LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Aug 9, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #902 of 1,054
Alright my Pacific 2 upgrade arrived back from Poland last Friday evening.
Some initial impressions based on limited listening, and of course there is no way to directly compare, so it's based on my memory.

Short version it's a significant step up IMO.

It’s overall more ethereal sounding, more resolving, the background is blacker (not that I could hear the noise floor previously), treble comes across a touch less forced (again not that I thought it was forced previously), might be a hair more relaxed.
Staging is wider, and instruments tend to “fill” it better but without smearing, which leads to a overall more natural presentation (again I’d have considered this a strength of the pacific to start with).
The two big standouts when listening were noticing the subtle variation in drum strikes that I previously hadn’t in recordings I was very familiar with, and the way Bass guitars were presented, which felt more natural with the leading edge of the note being textured, but resonances filling the space better.
You can also hear more of the characteristics I associate with DHT’s, I always describe it as a presence, and immediacy of presentation, but it's not a really useful description if your not already familiar with it.

On the classical side (and I haven’t listened extensively yet) strings were a real standout, the improved staging is very apparent, and there just seems to be an overall better presentation of the Bass.

It’ll be interesting to see how break in effects it.

Certainly makes me want to hear a Horizon
What source & connection cable to Pacific are you using?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #904 of 1,054
Nice write-up @Polygonhell. I am finding the same sonic characteristics as compared to my GG2. Not sure I can add anything to what you wrote, so I'll just say "ditto"!

I use spdif input to the Pac.

Pacific-2.jpg

So, now I have two GG2's and a Pac2 sitting here so, one DAC too many. I'll be listing one of the GG2's for sale shortly.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #905 of 1,054
Maybe I'd just add, overall, the illusion of the performers being in your room is further heightened (although this is also a strength of the GG). I love DHT's.

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #906 of 1,054
I have two separate audio systems. I have been using a Golden Gate 2 in each system. I recently purchased a Pacific 2, so now I have two GG2's and a Pac2, so looking to sell one of my GG2's. Info is in the advert I just posted here on headfi.

Directly heated triode Lampi's are amazing (as are all levels of Lampi, but for me personally, once you hear a Lampi with good DHT's.... just something magic about the sound with the big tubes). Previously had a Golden Atlantic, also a great DAC that got me started on the Lampi train, and ditched my solid state DAC's.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/lampizator-golden-gate-2.54458/

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #907 of 1,054
Fellow Lampizator’s-
I’m new to posting here and hope to learn from the experience of members here. I’ve just recently received a new Lampizator and am seeking advice on what tubes others are using, what differences they present and where are you having the best luck in sourcing them from. My dac is the Golden Atlantic 3 TRP Balanced (engine 11) and arrived with a Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and a quad of LinLai KT88’s. Have only had time for about 10 hrs of listening and have been mostly leaving the unit on to settle in.
I’ve noticed a few things about the presentation that are positives over my other “go to“ dac- but also a couple of others that aren’t quite as good as I would have expected. I know there is break in time involved here (both dac and tubes) but I’m wondering if the tube pairing provided is generally the root of the issues I’ve experienced when listening. I’ve digested the TRP tube rolling bible held at WBF and ironically the gener consensus there is to stay away from the KT88 as it doesn’t perform well with the TRP.
As the Aqua 274B is generally considered excellent I’m working to compile a short list of power tubes to try out. If anyone here has a preferred combination or suggestions on excellent power tubes I’d be interested in hearing which tubes you’ve used and how they’ve enhanced your system playback.

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #908 of 1,054
I never did update. I spent time with my friends Atlantic TRP and got some tubes to try. Had to know. Bottom line was my B4 compared to the TRP they were both voiced the same. They sounded the same... But the TRP was definitely "bigger". Stage was bigger, more defined and more real. Things were located more precisely in the stage. We both had Sophia 274b mesh, I had Mullard ECC32, and he has Mullard EL34. Well I had to know if the new Sophia 274b Aqua 2 was better... It is. It has all the stage and resolution of the mesh, but with better bass. Quantity and quality. It's not really fair to say it's warmer... It is, but certainly not slow muddled syrup sweet often associated with that. I like warmth, I just don't ever want to sacrifice top end for it. The Aqua 2 is great top to bottom.

