Laid-back closed headphones (similar to HD650 sound sig) - do they exist?
Jul 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ac500

1000+ Head-Fier
Over time I've gone through what I consider to be fairly many headphones, and in the end to my preference I keep coming back to HD650s. Partly because the sound signature makes almost anything sound good, and partly because the slightly laid back treble makes them extremely gentle on my ears (no fatigue, which I do get from most other headphones).

Unfortunately I can't effectively use HD650s at work since closed-back headphones are a necessity to block out sound from both directions. I've been looking around for good "work headphones" for a while, and I'm wondering if anything exists that would have a similar sound signature to the HD650. I don't care too much if the sound quality is below the HD650 because I assume that's to be expected from a closed headphone.

Right now I use the Audio Technica A900X for my closed/work headphones, and I'm pretty satisfied with them all-around. "Unfortunately" the treble is not at all laid-back like the HD650, which means they generate some ear fatigue if I listen to them too long.

Any ideas on options to look into? Thanks.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Over time I've gone through what I consider to be fairly many headphones, and in the end to my preference I keep coming back to HD650s. Partly because the sound signature makes almost anything sound good, and partly because the slightly laid back treble makes them extremely gentle on my ears (no fatigue, which I do get from most other headphones).

Unfortunately I can't effectively use HD650s at work since closed-back headphones are a necessity to block out sound from both directions. I've been looking around for good "work headphones" for a while, and I'm wondering if anything exists that would have a similar sound signature to the HD650. I don't care too much if the sound quality is below the HD650 because I assume that's to be expected from a closed headphone.

Right now I use the Audio Technica A900X for my closed/work headphones, and I'm pretty satisfied with them all-around. "Unfortunately" the treble is not at all laid-back like the HD650, which means they generate some ear fatigue if I listen to them too long.

Any ideas on options to look into? Thanks.

Mad Dogs.

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 5
+1 for mad dogs

I own hd 650 and used to have ATH A900 and IMO mad dogs Mr speakers is exactly what you are asking for :wink:

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 5
consider some of the audio technica range as they mainly do those liquid lush mids. My ESW9 has close enough same sound minus some of the mid bass hump on the HD650. It does mean it sounds a little leaner but for about half the price of the HD650 I wouldn't not argue. Also it's on ears so scratch that if that's an issue for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back