Lance Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned for life from cycling, etc.
Oct 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #76 of 134
Quote:
Former competitive amateur in college, specifically mountain biking, and I used OTC amphetamines and HGH. The ones who are the most vehemently against doping are typically the ones who are hiding it.
Only he, and his trainer, would likely know what he was using at the time.

I've never heard of a cyclist using speed. When were you in college?

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #77 of 134

Early 90s. It worked but you needed twice as much hydration.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #78 of 134
...I've never seen a single cyclist work as hard as Lance Armstrong on his racing technique. He was by far the hardest working cyclist among any I've witnessed, no one even came close. He was driven like no one on two wheels. After he won each Tour he would take maybe 2 weeks off and get back on the road training. He practiced different pedaling cadences for different situations, uphill, downhill, straight away, time trails.

He slept in an oxygen chamber, the food he digested was measured in joules and when he urinated his urine was measured for its joule content just to see how much energy his body was using during his training. He never let up. When the stages of each tour were announced he would go and ride each stage and then on the next day ride it again just to become familiar with the route. In terms of training and will power there was Lance in one universe and every other rider in another far off lesser universe.

All this shows me is a picture of a guy that will do absolutely anything to win, and in the Tour culture that certainly includes doping.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #79 of 134

Now that I think about it, how could you not know about cyclists using amphetamines, considering some famous ones have actually have been busted or have died from their use? That's sort of weird. :confused:

http://bikepure.org/resources/list-of-banned-substances/types-of-drugs-and-methods-used-in-cycling/

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #80 of 134
Quote:
Now that I think about it, how could you not know about cyclists using amphetamines, considering some famous ones have actually have been busted or have died from their use? That's sort of weird.
confused.gif

http://bikepure.org/resources/list-of-banned-substances/types-of-drugs-and-methods-used-in-cycling/

lol you had to look it up? I've never known any cyclist that took speed. I recall that Ullrich was caught off-season and IIRC Fignon during a TT. Speed has never been a problem in cycling. It wasn't even in widespread use outside of sprints and certainly not since the Pemoline test was introduced. It's contraindicated in long stages as tachycardia is not considered an edge.

I just took a pic of what's in my fridge... so you took this when you were competing in MTB racing?

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #81 of 134
September 21, 2012 ---- Congressmen Seek More Oversight of U.S. Antidoping Agency ----http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/sports/cycling/congressmen-seek-more-oversight-of-us-antidoping-agency.html?ref=lancearmstrong

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #82 of 134
But again every person interviewed or that made a statement, was given a lesser ban or reduced sentence. This flaws their investigation. You can not tell if their statement was legit. One failed test, was disproven with saddle cream. Again there is not one test that is overwhelming evidence like in baseball. He said she said. Guilty by association is all I see. I still support him and Livestrong because his cancer was not fake and neither was his training. Witch hunt.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #83 of 134
Quote:
But again every person interviewed or that made a statement, was given a lesser ban or reduced sentence. This flaws their investigation. You can not tell if their statement was legit. One failed test, was disproven with saddle cream. Again there is not one test that is overwhelming evidence like in baseball. He said she said. Guilty by association is all I see. I still support him and Livestrong because his cancer was not fake and neither was his training. Witch hunt.

Dude! The doc responsible for back-dating the cortisone script was banned.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #84 of 134
lol you had to look it up? I've never known any cyclist that took speed. I recall that Ullrich was caught off-season and IIRC Fignon during a TT. Speed has never been a problem in cycling. It wasn't even in widespread use outside of sprints and certainly not since the Pemoline test was introduced. It's contraindicated in long stages as tachycardia is not considered an edge.

I just took a pic of what's in my fridge... so you took this when you were competing in MTB racing?

My past indiscretions aren't important and I feel this isn't the right place for that discussion.

However, yes amphetamines were a problem in cycling, but that was decades ago.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #85 of 134
Quote:
Dude! The doc responsible for back-dating the cortisone script was banned.

Now I never knew that one. Interesting.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #86 of 134
Quote:
Former competitive amateur in college, specifically mountain biking, and I used OTC amphetamines and HGH. The ones who are the most vehemently against doping are typically the ones who are hiding it.
Only he, and his trainer, would likely know what he was using at the time.

I see
Quote:
My past indiscretions aren't important and I feel this isn't the right place for that discussion.

Sheesh, I suppose nothing changes really does it...

Seeing as you mention that many Pro Bikers use performance enhancers it makes me really doubt sports in general -.- 

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #88 of 134
Over The Counter, meaning at the time you could get them without prescription. You've not encountered the term Over The Counter before? One major benefit was taking them at a certain time near the end of the race, it was like a second wind.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #89 of 134

They were used widely in many sports, and were quite popular at least as far back as the days of the Bambino, who took a variety called "bennies".

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #90 of 134
Quote:
Over The Counter, meaning at the time you could get them without prescription. You've not encountered the term Over The Counter before? One major benefit was taking them at a certain time near the end of the race, it was like a second wind.

There are no such animal as OTC amphetamines, not since 1959 anyway. So you were taking Benzedrine, eh? You must be in your mid 70s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back