Then, with all the praise... I had to know... Sophia EL34-ST. In the TRP, they are a clear improvement over the Mullards. Are the Mullards wore out, don't know. The top end especially... More space, decay, stage while still sounding as good as the Mullards with mids and bass.

That led me to needing to know... So I ordered a quad of EL34s to replace my quad of Mullard xf2s in my LTA Z40+... It's been 4 days of continuous run time... But yes, clear improvement. Are my Mullards wore out? Can't say. LTA runs them easy and they should last a very long time... Probably 6-7 years old... But yes, the Sophia's are better. I fact, there is so much echo and decay it almost sounds artificial. But it also brought my system... With the Aqua 2 in my B4 much closer to the Atlantic TRP. The stage is bigger, and everything is more defined and precise in space. Honestly, I was bit of a NOS snob... But the Sophia's are staying. Nice to find new production for reasonable prices that beat NOS standards.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #910 of 1,054
@Powermankw-
The timing of your response was perfect as I was just discussing tubes with Scott at Verdant Audio earlier this am. NOS Mullard’s came up in the discussion but I ended up ordering a quad of the Sophia EL34-ST’s. I’ve read from members at the “tube rolling thread” that these are excellent tubes and a perfect match for the Aqua 274B. I’ll have to update with a comparison to the KT88’s after arrival and a little settling in.
I do agree with you that the TRP has a big sound- and there are definitely traits that are noticeable when compared to my Aqua La Scala Optologic MKI. But at this point in time the Aqua proves to excel in fine details and timbre. Not that the Lampizator doesn’t- but there are noticeable differences in rendering of detail in quite passage. As the Lampizator has revealed other details that I’ve not noticed when using the Aqua I’m inclined to believe this falls back on the tubes. I’m looking forward to hearing the new Sophia’s! If these pull this dac into a new direction it will help me further my quest in finding the ultimate tubes for this Dac.

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #911 of 1,054
@BunnyNamedCraig-
I don’t have any direct experience with that tube family but noticed a note on this one as being tried in an Audio Note dac.
https://store.tubedepot.com/products/5852-6x5gt
I’m not sure what price limits you’re working to as this one isn’t exactly “inexpensive“ but what is anymore!

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #912 of 1,054
@Powermankw-
The timing of your response was perfect as I was just discussing tubes with Scott at Verdant Audio earlier this am. NOS Mullard’s came up in the discussion but I ended up ordering a quad of the Sophia EL34-ST’s. I’ve read from members at the “tube rolling thread” that these are excellent tubes and a perfect match for the Aqua 274B. I’ll have to update with a comparison to the KT88’s after arrival and a little settling in.
I do agree with you that the TRP has a big sound- and there are definitely traits that are noticeable when compared to my Aqua La Scala Optologic MKI. But at this point in time the Aqua proves to excel in fine details and timbre. Not that the Lampizator doesn’t- but there are noticeable differences in rendering of detail in quite passage. As the Lampizator has revealed other details that I’ve not noticed when using the Aqua I’m inclined to believe this falls back on the tubes. I’m looking forward to hearing the new Sophia’s! If these pull this dac into a new direction it will help me further my quest in finding the ultimate tubes for this Dac.
Ya, I read your post. Ya... Tubes are "different". That I get... But when stage, image, decay, tibre, transperancy, dynamics improve... Nope... That's better. The SE 34s are better, clearly. That's not dramatic night and day, but that's also not hair splitting minute difference. I'm almost certain my friends TRP came with Gold Lion KT88s, and he thought the Mullard EL34s were better. So that's all I have for reference.

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #913 of 1,054
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #915 of 1,054
@Designsfx oh hey... How much space between sockets do you have... Between balanced sides... Because SE 34 bottles are kinda big. I have like a mm or 2 between mine. I knew my cover would not fit, but ya, side to side is a squeeze.
@Powermankw-
Honestly, I hadn’t given that any though. I know of at least 5 members at WBF that have run the Sophia setup and no one has reported a fitment issue. Actually the only sizing issues I’ve heard of are when pin adapters come into play and then it’s usually an issue with the connector reaching the anode (either top or top/side).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back