Mar 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stevenjchang

500+ Head-Fier
i have an hp laptop, and i like to save money

i'm debating whether to

a) get a new (imitation brand) 6 cell - $40
b) get a used Genuine HP 6 cell - $40
c) get a new (imitation brand) 12 cell - $55

i think $65/75 is a bit much for a new 6 cell (Genuine) when i can get a imitation 12 cell for less.

i can't find any concrete opinion on fake batteries. i'm sure there are one's that are crap, but are there also one's that function just as well as the original?

hp laptop battery doesnt last too long anyways, even the genuine one's

and SECOND QUESTION
) what are some issues you guys might have run into when u bought an imitation brand battery, is there a 25% chance it might mess up my computer (like a meltdown)? or it'll just hold less of a charge or die sooner?

thanks.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 10
There are good 3rd party batteries (not to be confused with fakes or imitations) out there. I do not know about notebooks, but I bought a £7 third party battery for my Canon G9 and it is great (400-500 shots per charge). The original battery costs £50!

I once bought a Mugen extended battery for my old iPAQ from proporta. They are great and lasted years, but it doesn't seem they make replacement notebook batteries.

:::::: MUGEN POWER BATTERIES :::::: More POWER More ENERGY :::::: PDA BATTERIES :::::: EXTENDED BATTERIES :::::: SMARTPHONE BATTERIES ::::::

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 10
it is so ridiculous how hard this is,
HP doesnt even publish the the official Volt and Watt that their genuine oem battery has
on their OWN hp.com, plus, a ton of user give their genuine battery 2 stars of less for being so crappy, on their own hp.com, no one even give it 4 stars or more

hp dv4 btw

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try asking at:

Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion - Powered by vBulletin

Plenty of knowledgeable folks there.

woah thanks, never stumbled onto the forum section of that site
this is awesome, ever thread in there is somewhat relevant

REP to you

PS ~ i think i'm gonna find the cheapest generic battery (not from HK) that has a warranty that i think has over a 50% chance of being honored.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Do you still have warranty? If you want to keep that warranty i'd get an official battery replacement (which I woul do anyway, though i'm sure there are some better third party batteries out there).

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 10
I have an aftermarket battery for my 12" powerbook. Super cheap, more mA than the stock one. Working out awesome so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an aftermarket battery for my 12" powerbook. Super cheap, more mA than the stock one. Working out awesome so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

was it from ebay? care to share the seller's name?
does it have warranty on it?--- i'm not sure how much i trust ebay warranties,

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Ah, I had this issue with my eeepc extended runtime battery.

Ended up buying a 10400mha battery from dealextreme. Cost me even less than what ebay would've charged. Seems to be running OK at the moment. 2-hours ish with wifi on and actually doing work, have yet to test how long it'll last with wifi off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back