Lakers vs. Kings - Best playoff ever??
May 30, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #16 of 50
I saw most of the Bulls six Championship runs up close and in person.Nothing else can compare.I saw MJ accept his last MVP trophy and on the same night saw Scottie Pippen put on what has been argured as the greatest defensive performance ever while spanking Indiana in the Eastern Conference Finals.I love basketball.I have not been to or watched a Bulls game since Micheal and Scottie left.I do think the Kings/lakers series is fantastic however and I would love to see the Kings win it all.They are so much better with Mike Bibby than they were with Jason Williams.I think Phil Jackson is a great coach but i would love to see what he could do with a bad team,Memphis Grizzlies maybe?

May 30, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #17 of 50
i think that the kings are great for basketball. You are seeing one of the most amazing playoff debuts in NBA history in Mike Bibby. At this rate if the kings advance he could be the finals MVP without even being an all star in the same year.

You are also seeing one of the best TEAMS in awhile. When you have playoff games where you have six guys in double figures it really says something about the team. Who do you double-team?

The kings have had so many chances to doubt themselves and fold in this series, but everytime have stepped up and answered. If you watch carefully, the facade of unity on the LA team starts to wear thin when they start losing. I have no doubt that LA is going to be fired up to answer of friday, but I think that the kings will surprise everyone again with their tenacity.

So in regards to the thread question, I think it is a little pre-mature. If the kings win friday I would say no, it was not a great series. It was just the better team finding a way to win. If the series goes seven either way, I think we will have a contender, and it was also solidify kings v. lakers as one of the best rivalies in the league.

May 30, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

MusicJunkie said...

My vote for the best series would be any series that featured the Lakers and Celtics of the Magic/Bird era.

Absolutely. That was the premiere rivalry in the NBA. A few of the games in the last Michael Jordan era were incredible, but they didn't have the spark over the entire series.

May 30, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #21 of 50
Kings have a good team, but lets face it Shaq was screwed by the officals in game 5 when he fouled out and sat half the game on the bench. Two tripping calls...........please give me a break. Plus Vlade Divac should get an Oscar for his acting ability, he is master of the "flop" for a foul call.

Plus 5th foul on Shaq when he stuffed Vlade and he did his flop was a jump ball if any call, really a clean block. If Shaq did not foul out Lakers would have won game 5 no question.

May 30, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 50
Officiating is part of the game, just gotta deal with it =\. Admit it, Kobe gets calls all the time, I mean seriously how did Christie foul Kobe with his head? NOT POSSIBLE! Besides, I could blame the officiating for my Warriors only winning 21 games too. Had the refs gave the time of day to the warriors they easily could have won an extra 5 games. And we got screwed in the lottery! NO YAO MING! AHHHHHHHH! Ok im done bitching now.

May 30, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #23 of 50
blueocp, you redeemed yourself in my eyes with the objective take on the refs. Heads fouling elbows is a rather odd occurance. The fact of the matter is that shaq is just very difficult to officiate. In the last game I think that most of them were legitimate fouls, but they have not all been. i think the difference is who the agressor is in game one it was the lakers in game five it was the kings. The kings at shaq a lot, knowing that it would not always go well, and it paid off.

i think that the idea that over a seven game series, the officiating evens out is a valid one. Adelman got a T from about 60 feet away from the ref for standing up apparently. in a one point game, things like that could be big too. Take that away, and the lakers need to go for a three on the last play (though this may have had a different result
frown.gif
).

The series is far from over, and whoever can ignore a bad call here and there and execute down the stretch will be able to advance.

May 30, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #24 of 50
I think you need to go back a little in history to a time when it was really basketball. When they passed and dribbled and a big man just didnt plow his way to the hoop. I really dislike what basketball in the Shaq era has become. Well to avoid a rant on BB here is my pick.

The 1976 Celtic-Phoenix Championship series. I was lucky enough to attend every game both in Boston and Phoenix and to witness perhaps what was the best game of all time. The 3OT Celtic win over Phoenix. Jo Jo White, John Havlichek, Paul Silas now that was a team.

I saw series before and after this including the Bulls and they still do not match the level of play of these 2 teams.

May 30, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I think you need to go back a little in history to a time when it was really basketball. When they passed and dribbled and a big man just didnt plow his way to the hoop. I really dislike what basketball in the Shaq era has become. Well to avoid a rant on BB here is my pick.

The 1976 Celtic-Phoenix Championship series. I was lucky enough to attend every game both in Boston and Phoenix and to witness perhaps what was the best game of all time. The 3OT Celtic win over Phoenix. Jo Jo White, John Havlichek, Paul Silas now that was a team.

I saw series before and after this including the Bulls and they still do not match the level of play of these 2 teams.

I agree with every thing you said. The shaq era is not a great era if you ax me
biggrin.gif
To me the greatest dinasty will allways be the old Celtics team with Bill Russel and Heinson and Bob Cousy. 8 chapionships in a row. 11 out of 13 years. No team will ever do that again.

May 31, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 50
Ya gotta love hoops!

I don't think there any really *great* teams around anymore.......I mean, when Bill Walton drools over the Lakers SOOOO much every game, vomit comes out of my mouth and onto the TV. quite messy.

rolleyes.gif

Honestly................if I were 7'2'', 350 lbs, YEA I'D BE DOMINANT!

Go kings! Go eastern conference
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Kings have a good team, but lets face it Shaq was screwed by the officals in game 5 when he fouled out and sat half the game on the bench. Two tripping calls...........please give me a break. Plus Vlade Divac should get an Oscar for his acting ability, he is master of the "flop" for a foul call.

Plus 5th foul on Shaq when he stuffed Vlade and he did his flop was a jump ball if any call, really a clean block. If Shaq did not foul out Lakers would have won game 5 no question.

...I'm sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you over the clattering of my industrial sewing machine. I'm sewing a crying towel big enough for Shaq and Kobe's egos...

May 31, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #28 of 50
I dunno, Webber's ego is up there along with Kobe and Shaq, yet he doesnt have the star power to compare to either. He is a stat machine, not much more. Again, I really don't like either teams but I just hate the Kings more
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2002 at 12:44 PM Post #30 of 50
Another observation that really goes to all sports is that it is harder to really become passionate about a team when the players move through as if in a revolving door. The Bulls made an attempt to keep the players but even there the cast supporting Micheal and Scottie changed. I have no problem with them going for the money but it does diminish my interest in a team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back