LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Jan 25, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #841 of 1,054
I agree these Legacy DAC's won't be further developed... in other words, we will never see a Golden Gate 4, etc., however, if say a new digital engine is developed in the future, which is assured to be the case, or some new internal power supply, or USB module, etc. that is introduced in the future for the regular DAC line, Lampi would surely allow you to send in your Legacy DAC to have any new part installed, should you wish to do so.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #842 of 1,054
I agree these Legacy DAC's won't be further developed... in other words, we will never see a Golden Gate 4, etc., however, if say a new digital engine is developed in the future, which is assured to be the case, or some new internal power supply, or USB module, etc. that is introduced in the future for the regular DAC line, Lampi would surely allow you to send in your Legacy DAC to have any new part installed, should you wish to do so.

I read the statement to the effect that wouldn't be the case, i.e., what "They will not be - from 2023 onwards - developed further" means in plain English. That's the whole point of legacy, that they are no longer in the main lineup and so don't get treated as if they are, for new or upgrade. Feel free to ask Lukasz for clarification.

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #843 of 1,054
Legacy dacs can be updated to engine eleven at a heavy cost, only pacific not offered engine eleven upgrade due to
no noticeable sound improvement according to Lukas

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #845 of 1,054
Not right now. That program is currently on hold. But, I've heard it might come back later in the year.

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #847 of 1,054
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #848 of 1,054
As a follow up to the conversation about "Legacy" model Lampizator DAC's (Big 7, Golden Gate, Pacific):

1. These DAC's will continue be made to order. They are not being phased out or being left to become obsolete.

2. The only difference between the Legacy models and other models is, Lampi doesn't expect to roll out new versions of these DAC's all the time like they will with the rest of the line and have no current plans for updates. That doesn't mean they will never update them, they just don't feel the need to do so on a continual basis because they feel they are already pretty maxed out.

3. When you order a Legacy DAC, you can special order it with any part you want as long as it is technically compatible. This has always been the case with all Lampi DAC's and that will continue to be the case with "Legacy" models. So, it doesn't really matter if for example a new digital engine is released next year. You can order it with that engine. Whatever new parts or designs that exist at the time you order your Legacy DAC you'd just contact Lampi tech department and find out if it will be beneficial or technically possible.

4. If you buy a Legacy model DAC, you can always send it to Lampi at a later date for upgrades, whether it is 1 or 10 years from now. Again, no different than any other DAC.

That comes straight from the man himself in an email to me.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #849 of 1,054
As a follow up to the conversation about "Legacy" model Lampizator DAC's (Big 7, Golden Gate, Pacific):

1. These DAC's will continue be made to order. They are not being phased out or being left to become obsolete.

2. The only difference between the Legacy models and other models is, Lampi doesn't expect to roll out new versions of these DAC's all the time like they will with the rest of the line. That doesn't mean they will never update them, they just don't feel the need to do so on a continual basis because they feel they are already pretty maxed out.

3. When you order a Legacy DAC, you can special order it with any part you want as long as it is technically compatible. This has always been the case with all Lampi DAC's and that will continue to be the case with "Legacy" models. So, it doesn't really matter if for example a new digital engine is released next year. You can order it with that engine. Whatever new parts or designs that exist at the time you order your Legacy DAC you'd just contact Lampi tech department and find out if it will be beneficial or technically possible.

4. If you buy a Legacy model DAC, you can always send it to Lampi at a later date for upgrades, whether it is 1 or 10 years from now. Again, no different than any other DAC.

That comes straight from the man himself.
Thx for sharing

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #850 of 1,054
Good to know, although the meaning is not clear for current owners. If it’s correct that he’s gotten all that can be out of the SET design, as he’s said and is the apparent reason for designating them as legacy models, what significant can be gotten out of new parts and designs is not obvious. tbd. In the meantime, I’m focused on figuring out why my GG 2/3 has an internal hum.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #851 of 1,054
In the meantime, I’m focused on figuring out why my GG 2/3 has an internal hum.

I can't recall what product was giving me issues at the time (this was over 5 years ago and many components have changed in my system since that time), but I had a hum in my speaker room/setup.

I used the Ebtech Hum X and it solved the problem. Not sure if would help you or not but it worked like a charm for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-G...t=&hvlocphy=9029753&hvtargid=pla-571270144718

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #852 of 1,054
This is a hum that seems internal not external. Today test: I pulled the back tubes, left the recti in, killed and unplugged the Regenerator, which turned off everything else, and plugged the dac into the Regenerator's wall outlet. With ear to the dac, then a few feet away, the hum was still there. Lampi wants me to take it where there is for sure no ground loop, such as an A-V shop.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #853 of 1,054
Xulingmrs on eBay has the adapters if you ask. I also ordered EL3N to KT66, EL39 to EL34 and EL38 to EL34. Already have EL12/EL11 to EL34. But so far I’ve only rolled a bunch of different GEC KT66, Mullard EL37 and Mullard EL35.

Update in 2023:
I tried the eBay Xulingmrs adapter and it did not work on the Atlantic 3 TRP. The Chinese-made one (left) does not have the little extra height of the Czech one (right), and so the pins don't actually sit in the socket before the fat white part bottoms out on the top plate. Unfortunately, post-2022 the number of sources of EL51-EL34 adapters have dwindled, and the Czech source mentioned here no longer exists. If anyone can find a good source for these adapters please post here.

IMG_0902.JPG

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #854 of 1,054
Sounds like Lampi may have gone back to the recessed socket design. Mine are higher up.

C524AADD-F4CB-427F-85F8-3920090D4DA6.jpeg

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #855 of 1,054
Update in 2023:
I tried the eBay Xulingmrs adapter and it did not work on the Atlantic 3 TRP. The Chinese-made one (left) does not have the little extra height of the Czech one (right), and so the pins don't actually sit in the socket before the fat white part bottoms out on the top plate. Unfortunately, post-2022 the number of sources of EL51-EL34 adapters have dwindled, and the Czech source mentioned here no longer exists. If anyone can find a good source for these adapters please post here.

IMG_0902.JPG
Have you tried the Seimens F2a yet? My pair aren't fully broken in yet, but I prefer them to the Tesla in my system. MsXu F2a adapters work in my TRP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back