LAME DLL tag in EAC
Dec 14, 2005 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AutumnDemon

New Head-Fier
Just set up EAC and LAME using a guide. This guide, however, said nothing about the LAME DLL tag in the Compression Options. The LAME DLL tag has options such as Outpute mode (Stereo, Joint Stereo...) , Quality (Normal, Low, High, Voice), Maximum VBR bitrate (320 or 256), and a selection of 0-9 for VBR quality. Under External Compression i have -V 2 --vbr-new in the command line, so will any of the settings i chose in the LAME DLL tag effect the mp3's I rip?

Also, are portable hard drive players able to play lame encoded VBR mp3's?

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by AutumnDemon
are portable hard drive players able to play lame encoded VBR mp3's?

Depends on your hard drive player. Most of the new models handle the VBR files fine, but some older ones (typically 2+ years old) will stutter on VBRs.

Another factor to watch out for is that some of the older players do not properly handle v2 tags in MP3 files (regardless of whether the encoding is VBR or CBR). In that case, you need to use only v1 tags. LAME doesn't create tags, but software that calls it to encode might.

FWIW, I have a couple thousand LAME encoded VBRs (--alt-preset standard), and they all play fine on my Rio Carbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back