LAME Encoding Q...
Jun 15, 2003 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TCC-2k7

New Head-Fier
Okay, can somebody explain to me without complex formulas and load of BS what the difference between Joint Stereo and regular Stereo is, and which I should use when encoding 224kbps MP3s in LAME?
Thanks...

Jun 15, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 5
It compares the two channels and uses a single referenced data source if the same and doesn't if it's different. The former allowing the additional space to be used elsewhere. Hope that's not an oversimplification. Curious why you're using 224 CBR though. Why not use alt preset extreme (or alt preset fast extreme) and get about the same file size, but take advantage of VBR going up to 320?

As always, browse around the mp3 forums at Hydrogen Audio for more detailed info.

Use Joint (which is part of --ape & --apfe).

Jun 15, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 5
i dont know much about the technicalities of it. but joint stereo encoded mp3s ALWAYS sound better than just stereo.

type in ----- *--alt-preset 192* (change the number it needed, without the asteriks.) for the vbr in compression options --> additional command lines.

Jun 15, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by TCC-2k7
"which is part of --ape & --apfe"

Um... sorry to be so ignorant, but what's that mean??

I meant joint stereo encoding was part of the presets. For example --alt-preset standard, --alt-preset extreme, and --alt-preset insane are all joint stereo.

Personally I use --alt-preset fast extreme for nearly all my recording and it gives the approximate size you are looking for. Go to the Hydrogen Audio MP3 forum for recommended settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back