LAME/Foobar to convert iTunes mp3.
Apr 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ethics

New Head-Fier
I purchase a lot of music from iTunes to use on my mp3 player. I convert it through LAME/Foobar as an mp3 but I problem I always have is the track numbering. After I convert the files, when you try to lets say drag all the files to play in foobar they never play in the same order they were supposed to be from first track to last track of the album. The actualy track numbers did not change during conversion, but during playback if I do not manually arrange the tracks cued in the playlist they do not play in order. Help? Does this have to do with those funky fields within foobar like "%tracknumber%"?

Here's a SS, when I drag the original files from iTunes into Foobar they are ordered fine, but when I drag the converted files they are scarmabled up like this:

foobar.jpg

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 11
Have you checked out the menu?
Edit -> Sort -> Sort by ...

And a side note: Converting from one lossy codec to another (aac -> mp3) will degrade sound quality even further. (This is known as transcoding.)

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Yep, take a look at the "Title" column; it's in alphabetical order. You just need a different sorting order.

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah it wouldn't be a problem if I am palying through my PC, but when i transfer my files to my mp3 player, it plays it in that same alpha order instead of track number order.
confused_face.gif
My other music not converted via this method play in th correct track order.
confused_face.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 11
When you convert your music to MP3, make sure the name format in the convert dialog is set to something like this: "%track% %title%"

This will make the file names begin with the track number, thus ensuring they are ordered properly.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 11
Nah, that x.y just means discnumber.tracknumber
Maybe your mp3 player doesn't understand the discnumber/totaldiscs tags?

I've also seen players that got confused by different tag versions (id3 v1, v2) probably because id3v1 doesn't support these tags, but I don't know for sure.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 11
I use both the Archos 404 and the iRiver T10. Once again, I only get these problems when converting the iTunes m4a files into mp3 via Foobar. Haven't tried another converter, liked to use Foobar because of LAME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back