lame question
Mar 4, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm not sure of the algorithm changes, but it makes the encoding process speed way up. I did some ABX tests awhile back, and found there was a slight difference in sound quality, with -fast removing a bit of sustain on cymbals and other high frequency noises. It's nothing you're going to notice if you're not really trying, though. blessingx is Head-Fi's --apfs proponent, I'm sure he'll be in here at some point...

Try it out yourself. I've always thought that's the best way, as everyone has different opinions. If you can't stand it, turn it off. No problem.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Yo yo yo, blessingx in the house.

I should do some new ABX testing. Very old tests weren't very extensive, but at the time I couldn't tell the difference. I think the speed difference (about 2X) of using the 'fast' tag justifies what is usually termed 'potential slight quality loss'. Then again I'm now using AAC as much for encoding time savings as file size savings. FLAC is the primary encoder. Like Stephonovich says, test the two and see what you think.

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Nice title (this was a lame answer)
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm curious to find out what exactly adding -fast does, or does not do to the files. My [albeit rather uneducated] guess is it doesn't do as complex searches in the source file for VBR decisions, so the file might not sound as good as it could.

Oh yeah, blessingx, I notice in your sig you have a setup for swimming. May I say, WTH? Or is this a speaker setup?

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Ah... *lightbulb dawns*.

Confusing, though. Now that'd be interesting; a completely waterproofed PDCP/amp setup, and headphones. Or more likely, canal phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back