Land of the LOW FI
May 9, 2005 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

das_bill

100+ Head-Fier
For a long time I listened to music on the go constantly. This meant lots of pairs of headphones. Plus I was in idiot. In my credit I only bought 1 pair of these headphones. The rest came with PCDP and multiple Walkman and MiniDisc Players.

PICT0338.JPG

Still I probably have about 10 other pairs of cheap headphone buried in all my stuff. I tried out a few of them and WOW, how far I have come. I almost cried listening to them. After about 5 seconds with each one I was ready to smash them into dust. Even my ER 6i and A500 headphones BLEW THEM OUT OF THE WATER. I was amazed. I can never go back...

DAMN YOU HEAD-FI. I am now on the prowl for some AT-W100(0)s. UP UP AND AWAY!

May 9, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 59
Geesh another one,

You tell yourself just one more day, just one more peek during work, just one more post, just one more upgrade, Next, there are headphones all over the floor, in the bathroom, in your soup. Your friends and family fail to recognize you because your hair is always messed up.

You start to panic, you swear off the cans. You go to church, you get a spouse. But one day, while walking your dog, you see the billboard; calling you, mocking you with instilled longing. The HD700 is coming...

click click, your back. You have never felt so alive.

May 9, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 59
it's funny to think that for the same price as the orpheus, you could have about 1400 pairs of those phones.

May 9, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Geesh another one,

You tell yourself just one more day, just one more peek during work, just one more post, just one more upgrade.

How true. I'm thinking about some Grado's or Alessandro's next. Just got my first portable amp. Damn this place
icon10.gif

May 9, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayzian
This thread deserves something truly low-fi.

http://www.clubic.com/photo/00031898.jpg

Talk about the worst headphones of all time. I had a pair. After that I got fed up and got some sennheisers. I will show you a sweet pic of me wearing a broken pair of those when I find it... haha. I think I have every pair of cheap sony headphones ever. Well, for the last 10 years anyway. My friends and parents kept buying me them for presents cause I would break them after a few months.

And they were mostly streetstyle because I am a hat wearer. Go Cubs!

May 9, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayzian
This thread deserves something truly low-fi.

00031898.jpg

I see those everywhere, there for i assume they are ******? am i correct? i've never heard anybody mention those things before.

May 9, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 59
dont knock those headphones too hard. they are AWSOME for testing amps when you dont want to risk damaging something you care about. seriously. they are great for that.

May 9, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 59
My nomination for worst headphone ever? Sony MDR-101. Admittedly they were like $5-$10 portable supraaural cans, but the frequency response was awfully weird even for shortwave listening, not to mention the excessive distortion. - EDIT: These would probably qualify for "no-fi"... I like that one.
smily_headphones1.gif
- (BTW, my DT231s are quite nice for SWLing.)

Some other wierdos:
Old pair of Sharp headphones using 8 ohm speaker drivers (!) from the 80s. Hollow as hell and just as heavy. The volume pots quickly burned out on those.

Cheapo supraaural cans with mono/stereo selection. Boy these really were uncomfortably clamping.

A really positive surprise were the earbuds supplied with Degen receivers like the DE105. Sure they're somewhat mids and lower highs centric and don't have too much bass and upper highs, but they're fairly clean sounding otherwise.

May 9, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 59
OK whos gonna post a pic of their triports?
this thread is so stupid... I MUST post a pic... tonight my pics are coming:

Creative OEM streetstyle
Koss KSC12
Audio technica DR-HX100

**edit**
Add to that some creative OEM earbuds

Garrett

May 9, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
dont knock those headphones too hard. they are AWSOME for testing amps when you dont want to risk damaging something you care about. seriously. they are great for that.

Good one

I have some Maxell ED425 "canalphones" that I would like to put up against some of the headphones you guys have sugjested as the worst you have tried. No doubt they are all some of the worlds worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back