebooks sound even remotely decent is a miracle frankly. Connect a set of powered speakers to almost any notebook headphone jack & crank up those powered speakers (no music playing)…99% of the time your will hear at least some system noise, especially if you do certain things like Ethernet transfers, USB transfers, hard disk activity, move the cursor with the touchpad…stuff like that. It’s nearly impossible to avoid really. And the reality is, the audio section is often an afterthought when laying out a motherboard. Almost every other sub-system on the board is deemed “more critical” from a layout perspective. Audio is often filled in late in the game & left with the challenge of making the best of it with the space that’s left over. Sad, but true.

Peace,

Graz

Mar 29, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks...yeh it doesn't look good
eek.gif

How does your work setup sound though?

Mar 29, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

How does your work setup sound though?

Well.......since you asked......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It sounds badass to my ears. I'm in love with my office rig.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Peace,

Graz

Mar 29, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 8
Nice man, well seems it is possible even using a note book to get a goodo sound....it would at least be better than my rig now (anything would be i'd suggest:p)...

Keep listening aye

Thanks again
etysmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

...well seems it is possible even using a note book to get a goodo sound

actually...the total cost of all the audio gear hanging off the notebook exceeds the cost of the notebook itself.
eek.gif

Peace,

Graz

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 8
A new Q...what about adding some kind of compressor or 'hum eliminator' like they have for guitars (yeh i play guitar) after the heaphone socket...because i dont mind my headphone sound out of the jack with some EQ tweaking and volume adjustment, but like i just have this layer of hiss...

Any suggestions. Also, how does the USB M-audio transit go...or some of the cheaper USB audio units under the section at the top here, such as the Philips or the ABIT...?

Thanks

Alucrep

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 8
AFAIR the Philips Aurilium is rather nice actually (you can spend as much and more on inferior CMedia based solutions). The SB Live! 24-bit USB might be interesting for you, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back