Lady GaGa - "Born This Way" quick impressions/comments!
May 23, 2011 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fluffygdog95

500+ Head-Fier
Track one - "Marry the Night" This track is pretty straightforward. A little bit "older style" vocals it seems. Probably going to be a popular song in dance clubs.

Track two - "Born This Way" The title track almost everyone has heard. Sounds much better on the CD than on the radio. Not the most exciting song on the album. I don't know why this is the title track, others are much better.

Track three - "Government Hooker" These names, wow. Interesting intro with this one. Amateur opera fading into chopped vocals which fades into a dance beat layered with layered vocals. This song is a sandwich.

Track four - "Judas" Second most popular song in the public. This song doesn't feature a completely linear beat, at least. Rather bland vocal work, here.

Track five - "Americano" Spanish influenced song again. Reminds me of "Alejandro." Spanish words are present. Imagine this, link below, with Lady GaGa fronting it. Oh and add some electronica elements. http://www.virginia.org/uploadedImages/virginiaorg/Images/OrgImages/O/OfficeofTourismMHCEDC/mariachi-band-r.jpg

Track six - "Hair" I thought this was going to break into a Kenny G song for a second at the beginning. A song about rebellion from parental oppression using hair as a metaphor for freedom? That works. The vocals being chopped and autotuned in this song seem a bit messy. :/ Overall probably my favourite on the album so far.

Track seven - "Scheiße" "I can't speak German, but I'm going to do a song half in German anyway." I don't even know if this is German. Some words are German, some are not? So confused. Danceable and pretty nice in its electronic sounds thrown in.

Track eight - "Bloody Mary" Very vintage at the start. THEN THE BEAT! That was VERY satisfying. This song has gritty elements that one just needs to love along with a smooth and wonderful chorus. The bassline in this song happily bounces. Plucked violins add an element of class. This is the best song so far. This is wonderfully mastered and just a great song. I'm going to have that bassline stuck in my head for a while (not that I mind :D). 

A few surprises await in this song, too. :)

Track nine - "Bad Kids" Nice choice of placement. Aggressive and upbeat, perfect to follow a smooth and relaxing song. Kinda boring, though. Nothing sticks out to me as wonderful in this one. Some nice soundstaging elements.

Track ten - "Highway Unicorn (Road to Love)" Ok, what kind of title is this? HAHA. This song is just plain odd. Interesting panning choices in this track. Nothing too special here, either. Electric organ makes it a bit more spicy, though.

Track eleven - "Heavy Metal Lover" I don't think I've heard this one before.."Dirty pony, I want to hose you down." This song has some interesting lyrics. Not a typical "GaGa" style song. Much trancier in nature.

Track twelve - "Electric Chapel" Electric guitar into a thumping 80s style rhythm. This one is laid-back kinda like "Bloody Mary" is, but being infused with more rock/classic rock elements. They actually had a guitar solo. Go GaGa. Annoying high synth sound after the guitar solo. Probably an angry rhythm guitarist messing with the recording because he/she didn't get a solo.

Track thirteen - "Yoü and I" Slower song. Vocally concentrated. Reminds me very much of country music around the late 90s and early 00s. Random ü? Cute ending.

Track fourteen - "The Edge of Glory" Very trancey. Poppy chorus. A nice balance of upbeatness and energy being present. The separate takes for vocals are really apparent on this track and I'm not sure why. This isn't a bad album closing track.

The album as a whole - "Born This Way" This album wasn't blow my mind awesome, but it was a good listen. Some of these tracks were a pretty large change from typical GaGa. I don't need to say much here because you can probably piece together my opinions from the individual track comments. I'm going to go listen to "Bloody Mary" a few hundred more times now. :D

May 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 13
I agree with most of your impressions. I liked the album a lot, it's one of my favorite so far this year. Tracks I've been coming back to include Electric Chapel, Edge of Glory, and Government Hooker.

