LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Feb 9, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #857 of 1,046
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #858 of 1,046
How is the sound?
They're certainly more attractive in terms of size. I had to redo my audio shelving to accommodate the EL51s.
warmer, more holographic, not as mid forward. More changes could come as I said above, i'm still burning my pair in.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #859 of 1,046
So I finally got my Baltic 4 60 short hours ago. I had a Pontus 2. I felt I needed to get end game to complete my system. I wasn't sure what the tubes were going to do for me before my LTA amp. Wasn't sure how much improvement a DAC was going to get me. Right out of the box... Mind blowing.

I expected the same as every upgrade I ever did. All the criteria gets better, how much and worth it is debatable. I think this may end up being a bigger improvement that going from SS to the LTA.

Image and stage don't even begin to explain how HUGE the sound is. It's 3D. Just crazy. Still having a hard time understanding it. The weight, texture, resolution are just nuts. I'm still breaking it in, but completely unexpected. I never imagined this was possible.

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #860 of 1,046
I have 6 days on my Lampi now. It is just nuts. First, I am one of those guys that don't really get much out of burning gear in. I mean I do, but I listen everyday because I want to... and over that time, it is difficult for me to tell how much it improved... because of course you can't go back and compare. The manual says 3 days opens up, 7 day more... I usually leave on for 10 days and call it done. So... I does sound amazing.

I put the stock tubes back in to break in and see what difference they make. Manual say 20% rectifier, 60% 6SN7s, 20%12BH7s? IDK. Right away I thought the stock tubes sounded pretty good. I did list to a bit. Still sounded great, but the magic was gone. Just everything diminished. It still sounded like it was voiced the same. Put my new JAN RCA 5R4GY back in... nope, that is better. Not like drastic, but you can tell. More weight, more texture. Next were 3 hole Bad Boys 6SN7s... Oh ya, there it is... it's back. everything was just much better. I do think it follows manual... biggest change. Next the 12BH7s had to go and back to my Mazda 12AU7s. Yep, magic. Just crazy.

I had stuff to do and did not have time to listen.... which is exactly what I did for the next 2 hours. I couldn't stop. No more endless audiophile crap... just started going through play lists. Modern Rock... basically grunge era. A-Chains, Soundgarden. I'm no big fan of Nirvana but their stuff sounds amazing. Something in the Way is just super spooky... Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Rage, Foo fighters, Green Day, Audio Slave... all of it was the cliched... brand new never heard it like that before music. I don't listen to it regulatory on good stuff... mostly MP3 workout... it's like a whole new catalog.

All my new Alternative..., Glass Animals, Neighborhood, Florence... hell EDM... Just nuts. Paul Oakenford "GO"... I literally thought it was a remix... never, I mean ever, have I heard "that" song before. Part of it really is because I never have spent a lot of time listening to good stuff. A lot was when I was training and crappy ear buds. I always listen to music in my vehicle and my system is really good. All active crossovers with DSP and 3-way front stage, Focal/JL Audio gear... but still, it's a vehicle. And... I have listened to my playlists with my old system and headphone setup... utopias even.

But what this DAC does, in a 2.1ch, with space, and stage, and holography... a realisim that is "alive"... just floored with what it does to my catalog of favs. Just can't wait to get back to it...

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #861 of 1,046
Mar 18, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #862 of 1,046
I agree with you with the Lampi sound on a 2.1 speaker system ,My 2.1 system has never sounded better.
Dude... I can't even believe what it does to my SVS 3000SB. Absolutely nuts. Ya, it's bass what else do you think it is.... it's like being suspended in a warm pool of goo. Its not volume or quantity. Heck, I turned it down a notch... just how it FILLS the room, it has touch, feel. Just wow! Even that is completely unexpected.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #863 of 1,046
If anyone is interested my Atlantic TRP is in the classifieds.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #864 of 1,046
If anyone has a pair of KR242 tubes they'll like to sell, please PM me.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #865 of 1,046
Yeah, unfortunately as you know, KR242 are very scarce, or even unobtanium these days which is a bummer. That is what I run in both of my GG2's. Both were optimized at the factory to run 242's.

A very good and close alternative is the KR PX-25. I like them quite a bit in the GG2. I think you can still get these, or at least one dealer said they could source them, but not sure if they are still being produced or if this is just existing stock from prior production.

Last year, due to the Best300B going out of business, I asked Lampi in Poland about the future of KR242's. They said they were not aware of any permanent plan to cease production of 242's but it seems KR Audio has yet to re-start production. Hopefully this is just a temporary situation.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #866 of 1,046
If anyone has a pair of KR242 tubes they'll like to sell, please PM me.
Put wanted to buy adds on WBF or audio mart that's what I did to get Rk242s.new horizon owners may have some 4 sale.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #867 of 1,046
I recently swapped out my JAN RCA 5R4GY with a Sophia Electric 274B mesh... Took another leap forward with space, air, depth, dimension... I put plenty of hours on it. I have plenty of hours on the DAC.. Few hundred. I ordered a pair of NOS RCA 12BH7s to see if they make a difference being a bigger tube. Right now I'm still in awe at what this DAC does. Didn't even know it was possible. Coming from a Pontus... I have zero doubts a Terminator or Holo May is all that for clarity and resolution, dynamics... But no way they touch what Lampizator does. Makes me forget all about 1s and 0s. Don't even care what's in the box or how high the resolution.... It's just so moving. Melt into every note.

Here's the funny thing... My Heritage Specials really are special. They play everything the DAC can give. (I think). Plenty of bookshelf are on par, but all together, I think I have a remarkable setup. I haven't even picked up my headphones.... Well I did. My Clear OGs... Ya... They were definitely at their limit. Nothing real special, with the Lampi. I totally gave up on the stage with HPs... There is none... But the spaciousness doesn't translate, the air, decay, reverb... How special the lampi is does not really play on the clear. Oh, they still sound good, clean. I like the Focal sound... Just not real impressed. Even binaural... Just no
space. Bummer.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #868 of 1,046
If anyone is interested my Atlantic TRP is in the classifieds.
I might be interested. I’ve been looking for another dac that has more layering and a greater holographic sound. Upon an quick initial view, Lampi’s website doesn’t really make the differences between each of their models. How does the Atlantic differ from the Baltic? If there’s a resource you would recommend I check out, please let me know.

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #869 of 1,046
I might be interested. I’ve been looking for another dac that has more layering and a greater holographic sound. Upon an quick initial view, Lampi’s website doesn’t really make the differences between each of their models. How does the Atlantic differ from the Baltic? If there’s a resource you would recommend I check out, please let me know.
Your best bet is to follow the link in my ad to what's best forum. That's the most active Lampi source.

Once there search for trp vs Baltic. I've not heard the Baltic myself, but the TRP is now the 2nd in the Lampi line. Only the Horizon is above it and that's over 30 k usd

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #870 of 1,046
Your best bet is to follow the link in my ad to what's best forum. That's the most active Lampi source.

Once there search for trp vs Baltic. I've not heard the Baltic myself, but the TRP is now the 2nd in the Lampi line. Only the Horizon is above it and that's over 30 k usd

Yes, the Horizon's over USD 30k, like ~$51K :wink: The semi-Legacy models, such as the GG, are an option. Looking at HiFi Shark, there are two earlier GG's at decent prices, both parts upgraded by Lampi and with VC, and one balanced. Both seem ripe for the GG3 upgrade (Engine 11). $5K according to one of the ads. If I didn't have an upgraded GG2/3 already, I might consider the balanced one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back