Ladies and Gentlemen: The Latest Custom Grado Pad
May 9, 2006 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ilovesocks

1000+ Head-Fier
I give you the latest development in custom Grado pads!
biggrin.gif

The side that touches your head:
in.jpg

The driver side:
out.jpg

Next to a bowl:
compareout.jpg

How they're worn:
full.jpg

Both sides (note that the left one is a bit brown because I tried to melt the hole into it rather than cut and it didn't work out):
halfnhalf.jpg

Yeah yeah, I cut them out with scissors in 10 minutes from some foam that I bought for the purpose of shipping electronics, but these are rough drafts and they're pretty comfy! They're not immediately irksome like the bowls, which cause the driver to touch my ear. I've been wearing them for about a half hour and I'm feeling a little itchy, so I'll have to make a circumaural version when I have more time (I'm supposed to be studying for the Government AP test tomorrow
plainface.gif
). But unlike the bowls, there's no soreness. Just a lil' itch; the drivers don't touch my ears with these.

As far as I can tell, they sound the same as the bowls. Maybe there's a little less bass, since they're ~1 or 2 eighths of an inch thicker, making the driver that much farther from the ear.

More shall come! Anyone ever tried this before and have tips?

May 9, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 21
but...why do that when you can do the sock mod? after all, you love socks! did you see the National Meet preview vid? someone right at the beginning shows off their grado sock mod!

May 9, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 21
Ok, wow. No offense, but those are absolutely hideous. I'm pretty sure you just made all the employees of Grado Labs cry.

May 9, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Ok, wow. No offense, but those are absolutely hideous. I'm pretty sure you just made all the employees of Grado Labs cry.

biggrin.gif
That's because they're rough drafts. I'm going to make perfectly (more or less) oval (circumaural) ones later. And there'll be no Sharpie on them. Or is it the pink that you don't like?

May 9, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Completely sick. The "Pink grapefruit" mod. Think of the health benefits.

Rofl.. "look at what he did to our special edition headphones!!"

May 9, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 21
YEAH FOR AP TESTS!!!! WOOOOOO!!!! SET EM UP AND KNOCK EM DOWN!!!!

Sorry, but with three of those things (one left, Chemistry, on Wednesday) I had to vent.
tongue.gif

The pads are sweetness! You might try some other kinds of foam. That foam is probably itchy no matter what you do with it.

Not trying to hijack, but...

Has anybody ever tried making pads out of high-density closed-cell foam? I know for one thing it's used in outfitting kayaks to offer good body-support. Anybody even know what I'm talking about? It comes in big blocks of various sizes, and it's heavy and dark gray. Not cheap either. I'll take a pic when I get a chance (maybe tomorrow). I wonder what pads made of this stuff would be like. I'll try it at some point, but my MS-1s aren't even burned in yet, so it may not be anytime soon. Just a thought to throw out there.

May 9, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by InertKinesis
YEAH FOR AP TESTS!!!! WOOOOOO!!!! SET EM UP AND KNOCK EM DOWN!!!!

Sorry, but with three of those things (one left, Chemistry, on Wednesday) I had to vent.
tongue.gif

Yeah, they're crazy. I'm pretty sure I gave the Bio test a good spanking today, though.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 21
"I dig your style too man. Got the whole cowboy thing going."

May 9, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 21
wrap them with grill cloth, then they will be comfy.

May 9, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 21
..... i certainly hope you don't use them on the portable rig (it's just inviting comments).
on another note: good luck on the test....but it's a rather easy test so don't stress too much. Have fun!
580smile.gif

May 9, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 21
god those things are ugly.
Where can I get this foam?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
but...why do that when you can do the sock mod? after all, you love socks! did you see the National Meet preview vid? someone right at the beginning shows off their grado sock mod!

that's me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back