Laptop for College
Jun 4, 2007 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

TheProdigy

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I graduated from high school, and I have some money to buy a computer for next year. I really don't know where to start, but I'm sure someone here does. I will be a music education major, so I'm gonna need some power to run music notation software- alot of ram? Portability is not a big issue, but I do want to be able to carry it to the library.

So my criteria-
RAM- at least 2 gb
Windows-I don't really care for Mac
-XP or Vista?
Intel Core 2 Duo
Networking capibilities
Somewhat large screen -15 in. would work

What brands would be recommended? I'm looking at Dell right now

Oh yeah- I really don't want to spend more than $2000 on this, because I also have to buy a new clarinet- >$1000
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 30
I'm a Dell fan.
My XPS M1210 is running Vista flawlessly with it's 2,5GB of ram. I would suggest it for you but you want 15" screen. You may look then for the other XPS options (17" and 20"), they rock ...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProdigy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not saying I want 15'', that's the minimum; but I really don't want to go above $2000- is that even reasonable?

I know it's not 15", that's why i suggested the XPS 17" and 20" ...

EDIT: I just checked the price and the 17" starts at $2,299 with only 1GB of ram. No way you want a 12"?

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenochimera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm probably lenovo thinkpad.

x2. Thinkpads are rugged and reliable. I bought my GF an X31 for law school (compact and light). I had a Thinkpad issued when I was a consultant and travelled all over the place with it. They are not the prettiest computers however.

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 30
Given your (respectable) preferences, what you *really* want to do is purchase a good new (or possibly fine used) HP laptop. Forget $2000 - you ought to be able to get something that is toeing the state-of-the-art for about $1200.00 or less.

For Heavens Sake! Do Not Buy Vista Yet! It's got another 4-5 years before it becomes a mature OS. Windows XP should do you fine for the next 8 years.

Don't waste your money looking for a stock laptop that arrives with 2 gig memory. Buy a laptop that has a singe 1 gig chip and then buy a significant other from NewEgg or Mwave or whathaveyeh.

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 30
Take this for example: it possesses all the requirements you've specified with the exception of the ram (which NewEgg will remedy):

HP Pavilion dv5220us Entertainment Notebook PC, refurbished - $729.99

Frankly though, in terms of overall build quality and warranty (very important long-term considerations) I am a very big fan of HP Corporate laptops. I dig their magnesium reinforced cases too.

NX7400 - Notebook PC- RB530UT#ABA ($156 instant savings!) $879.00 (plus you buy two new dims of memory from NewEgg).

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't waste your money looking for a stock laptop that arrives with 2 gig memory. Buy a laptop that has a singe 1 gig chip and then buy a significant other from NewEgg or Mwave or whathaveyeh.

Agree.
I bought my XPS M1210 with 1GB of ram and bought later a 2GB stick from newegg.com. It's a LOT cheaper ...

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take this for example: it possesses all the requirements you've specified with the exception of the ram (which NewEgg will remedy):

HP Pavilion dv5220us Entertainment Notebook PC, refurbished - $729.99

Frankly though, in terms of overall build quality and warranty (very important long-term considerations) I am a very big fan of HP Corporate laptops. I dig their magnesium reinforced cases too.

NX7400 - Notebook PC- RB530UT#ABA ($156 instant savings!) $879.00 (plus you buy two new dims of memory from NewEgg).

The HP corporate laptops, while not very aesthetically attractive, are probably excellent choices here. They'll be cheap, you can get a piggy-back external battery (longer battery time when you want it, lighter travel weight when you don't need it), docking station...

My company issues them - they're really not bad. Second the comments about Vista - it is Not Ready for Prime Time.

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 30
1 vote for ACER

i bought mine 1 year ago for $1400 and have had NO problems. 3 of my friends also bought the same computer and havent had issues with theirs either.

coreduo 2300 (1.6ghz)
2gigs ddr2 ram
15.4" widescreen
ati x1400
120gig hdd
dual layer dvd burner

you could probably find a similar one for under $1000 now and will do everything you want.

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 30
Check deals2buy.com, bensbargains.net, and slickdeals.net. There are always deals going on. First laptop on bens fits your specs but its at BestBuy which I think is usually a terrible deal. Just look in the histories of those sites to see how low the deals were in the past couple months so you can recognize a good deal. Or just go with the ThinkPad. Loved mine until computers at school and work were faster. You might want to also consider buying a cheap laptop now and then another one in 2 years so you don't have to worry about 3/4 year warranties or the conditions old age brings to a laptop (battery doesn't hold charge, its relatively slow, better screens are out, hard disk relatively small/slower, can only play 8 year old starcraft...) Good luck with it.

Jun 4, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 30
One thing:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProdigy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XP or Vista?

XP, absolutely.
Ask for a laptop with no operating system on, or with Linux. It'll spare you a few bucks, and then you can format and install your copy of XP on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back