[laptop + external soundcard + amp] vs [DAP + amp]
May 22, 2007 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

qscq

Head-Fier
I might buy a laptop this year and I wonder if I should buy external soundcard + amp for it. Other option is to buy a laptop and a more portable rig (DAP + amp) for more versatile use. I have come to conclusion that I don't want to invest on speakers.

I wonder about the price/SQ ratio between these two options. Of course I have to think the greater portability as a great benefit.

Let's say the dap would cost 200-300dollars, the amp 200-300dollars.

I don't know much about the price of good external soundcards. But this query isn't about specific products. I would listen my music throught one of the options only with shure E4's (and much later maybe with other headphones), mainly at student apartment or my parents house.

So, what are the differences when comparing same amount on money invested on [external soundcard + amp] vs [DAP + amp]?

May 23, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 7
I have both the [external soundcard + amp] and [DAP + amp]. My Audigy ZS notebook has a very clean lineout. I really don't mind amping it with my tomahawk. I sounds quite good. However, it is sometimes more convenient to use a DAP instead of lugging around my computer. You are right with your prices. So I'd say your probably going to end up getting both. But If I had to start, I would get the soundcard, because you don't have to amp that if you don't want to. Eventually you will see how much easier it is to have a DAP (at least I did). But it is your choice. I [external soundcard + amp] vs [DAP + amp]? I suggest you to get the soundcard combo!

May 23, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, I have meizu m6 but I have heard that its HP out isn't very flattering with amps. That's why I would probably have to get another DAP for proper line-out.

It seems that you got E4's, how are they with only a soundcard, you notice the difference at all?

So it there much difference in SQ if you compare your [portable rig] vs [laptop + external soundcard (+amp)]?

I tried [Meizu m6] vs [cd-player (forgot the name) with X-CAN v2] with E4's. It really opened my eyes (ears) to everything I have been missing.

May 23, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by qscq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have meizu m6 but I have heard that its HP out isn't very flattering with amps. That's why I would probably have to get another DAP for proper line-out.

It seems that you got E4's, how are they with only a soundcard, you notice the difference at all? I tried [Meizu m6] vs [cd-player (forgot the name) with X-CAN v2]. It really opened my eyes (ears) to everything I have been missing.

You mean the cd player opened your eyes or vice versa?

May 23, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I have enjoyed my setup with my Macbook Pro from Apple. If you can get an Apple laptop, they have optical out, which you can feed directly into a DAC such as the MicroDAC and bypass the soundcard issue totally. It's not that portable, however. If that is a concern, you need a DAP.

May 23, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 7
I have an Echo Indigo DJ, and it has both a line out and it's own amp. So if you have an amp, the DAC/Line-out in it is PHENOMENAL. But if you don't have one, the amp on the DJ is no slouch either. It's very neutral however. It doesn't color the sound at all like other amps do, so what you hear is what you get. It doesn't add punch, bass, highs....it's the ideal amp for many, pretty refrencey IMO.

Look at it this way. Chances are, you're going to have your laptop on you when listening to music at a place like a library, or house, or whatever. So the SMART CONSUMER in us should tell us to spend a minimal amount on a DAP because, the DAP would only really be listened to on physical activities like at the gym or whatever, where the laptop isn't a viable option. And most often than not, the laptop will almost always be an option.

My vote? Laptop -> Indigo DJ -> IC of your choice -> amp of your choice....you will not be disappointed. Seriously...the Indigo DJ is no joke...

May 23, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by qscq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. It seems that you got E4's, how are they with only a soundcard, you notice the difference at all?

2. So it there much difference in SQ if you compare your [portable rig] vs [laptop + external soundcard (+amp)]?

Question 1: They sound great with only the sound card! I do notice a difference with an amp though. It brings out (brings to the front) the highs and lows. It also widens the sound stage. It makes a noticable difference.

Question 2: There is a difference, but it is not as noticable. If I really look for it I can notice it. The Zen:m has a very nice sound coming out of the line out, and with the proper files encoded just right, its very hard to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back