Laptop DACs - Pico vs D1 vs Indigo
Mar 1, 2008 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kostalex

Headphoneus Supremus
I have Echo Indigo DJ which is built around AK4393 DAC. I consider to upgrade it either to Pico (based on WM8740) or Ibasso D1 (based on CS4398).

Is it worthless to upgrade Echo Indigo DJ to Pico or Ibasso D1?

I am looking for SQ alone, convenience and amp section does not matter. I appreciate the answer from anybody who compared them (pair or three). It is also usefull if anybody compared any other good devices based on the same chips. This is why I mentioned DACs chips.

FYI: DACs official specs - Dynamic range, S/N / THD + N :
  1. AK4393 - 120 / -100
  2. WM8740 - 117 / -104
  3. CS4398 - 120 / -107
P.S. Yeah, I understand that DAC chip itself does not determine SQ in a whole.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 17
Seems like you have already answered your own question. Personally I would go for the Pico due to the fact that Justin is one of the best amp builders out there and because of the size.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like you have already answered your own question.

I don't think so. Yes, Pico is FOTM, but I can not find any direct comparison of its DAC section to Echo or D1.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 17
If you are even considering the Pico then I recommend you get in line as you wont have to pay till your unit will be ready to shipped. If you are aware that the chip doesn't dictate sound quality then why did you list the chips? These are the chips in the comparison, but I know the chip doesn't have anything to do with sound quality. Yes you did answer your own question. I also say that the Pico is not the FOTM.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 17
Well, the question was:

I appreciate the answer from anybody who compared them (pair or three). It is also usefull if anybody compared any other good devices based on the same chips. This is why I mentioned DACs chips.

I'm already in line for Pico. I hate lines, so I'm looking for some alternative to Pico.

And yes, I already have very nice portable amp, Meier Move.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 17
I updated OP with more exact question.

Dorito123,

you really helped me to clarify the original question. Thank you very much!

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 17
I think I found an article you may want to read. It refers to the absolute superiority of AC powered amps for reference headphones like your 650s and D2000s. I understand you may want to upgrade your Dac as you are using a PC card dac that probably doesn't have the best sound quality, however if you invest in a great dac like the pico then you will still need an AC powered amp to fully realize the potential of headphones like your 650s. Therefore I would recommend something like the Meier Cantate, or the Opera. I only have experience with one of the products on your list but my instinct is that a PC card powered by a noisy computer will not give you sound quality on par with the D1 or the Pico. As far as the Pico and the D1 I would say the Pico would be superior unless you absolutely need to have coax and optical inputs. Anyway here is the thread, let me know what you think.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/dis...9/#post3367121

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 17
Thank you, Dorito123 for bumping my thread with the answers to someone else questions.

May anybody help on my matter?

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the question was:

I appreciate the answer from anybody who compared them (pair or three). It is also usefull if anybody compared any other good devices based on the same chips. This is why I mentioned DACs chips.

I'm already in line for Pico. I hate lines, so I'm looking for some alternative to Pico.

And yes, I already have very nice portable amp, Meier Move.

I used to own Echo Indigo DJ and Pico is a HUGE step up from it. Cannot comment on IBasso, but judging by just technical spec of Pico (USB-I2S, chip, upsampling) and my comparison with Stello DA100 where Pico fared surprisingly well, I doubt that Ibasso can reach that level. You may find this thread useful
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/com...inidac-291801/
If there is any DAC of that size competitive with Pico, the only one I can think of is Apogee Duet, but it's limited to Firewire and Mac OS only.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 17
Чебурашка is not a beast.
biggrin.gif

Some Pico teasers
mg0529sl1.jpg

mg0549cl4.jpg

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 17
Красиво живешь
smily_headphones1.gif
(You are lucky man). This photo is one of the reasons I am in the line for Pico now. And I'll be there for the next two month at least. This is why I am tryng to find any alternative to the Pico.

Love the Pico, hate the line.
Love the Denon, hate its cables.
What with all these vendors?

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Красиво живешь
smily_headphones1.gif
(You are lucky man). This photo is one of the reasons I am in the line for Pico now. And I'll be there for the next two month at least. This is why I am tryng to find any alternative to the Pico.

Love the Pico, hate the line.
Love the Denon, hate its cables.
What with all these vendors?

If you are after DAC only, I'd recommend DA100, sometimes http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...dition-301545/
you can get an amazing deal, unfortunately doesn't happen very often. Monitor auidogon too. Or just get the new one :: Headphone/Preamp & USB-DAC :: HiFi500 :: info@hifi500.com ::. There is a new Signature model with I2S input and balanced output at $200 more, so the chance of someone unloading the old is increasing.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are after DAC only, I'd recommend DA100, sometimes http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...dition-301545/
you can get an amazing deal, unfortunately doesn't happen very often. Monitor auidogon too. Or just get the new one :: Headphone/Preamp & USB-DAC :: HiFi500 :: info@hifi500.com ::. There is a new Signature model with I2S input and balanced output at $200 more, so the chance of someone unloading the old is increasing.

That is a great price on the Stello.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back