LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Apr 5, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #1,021 of 1,046
I don’t think it’s necessarily defective but rather two devices suffering from interference of coded light. Without knowing what your phone camera is doing it will be a difficult (if not impossible) problem to solve. I wouldn’t expect the folks at Lampizator to know the answer either.
Where I was going with covering the sensor with tape was not to occlude the sensor from receiving but rather to see if the tape would/might cause interference with the cameras pulse via polarization.
While I understand your thoughts on it, their own remote does this with the volume buttons. Sometimes it adjusts volume, other times it puts it into standby. The same button.

Also, for context, the phone is an iPhone 13 Pro. I’d assume many customers would have had this problem by now if it wasn’t defective.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #1,022 of 1,046
While I understand your thoughts on it, their own remote does this with the volume buttons. Sometimes it adjusts volume, other times it puts it into standby. The same button.

Also, for context, the phone is an iPhone 13 Pro. I’d assume many customers would have had this problem by now if it wasn’t defective.
If it were me I would ask Lampizator which brand of remote and receiver they are using (if not shown in documentation) and approach the company that manufactures it for technical help. I doubt that lampizator is doing nothing more than integrating these components into their product so it may be quicker to approach the mfg directly.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #1,023 of 1,046
If it were me I would ask Lampizator which brand of remote and receiver they are using (if not shown in documentation) and approach the company that manufactures it for technical help. I doubt that lampizator is doing nothing more than integrating these components into their product so it may be quicker to approach the mfg directly.
And if I got that help, how would I go about fixing it? It’s inside of the dac that is covered under warranty where removing the cover would void it. How is the customer expected to have to ask the manufacturer for them?

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #1,024 of 1,046
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #1,025 of 1,046
Welp, moving forward with a used purchase of the Pacific, with the Engine 11-P upgrade. :)

Used, directly from Lampizator. As I thought about it more and more, I actually would've preferred single ended due to the costs of matched quads. This unit is balanced and it's all they had Pacific wise, which mirrors how rare they are even on the third party used market. They did also have a GG, and my decision came down to a lot of the feedback in that the GG is a bit more colored/musically inclined (in a good way), and the Pacific being a bit more technically impressive, with really impressive timbre, staging, etc. Coming from the Dave, that's really important to me, and I also figure in comparison (and after talking to a few people), that the Pacific should be more musical/euphoric than the Dave anyway.. which is ultimately what I'm looking for. The technical prowess of the Dave, with better timbre, tone and bass (we'll see on the bass side).

Probably a week or so before I have the unit. Enough to get some tubes situated. Right now, planning on 274b rectifier (probably the Sopia Aqua II) and WE300bs. And then from there I can decide between 101ds/45s and finding a good 5U4G tubes. But honestly, I'm not an extreme tinkerer or tube roller. A couple sets of tubes I've dialed in and that'll be it. Really excited. And thanks for all of the help, and particularly the tip to buy directly from LampizatorPoland. Prices are basically the same as other used markets on apps, and comes with their own inspection, warranty, etc.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #1,026 of 1,046
Welp, moving forward with a used purchase of the Pacific, with the Engine 11-P upgrade. :)
Congrats

I actually would've preferred single ended due to the costs of matched quads.
You can run 2 power tubes in a Balanced Pacific, I am doing that at the moment, even though I have a matched Quad of them.
Seems stupid to wear out a pair of tubes that are not being used since I'm running SE into the Viva.
I was told you do need to populate both pre-tube sockets, I assume because the heater supply isn't regulated.

Coming from the Dave, that's really important to me, and I also figure in comparison (and after talking to a few people), that the Pacific should be more musical/euphoric than the Dave anyway.. which is ultimately what I'm looking for. The technical prowess of the Dave, with better timbre, tone and bass (we'll see on the bass side).
I had a Dave at the time I bough the Pacific, it's a pretty massive step up.
If anything with the right tubes, the Pacific is more refined more musical, more detailed.
Engine 11 is a bit less forwards, but overall a touch more musical and a step up from the OG Pacific.

planning on 274b rectifier (probably the Sopia Aqua II) and WE300bs
I didn't like the Takatsuki 274B in the pacific, and 300B's would not be my first choice, both a skewing heavily towards bigger stage, with additional mid range Warmth.
I thought he 596 was good rectifier, but I run the now unobtainable KR SE 5U4G
I use KR SE 242's in mine, they are a very dynamic tube, but I tend to recommend PX25's to people, because they aren't quite as aggressive and have a slightly larger stage.
A lot of people like PX4's as well, I haven't personally heard them but I did try some NOS PT14's which are supposed to be similar, and found those a bit soft for my tastes.

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #1,027 of 1,046
@number1sixerfan Congrats on the Pac!

Now, for tubes, the tubes you mentioned.... definitely not ones I'd buy.

I've rolled tons of tubes in my GG3 and Pac2.

300b never was a very well liked/preferred output tube in the DHT Lampi models. Yes, some here and there liked it, but I'd look elsewhere. 300b doesn't perform like it does in tube amps. I'd also skip 101d, that one was really poor. Also, Sophia might be okay, it seems to perform well in Atlantic/Baltic from user reports, but tubes that work in those DAC's don't necessarily translate to the DHT models, and vice versa. I'd also look at other options instead of Sophia.

