LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Jun 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #31 of 1,046
Wow the new equipment march keeps on.  Got new Eddie Current 2A3 Mk IV in earlier today and set it up with four NOS RCA dual black plates and using the stock NOS Raytheon 5842.  Used the Lampizator with new amp and LCD-X.  The combo has taken the LCD-X's to new level.  Warm and richness of sound with dynamics still in place and bigger sound stage.  The combo has pushed the LCD-X much closer to my Stax Rig.

Have you had anyone use the Bendix rectifiers as well?  I'm really curious if people are seeing the same effect I was seeing as the in line resistor on mine was removed by Lukasz and I am curious if that made any difference.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #32 of 1,046

Wow the new equipment march keeps on.  Got new Eddie Current 2A3 Mk IV in earlier today and set it up with four NOS RCA dual black plates and using the stock NOS Raytheon 5842.  Used the Lampizator with new amp and LCD-X.  The combo has taken the LCD-X's to new level.  Warm and richness of sound with dynamics still in place and bigger sound stage.  The combo has pushed the LCD-X much closer to my Stax Rig.

Have you had anyone use the Bendix rectifiers as well?  I'm really curious if people are seeing the same effect I was seeing as the in line resistor on mine was removed by Lukasz and I am curious if that made any difference.

I am happy for you that you like your new combo.

Can you post pictures of your set-up including the EC2A3 ?

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #33 of 1,046

Sure I'll do it later, but probably need a couple of shots to get it.  It's not pretty at the moment as I am switching stuff etc.  Also still waiting on some equipment that will hopefully make an appearance soon.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #34 of 1,046

Hi Crashem 

Yes , of course I did and these are the best diodes you can get to replace 6x5. Electrically they are not direct replacement ,
but in this circuit it doesn't matter - they sound awesome!

If you want to make some final tweaks for your machine ,then use tube dampers on all quad , they are responding very good to white Teflon rings . On the output tubes Herbie's dampers with a metal spine and with Teflon rings are in my opinion the best. And finally change your fuse with the Furutech one. Then listen again , get back to me and tell me what do you think :wink: ?  

Ah ,  Eddie Current 2A3 Mk IV -lovely amplifier - I envy you. Just imagine yourself how it would sound with L7 DHT DAC- full quad of 2A3 in a real DHT.

looking forward to hear from you soon :wink:

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #35 of 1,046
My L5 came with NOS Raytheon 6sn7gt from 1955. I also have tung sol round plates, early hytron, and rca 5692 red base. Any thoughts on how each of these might pair with L5. Also any other 6sn7 you would recommend I try and what character do they have in l5

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #36 of 1,046

Not the best pictures and obviously not setup permanently this way but here is new equipment.  At some point, it will go into the shelving if I can find an acceptable switching solution.  Getting crowded in my office (*cough* man cave)

Can you stop the super glued cracked plastic (damn you UPS)?

NEW EQUIPMENT LEFT TO RIGHT:
Mini CAPS ZUMA server - LAMPIZATOR L5 - LCD-X - EDDIE CURRENT 2A3 MK IV - STAX SR-009 - KGSSHV Spritzer Built

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #38 of 1,046
  Do you use the volume control on the Lampi?

I do as it has a remote which is nice.  However if you are on PCM or DSD for a while or initially, it might mute the volume on unused one.  It was recommended I keep volume at least 80% if going to use something else for volume.  Any thoughts on that anyone?

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #39 of 1,046
    It was recommended I keep volume at least 80% if going to use something else for volume.  Any thoughts on that anyone?

Hi again 

If you use something else then leave VC on full. This way it bypasses itself from the circuit 
via ground loop and it is  exactly as it wasn't there at all. That's the beauty of that :) 

I found Lampi VC to be basically better than any standalone pre up to 3k , so it is worth having
as it saves you quite a chunk of money. One must be aware that it is not just VC unit what makes
it happened , but a collective achievement coming from the support of excellent PS and of course
valve output stage, which on other occasion would be used for the DACs alone benefit only.

Hope that this explanation makes sense to all ? :wink:

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #40 of 1,046

Hi again 

If you use something else then leave VC on full. This way it bypasses itself from the circuit 
via ground loop and it is  exactly as it wasn't there at all. That's the beauty of that :) 

I found Lampi VC to be basically better than any standalone pre up to 3k , so it is worth having
as it saves you quite a chunk of money. One must be aware that it is not just VC unit what makes
it happened , but a collective achievement coming from the support of excellent PS and of course
valve output stage, which on other occasion would be used for the DACs alone benefit only.

Hope that this explanation makes sense to all ? :wink:

Any standalone pre up to 3K???  And it operates in the digital domain?   Or is it a full analog VC?

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #41 of 1,046

Mini CAPS ZUMA server - LAMPIZATOR L5 - LCD-X - EDDIE CURRENT 2A3 MK IV - STAX SR-009 - KGSSHV Spritzer Built

wonderful.  Thanks for the pics...

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #42 of 1,046

Wonderful ! thanks for the pics

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #43 of 1,046
Jun 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #44 of 1,046
AS FYI, Switched in Tung Sol 6sn7 Round plates for the Raytheon 6sn7.

Everything got tighter from bass to treble. With the bass, it was more detailed but cause an effect of it seemingly a tad lighter. Can't find any complaint with midrange or treble as compared to Raytheon. With SR009 was getting a bit of the SSS you can get, but the Tung Sol cleared that right up. Also, cymbals and tamborines sound much more true to life. Midrange with Tung Sol are just magical.

Next up will be the RCA Red Base...

BTW, got a set of the Herbie's Tube Dampeners...Going to have to AB test but kind of lazy to do so for tube dampeners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back