May 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 13

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! How do your SR225is resolve the multi-layered sounds on "Government Hooker?"
Quote:
I agree with most of your impressions. I liked the album a lot, it's one of my favorite so far this year. Tracks I've been coming back to include Electric Chapel, Edge of Glory, and Government Hooker.

May 23, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 13
I am impressed. the whole album is pretty awesome. I got the two disc pack, and the remixes are rather neat. I feel like I will have a tough time picking a pair of headphones to suit it. I want he oodles of bass from my DT770, but my Grados are begging me for the vocals.

May 24, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 13
This album has many different styles present, so a headphone choice would be difficult. I'd say change depending on your mood. Feeling bassy? Grab the DT770. Feeling a bit more vocal craving and energetic? Go for the Grados. That is one of the nice aspects of this album, many different styles. I keep noticing new things each time I hear it.

Quote:
I am impressed. the whole album is pretty awesome. I got the two disc pack, and the remixes are rather neat. I feel like I will have a tough time picking a pair of headphones to suit it. I want he oodles of bass from my DT770, but my Grados are begging me for the vocals.

May 25, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 13
im still not sure i like it as much as The Fame(Monster), but i do really like it. Im noticing i like more individual songs with this one, whereas with The Fame(Monster) i just freaking love them all.

but i do like it more and more each listen

and i think it sounds better than the Fame Monster cd does, not as over blown on the vocals

May 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 13
My Grados seem to do a great job resolving the layer-heavy production on most of these tracks (especially the top half of the spectrum). Of course the bass could use more depth and prominence, one of the reasons I'm dying to pull the trigger on the D2000.

I think this album has much more of a "club" feel than I expected, almost all of the tracks sure to be a huge dance hit. (I think something like 9 singles were promised)

May 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
My Grados seem to do a great job resolving the layer-heavy production on most of these tracks (especially the top half of the spectrum). Of course the bass could use more depth and prominence, one of the reasons I'm dying to pull the trigger on the D2000.

I think this album has much more of a "club" feel than I expected, almost all of the tracks sure to be a huge dance hit. (I think something like 9 singles were promised)

I think you would like the D2000 with this sort of music. I have owned the D2000 and I have heard the D7000 quite a lot and they are very good. :) 

May 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 13
I think the previous albums were better, The Fame Monster were all good tracks except for the last one and the first one had Poker Face and Paparazzi (might be my favorite or Dance in the Dark). On this album I don't quite like any song, Judas is somewhat decent at best, the rest is quite "meh".

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 13
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/465054/lady-gaga/180

Well what will happen is two fold. When they made Born This Way, it had to sound like Fame Monster but had to expand in order to sound new. There will be no more Fame Monsters. That album almost started a sound. Some say it started a sound. It would be really hard to make something like Fame Monster again. It would have to be newer than Lady Ga Ga, if you get my drift.

The first thing is some people will not like the country elements which are in there in two songs. The same folks will not be too let down as the rest of the CDs sounds like Lady Ga Ga.

The first thing I did notice is the sound was great. Her last album Fame Monster also had a great sound. There was a deep fear that she would pull a lot of main stream elements into this current record. She really stayed close to her roots and it would have to be looked at as a classic dance record with many elements only from the dance world. She just goes into many deeper classic areas of dance music for her inspiration as well as some cutting edge IDM cut-ups.

My only goal for her record was to be able to play it and not have it bug me. She did that.

So she is out doing Madonna but staying close to home with her sound except for those country songs. I look at the country songs as an attempt to cross over. So I do love that the whole album does not cross over. We really do not have a ballad or R&B number either. So for me what the album does not have makes it great. She stuck with what she could do which made her something in the first place. She tossed in two songs which can be removed from a play list easy. Her voice is still great and the production and writing was fantastic. There will never be a new Fame Monster world for folks to get into ever again. The understanding of that is the first step to getting into this new set of songs.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 13
enjoying it.  Haven' t had time to start up the mixes yet.  "Scheiße" reminds me of hardcore pron!!

LOL. Speaking of pron, Heavy Metal Lover" gives me that hardcore pron feel, with the lyrics and all.

This album is the most diverse she's ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back