LAiV Harmony R2R DAC Impression and Reviews
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #62 of 171
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #63 of 171
looking forward to reviews from users here.
I don't trust these Youtube reviews TBH
That's silly. I rather look somebody in the face and listen to their voice to know if he's honest. If you don't know how to discern what's true or not you better not turn to fora where every troll can do his no2. I'm not saying this forum, but written fora in general.

Here's another one of whom I trust his opinion. You can also talk to him on his website. I also really like his easy going style and high production value. I can tell he is a photographer (like me, tbh better than me). And he likes cats, like John deVore (and me). That means he likes independent thinking (otherwise you'll stick to commanding dogs).

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #64 of 171
That's silly. I rather look somebody in the face and listen to their voice to know if he's honest. If you don't know how to discern what's true or not you better not turn to fora where every troll can do his no2. I'm not saying this forum, but written fora in general.

Here's another one of whom I trust his opinion. You can also talk to him on his website.

Have been in this game for too long to know who to listen to and who to shut off. YouTube is definitely not the place I go for reviews. Have been part of various audio groups and I know how these reviews and reviewer work. Over a period of time some experienced users and novice users across forums get their ear on DAC and that I trust more. Anyways each has their own way.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #65 of 171
as with anything audio, subjectivity is very high. And unless it’s a really first impression, everything else in a review is a thought out process which will usually take in account all the factors beyond sound.

That said, it was fun using the LAiV Harmony, plugged it into my Warwick bravura and it was giving me a very wide and energetic signature which was great to listen too. Also put it through my Broadway and using the atrium open, gives an open sound experience with depth, with a signature that’s more laid back compared to my TT. I’ll probably try with my speakers when I have time too.

All my other R2R stuff are kinda portable equipment but maybe I should try and hear what’s the diff between them just for fun.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #66 of 171
Have been in this game for too long to know who to listen to and who to shut off. YouTube is definitely not the place I go for reviews. Have been part of various audio groups and I know how these reviews and reviewer work. Over a period of time some experienced users and novice users across forums get their ear on DAC and that I trust more. Anyways each has their own way.

Ok, that's a better explanation. I also have a few decades of experience and I disagree. But I didn't say I only go to YouTube. No, the more sources the higher your resolution of information. Always read between the lines. But if there is one place I really am weary of it's an open forum. There are just to many opinionated loudmouthed nitwits around that are barely out of school. There's no way of telling that just by reading (other than myriads of grammar and spelling errors).
As the wisest man ever said: there is wisdom in the multitude of counselors.

You obviously did not see this clip, where Steve emphatically states he doesn't want to call this reviews, just experiences. And as you can see he's no spring chicken. I heard he was in school with Santa back in the day 😁

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #68 of 171
Ok, that's a better explanation. I also have a few decades of experience and I disagree. But I didn't say I only go to YouTube. No, the more sources the higher your resolution of information. Always read between the lines. But if there is one place I really am weary of it's an open forum. There are just to many opinionated loudmouthed nitwits around that are barely out of school. There's no way of telling that just by reading (other than myriads of grammar and spelling errors).
As the wisest man ever said: there is wisdom in the multitude of counselors.

You obviously did not see this clip, where Steve emphatically states he doesn't want to call this reviews, just experiences. And as you can see he's no spring chicken. I heard he was in school with Santa back in the day 😁
Agree read between the lines and triangulate from various impressions.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #69 of 171
Next year there will be a new best DAC beating everything below 10k... So do you buy this one or the next (and next and next and next) The YouTubers gotta make a living that's for sure.
If you have your system dialed in then don’t upgrade or change anything. Unless you are really looking to take things to a different level. Moving from one 2.5K DAC to another won’t take you a level above unless your previous DAC was seriously bad. You may get a different flavour. Do remember DAC is one part of whole chain. A good DAC in market won’t make existing DAC bad.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #70 of 171
Next year there will be a new best DAC beating everything below 10k... So do you buy this one or the next (and next and next and next) The YouTubers gotta make a living that's for sure.
YouTubers aren't the ones releasing new hardware on a predictable schedule. Manufacturers are. Vote with your dollar.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #71 of 171
Unfortunately just a bit of an effect of the YouTube game.
There's a lot of stuff like those types of thumbnails, leading titles etc that no one really likes, including the creators, but really do work :/
As a creator you don't enjoy doing that stuff but you sort of have to else your video just gets absolutely buried due to having a lower click-through rate than others
I even saw someone comparing DACs wearing an actual blindfold on the thumbnail... That looked really dodgy. 😁

May 1, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #72 of 171
One reviewer says detailed and exciting, another says warm and laid-back...

May 1, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #73 of 171
I think it depends on reference point. I feel is laid back compared to say a hugoTT. But if their reference is some other dacs it maybe different

May 1, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #74 of 171
This definitely has buzz.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #75 of 171
One does not exclude the other. As tassardar says: it depends on what you compare it with. An R2R sounds more natural than most sigma deltas artificial detail. Compared to Denafrips it's more lively and detailed because the Denafrips are more rounded and warm (I disagree with slow). Compared to Chord is laid back. You need to consider the frame of reference the reviewers are using.

I found r2r to sound more like how I hear acoustic live music while my SD DACs sound overly detailed and fast. I like to compare it with photoshop 'unsharp mask' filter. Overshoot of edges like from dark color to black to white to light color. That is why pinstripe shirts on video can flicker on a screen when there is movement. The way to remedy this is to put the 'sharpen' on zero. Way more natural and no flickering. That's not lack of detail because the amount of real information is the same for both. You can't invent information that was not recorded with an algorithm. You might say 'what about enhance with AI'. Yes, but you need lots more computing power for that plus the results are not real. Just like deepfake videos. If you want to fool yourself into thinking it's real thats your choice for the blue pill. Enjoy your juicy steak.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back