Laptop -> e5 -> headphones : Success or FAIL?
Mar 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey.

My computer has an annoying hiss type of noise from the onboard soundcard. Will a fiio e5 connected through the headphone out make any difference for me when I listen to my headphones?
(Sound quality or taking away the hiss or just about anything)

That is: Laptop ---> e5 ---> headphones

Let me know! Thanks

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Only if the hiss is a constant level as you adjust the volume. If the hiss increases as you increase the volume control, you are stuck. I would only recommend the E5 if you also plan to use it with a DAP. If you want something just for the laptop, save up for a USB sound card. (You didn't mention a budget but since you are looking at the E5, I'm assuming it isn't very much.) An inline volume control will eliminate the hiss and will only cost a few bucks. Some head-fi'ers dislike inline volume controls, but if it cleans up a noisy source that's like 3 steps forward, 1 step back.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want something just for the laptop, save up for a USB sound card.

A USB DAC or DAC/Amp combo would completely bypass the onboard sound and it's noise.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 6
ummm.....FAIL...

why?

Garbage in, garbage out. If you source isnt good, you amping that isnt going to make it any better.

You need a USB DAC/AMP pretty much if you going to use a PC as your source. There are a few sound cards that can produce some great sound, however, DAC/AMP will be cheaper.

Summary - Will a 20$ amp make a cheap on board sound card sound better? guess =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back