KR5U4G, KR242, KR PX25, KR PX4, Takatsuki 274 are all good modern tube options that I own or owned and enjoyed. I ended up going with vintage tubes for both of my DAC's and options are plenty, but most of the top tubes require adapters, but fortunately, we have TP adapters that perform very well.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #1,028 of 1,046
Congrats

You can run 2 power tubes in a Balanced Pacific, I am doing that at the moment, even though I have a matched Quad of them.
Seems stupid to wear out a pair of tubes that are not being used since I'm running SE into the Viva.
I was told you do need to populate both pre-tube sockets, I assume because the heater supply isn't regulated.

Thank you! And didn't really think about that. May just do that at some point and have that be the plan going forward. Will do some testing.

I had a Dave at the time I bough the Pacific, it's a pretty massive step up.
If anything with the right tubes, the Pacific is more refined more musical, more detailed.
Engine 11 is a bit less forwards, but overall a touch more musical and a step up from the OG Pacific.

That's good to hear, and that's been pretty consistent. Really can't wait to hear it.

I didn't like the Takatsuki 274B in the pacific, and 300B's would not be my first choice, both a skewing heavily towards bigger stage, with additional mid range Warmth.
I thought he 596 was good rectifier, but I run the now unobtainable KR SE 5U4G
I use KR SE 242's in mine, they are a very dynamic tube, but I tend to recommend PX25's to people, because they aren't quite as aggressive and have a slightly larger stage.
A lot of people like PX4's as well, I haven't personally heard them but I did try some NOS PT14's which are supposed to be similar, and found those a bit soft for my tastes.

Yea the tubes I mentioned are only starter tubes based on what I know about tubes that I like. And the description that you're mentioning for both the 274b and 300b are both positives for me. However, the plan is to research far more tubes that I'm less familiar with, which the what's best forum has several helpful threads on. I intend to check out 242s, PX25's etc. etc.

@number1sixerfan Congrats on the Pac!

Now, for tubes, the tubes you mentioned.... definitely not ones I'd buy.

I've rolled tons of tubes in my GG3 and Pac2.

300b never was a very well liked/preferred output tube in the DHT Lampi models. Yes, some here and there liked it, but I'd look elsewhere. 300b doesn't perform like it does in tube amps. I'd also skip 101d, that one was really poor. Also, Sophia might be okay, it seems to perform well in Atlantic/Baltic from user reports, but tubes that work in those DAC's don't necessarily translate to the DHT models, and vice versa. I'd also look at other options instead of Sophia.

KR5U4G, KR242, KR PX25, KR PX4, Takatsuki 274 are all good modern tube options that I own or owned and enjoyed. I ended up going with vintage tubes for both of my DAC's and options are plenty, but most of the top tubes require adapters, but fortunately, we have TP adapters that perform very well.

Thank you! And like I mentioned above, these aren't tubes that I'm dead set on being my long term tubes, just tubes to start with. But I have 300bs I can try in it immediately before even getting the WEs (although I was planning to get them for an amp I have already anyways, so there's use for them in either case). It seems that quite a few ppl enjoy 300bs in it over on the what's best forum, but I am definitely interested in trying the PX25 which seems very consistently enjoyed and more popular, and other power tubes + 5U4Gs, so thanks for all the recommendations.

I want to do a lot more research on some of the tubes I'm less familiar with, as it comes down to personal preference so much when tube rolling. I do also want to avoid buying far too many tubes by rolling too much.

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #1,029 of 1,046
And the description that you're mentioning for both the 274b and 300b are both positives for me.
Then I'd look at T100's,, they're my call for big stage/full bodied mid range without losing too much incisiveness. Plus they are massive and look cool.
I think 300B's can come across a bit lacking but since you have them they are worth giving them a try.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #1,030 of 1,046
Want to get some advice from you guys.
I will most likely buying my friend’s Big7 SE (2015), got a confirmation from Lukasz that it can be upgraded to Engine 11.

And a 2nd hand GG v1 with E53 (BAL) is available at almost same price as the Big7+E11 upgrade.
Which one would you choose?
Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #1,031 of 1,046
Balanced Pacific, with Engine 11 upgrade arrived nearly a week ago. See some early thoughts here.

A few questions:

1. I tried using a matched (new production) pair of Psvane 300bs in the back two slots towards the back of the DAC, with the 6N6P tubes both in + the rectifier.. like I've seen in various pics/posts and I ran into a lot of noise in the left channel. These are brand new tubes, but I have had some noise issues in one channel through my EC Studio B periodically, but to a FAR less degree. I'm assuming it's a tube issue. But am I doing anything wrong in configuration?

