LAME v3...i am so confused
Nov 29, 2007 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

stevenjchang

500+ Head-Fier
i've spent about 2 hours between last night and today googling

i dont understand, how do you use LAME, i guess u can't just download "it" but you need some kind of third party software (which one do u suggest...and how do you use it) i tried dppoweramp but i think it's asking me to pay in order to do LAME MP3

i am trying to go from FLAC to either 320 MP3 or variable ACC in one step. I tried using Nero with dppoweramp but i think my ipod can't read it.

can someone explain it to be simply.
if not, i'll have to convert everything to apple lossless then onto ACC using itunes.

ps~~~~~~~~~~
LAME MP3 at 320 vs ITUNES ACC at 224.
is there a difference in SQ?
i also searched long for this, but couldnt find a definative answer, most of this topic was discussed in threads 3-5 years old (well, using google anyways)

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 18
You can do a google search for Lame Encoder

This page lists some encoders you can use

LAME MP3 Encoder :: Related Links

If you're simply converting a file, I prefer RazorLame, though I haven't used it in years (I have the commercial DBPowerAmp)

RazorLame | A LAME Front-end - open source encoding MP3 files

If you also want to be able to quickly rip a CD and convert to LAME MP3, check out Exact Audio Copy

Introduction » Exact Audio Copy

BTW: Only the newer versions of DBPowerAmp require you to pay for LAME encoding. They still have the older version on their site, which does this for free

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/bin/dMC-r10.exe

You can get the codecs for it here

dBpoweramp

Is that enough links for ya?
tongue.gif

Oh yea, don't forget to use the "--preset standard" tag, which has been widely viewed to be = in quality to the source (google it for more info)

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 18
thanks buddy

and um, welcome to headfi, i cant believe this is your first post, and such an informative one.

i think i'll try to order version of dbpowers, what tricky bastards, no wonder everywhere i read, db was said to be free yet when i tried to use it the functions were locked up....ahhh, thanks for the insite man

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 18
If you download the free version of dbpoweramp, the license for the mp3 encoder bundled with it will expire (in 30 days I think). Lame 3.97 can be had all over the internet, and EAC can just be configured to point to the executable.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you download the free version of dbpoweramp, the license for the mp3 encoder bundled with it will expire (in 30 days I think). Lame 3.97 can be had all over the internet, and EAC can just be configured to point to the executable.

Not the version I linked to. Dbpoweramp version 10 is completely free and does not expire.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you found a working solution stevenjchang
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 18
Nov 30, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgeV83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not the version I linked to. Dbpoweramp version 10 is completely free and does not expire.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you found a working solution stevenjchang
biggrin.gif

The program itself doesn't expire, just the license to encode using mp3. Other codecs such as FLAC, OGG, or ALAC all continue to work fine.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 18
BTW, I like DBPoweramp because its the easiest I've seen and its enables some very nice pop-ups when browsing your collection

227049003-L.jpg

When you want to convert a file, it takes literally a few seconds. Right click -> Convert To -> Convert

227049016-L.jpg

227049028-L.jpg

It saves your previous settings, which makes things really easy. You can even highlight multiple files, Right click -> Convert To

227050477-L.jpg

And it'll convert all the selected files for you. What could be easier?

Regarding your encoding question, V0 should be fine. Check Wikipedia for more info

LAME - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

Quote:

High quality: HiFi, home or quiet listening

-V3 --vbr-new (~175 kbps), -V2 --vbr-new (~190 kbps), -V1 --vbr-new (~210 kbps) or -V0 --vbr-new (~230 kbps) are recommended. These settings will produce transparent encoding (transparent = most people cannot distinguish the MP3 from the original in an ABX blind test). Audible differences between these presets exist, but are extremely rare.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

The program itself doesn't expire, just the license to encode using mp3. Other codecs such as FLAC, OGG, or ALAC all continue to work fine.

If you download and install the version I linked to (version 10), you will see that the mp3 encoder infact does not expire.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 18
I agree with DodgeV83 about the advantages of dbpoweramp pro. It was well worth the $28 for me as a ripping and transcoding solution. Try it for 30 days for free and see if it fits your music encoding workflow. Compared to what I spend on music (let alone what I spend on photography and image-management software), it's quite cheap. (And no -- they don't pay me anything!)

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgeV83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you download and install the version I linked to (version 10), you will see that the mp3 encoder infact does not expire.

Oh. Older version. Cool. Sorry. What's missing in version 10, anything good?

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Oh. Older version. Cool. Sorry. What's missing in version 10, anything good?

As far as I can remember, the only negative is that you'd be using an older version of LAME, possibly meaning a larger filesize for the same encode. The way I see it, "Transparent" = "Transparent" no matter what year the program was written in
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back