Lackluster sound with HD650 + LittleDot Mk3
Dec 24, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 26
I've been poking around looking around for a suitable solution; perhaps if I were to get a CIAudio VHP2, it would suit my tastes better than the Mk3.

I'm still a little confused as to what DAC I should purchase.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by j4k345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been poking around looking around for a suitable solution; perhaps if I were to get a CIAudio VHP2, it would suit my tastes better than the Mk3.

I'm still a little confused as to what DAC I should purchase.

I have a similar set up -- Little Dot MK III and HD-650s, and a similar opinion. I've used a PS Audio Digital Link III with a Wadia 170 dock since the beginning of owning the phones, and I suspect that a source upgrade won't really get you what you're looking for. The problem, as far as I'm concerned, is with the headphone/amp match. My Little Dot MK III sounds positively fantastic with my Grado RS-1s, so I'm not quick to condemn the amp. I love it more every day with the Grados.

When I got the HD650s and was dissapointed the first thing I did was upgrade to 8100 Mullards. Not much difference with the HD650s, big improvement with the Grados. Then I upgraded to the Russian output tubes-- major improvement with the Sennheisers, not much change with the Grados. That's sort of where it sits right now-- I too am looking at moving up to the Channel Islands VHP-2 for the Sennheisers; I think they just don't do well with the Little Dot MK III, though many people have argued otherwise. I do think that this amp mates beautifully with the Grados, though.

It also might be that I just don't care for the Sennheiser "sound"-- so your experience is really interesting to me-- you actually liked them with other gear? This gives me hope that it's just a peculiarity of the way these components fit together.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 26
hypoicon, when I coupled the Senn's with my McIntosh two-channel (although it isn't a dedicated headphone amp), I was completely blown away by the sound. Thank goodness I had been listening to the 650's on the McIntosh before I got the Mk3, otherwise Senn's reputation would have been tarnished in my eyes.

I'm actually very glad you posted, because I was beginning to wonder if my ears were going bad!
regular_smile .gif

But I guess I shouldn't be so rough on the Mk3, because as youve said, they really shine with Grados. I think the case is similar with the 650's, that shine when really driven, and used with a high-quality SS amp. I say this because I think Senn's are naturally warm, and using them with a tube amp is just too much.

But then again, I've never listened to a pair of Grado's...

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #19 of 26
If you'd like to tip your toes in the waters of Grado, I can easily recommend the SR-80s-- they are quite cheap and worth trying if you'd like to continue using the Little Dot. That's where I started this trip, and I still think it's a great "bang for the buck" combo. This would be 1/4 the price of the new CIaudio amp.

I am really looking forward to having both a Senneheiser/solid state combo and the Grado/tube set up. I think the Sennheisers are a lot kinder for older more flawed or shrill recordings. Hopefully, a new amp will open them up. The Grados on the other hand are just more fun, though unforgiving of crappy digital masters with high frequency artifacts. They also don't do well if you insist on blasting them up at maximum volume-- they are best for low to mid level listening.

I tend to think of it sort of like a vanilla/chocolate argument. I like each for different reasons at different times.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #20 of 26
I bought a used Lavry DA10 over a year ago and I still get blown away at how good it sounds with my Sennheiser HD600.

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by j4k345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vintinfinity, I have the gain settings maxed out. I'm sure some of the problem lies with the source (my PC), as I'm just using line out.

Ew, straight out of the computer is noisy and you *must* get an external DAC to alleviate that. You can't evaluate the amp properly until you do that, or hook up a cd player to it as suggested above.

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #22 of 26
Your setup is in desperate need of upgrades.

I have a solid state amp, HeadAmp GS-1, and a tube amp, WooAudio WA6. With my HD650, I always prefer the GS-1. It's not that the WA6 sounds bad, it's just that the GS-1 has a better soundstage presentation and seems to preserve the high frequencies better. Plus, as others have said, the last thing the HD650 need is a more laid back sound.

I would recommend you both switch over to a good solid state amp and upgrade your source to something considerably better than a sound card. That's the best way to make the HD650 sing.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 26
I use mine with the GS Solo, and even then I find it a little veiled. But I do love the sound signature.

I think your amp is both to blame, and not to blame - the 650s are a laid back headphones to begin with, tubes will only amplify that lush quality the 650s have - too much of a good thing can be bad.

Try an SS amp - the GS Solo certainly pairs well. I'm thinking of upgrading my source to the Cambridge Dacmagic sometime - hopefully it helps along with some silver ICs

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #24 of 26
edited

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #26 of 26
Line out from the motherboard...?! Source upgrade, then amp upgrade if you feel the need to.

I didn't think much of the HD650/MKIII (Mullard M8161) either, and I have a decent DAC (Stello DA100). I prefer the HD580/600 over the HD650 in that setup. The HD650 won't sound good underpowered, especially if you've been exposed to higher end sound. They went into beast mode once I got them balanced. I can't comment on the Tube vs SS. Every thing I've used so far has been all tubed or hybrid. Generally, it seems that SS is better for low impedance while tubes are good for high impedance. Something to do with low impedance phones needing more current while high impedance phones need more wattage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure sound quality depends on the design.

HD650 not for you? +1 to the Grado recommendation. Maybe the Senns aren't your flavor.

I haven't tried the RS-1 on the MK III and have only spent about a week with the RS1. I feel that on a lower end setup (my only experience so far), the RS1 dominates the HD650. It has the speed and detail that are missing from the HD650. I'll have the RS-1 balanced, but it will still be tough to evaluate the headphones. My amp might be better suited for high impedance headphones.

Oh yeah, don't forget to clean your tubes. I remember thinking there was something strange with my EF-1 until I deoxidized the tube. The sound was very bloated and the detail was lacking. Everything opened up afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back