2. Right now, the sound is absolutely amazing in terms of detail, resolution, spacing, imaging, etc. An absolute upgrade over mDave. Where it's not an upgrade is in bass response, impact and sub-bass presence. I'm using the tubes it came with, KR PX4 quads and 5u4g rectifier (non-anniversary obviously). I've upgraded the rectifier to the Tak 274b (great price used) and it improves things a bit, but still really only equally to the mDave, absolutely not better than it. I should have some 242s on the way (matched pair hopefully I can run single ended without issues). Are there any other combinations recommended? With even a slight improvement in bass over the mDave, this becomes a massive win overall given what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance! Cheers :)

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #1,032 of 1,046
I'm assuming it's a tube issue. But am I doing anything wrong in configuration?
Most likely a tube issue, especially if you had noise in the EC.
Configuration is correct, I have 2 242’s in the back sockets, a pair of C3G’s in an adapter in the rear pre socket and a 6N6P in the front pre socket.
You can verify by swapping the tubes, and seeing if the noise moves.

Generally the way the new production tubes go is 242 most clean/dynamic, PX25 slightly larger stage, a little midrange warmth, 300B/T100 more open obvious midrange warmth, a bit more bass forwards, but your trading off control for quantity as you move left to right. I also felt that the 300B’s gave up a lot more in dynamics than the T100.
I thought the PT14’s were between the 242’s and PX25’s in warmth, without the aggressiveness of the 242’s, but also felt they tended to smear the stage a bit.
I really thought the C3G’s with adapter were a significant step forwards over the 6N6P, you’ll pretty much have to order them from Europe though, I use TP adapters, they aren’t cheap.

There is also a fair amount of control you have in tonality and speed/incisiveness with the regulator.

There is a massive tube rolling thread over of What’s Best, just always bear in mind reading it there is always a FOTM over there as well, and it’s a bottomless pit. Also be careful who you’re ordering adapters from in there, one supplier killed a friends pacific with a badly wired adapter, and I think he’s still active there.

My personal tastes skew very much towards the dynamics side of the fence, so I’m probably not the best source for more body, better bass suggestions.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #1,033 of 1,046
Most likely a tube issue, especially if you had noise in the EC.
Configuration is correct, I have 2 242’s in the back sockets, a pair of C3G’s in an adapter in the rear pre socket and a 6N6P in the front pre socket.
You can verify by swapping the tubes, and seeing if the noise moves.

As I figured. Planned to swap in again and try to isolate by tube but didn't want to jeopardize the Pacific. Thanks for confirming, and will likely try in opposite position.

Generally the way the new production tubes go is 242 most clean/dynamic, PX25 slightly larger stage, a little midrange warmth, 300B/T100 more open obvious midrange warmth, a bit more bass forwards, but your trading off control for quantity as you move left to right. I also felt that the 300B’s gave up a lot more in dynamics than the T100.
I thought the PT14’s were between the 242’s and PX25’s in warmth, without the aggressiveness of the 242’s, but also felt they tended to smear the stage a bit.
I really thought the C3G’s with adapter were a significant step forwards over the 6N6P, you’ll pretty much have to order them from Europe though, I use TP adapters, they aren’t cheap.

For me, it sounds like the 242s are most likely optimal. The T100s as you mentioned previously are also interesting for sure. There is more mixed and negative feedback around 300bs, which is exactly why I wanted to try my own tubes to better understand. If I can get what I'm getting from the PX4s (absolutely incredible spacing, detail, tone, etc) + better bass response, I can live that solution permanently.

I rather not deal with adapters at all if I can help it. Will treat as a last resort given the risk in sourcing I've seen on the what's best forum. Also, I'm not really a huge fan of incessant tube rolling (see next response).

There is also a fair amount of control you have in tonality and speed/incisiveness with the regulator.

There is a massive tube rolling thread over of What’s Best, just always bear in mind reading it there is always a FOTM over there as well, and it’s a bottomless pit. Also be careful who you’re ordering adapters from in there, one supplier killed a friends pacific with a badly wired adapter, and I think he’s still active there.

My personal tastes skew very much towards the dynamics side of the fence, so I’m probably not the best source for more body, better bass suggestions.

The regulator as in the heater selector back of the DAC?

And on the second point regarding the bottomless pit, I am more than aware. I'm not a serial tube roller at all. I want to find a set or two I enjoy and set and forget it. The PX4's would be perfect if it weren't for the bass. I wouldn't look for another set otherwise. It's honestly annoying as well, as many of these tubes aren't readily available. Hoping the 242s are it and I won't have to look much further.

All of the above said. Just absolutely insanely impressed by the resolution and refinement overall. Very special indeed.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #1,034 of 1,046
The regulator as in the heater selector back of the DAC?
Sorry meant rectifier.
You need to make sure that selector is set correctly for the tube in question.
Depending on the age of the pacific, there are two different sets of labels on that selector (I believe the function is the same), one version just has less tubes marked on it.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #1,035 of 1,046
Sorry meant rectifier.
You need to make sure that selector is set correctly for the tube in question.
Depending on the age of the pacific, there are two different sets of labels on that selector (I believe the function is the same), one version just has less tubes marked on it.

Ahh gotcha, makes sense. Yea, have the selector on the appropriate setting by tube. I also understood the rectifier to make such considerable difference, but the Tak 274b only improves things a bit. Would love to find a 5u4g anniversary tube but really unlikely. Will keep searching though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back