Labkable Pro Series - Review & Thread
Jul 14, 2016 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zelda

Headphoneus Supremus
REVIEW: Labkable Pro Series - Super Nova MKIII & Silver Galaxy MKII. True Game Changers

11.jpg

Labkable, a Hong Kong based audio cable company. While they seem to be known in the Far Eastern part of the world, with some distributors in China, Honk Kong, Japan, Korea, in the other side of the globe its name is not the first to come up to mind when referring to cable stuff. The main reason is pretty obvious, lack of availability and info about their products. Surpassingly, Labkable has quite a large variety for IEM upgrade cables, starting from the Pro series, next to the Master and lastly the Ultimate series. This time I got the chance to try two of the Pro models, the Super Nova MKIII and Silver Galaxy MKII, which not only are well made and nice looking, but also turned up being a true upgrade in pure sound quality.

12.jpg

labkable.com
labkable-headfi.com

Price (MSRP):

Silver Galaxy II - U$D 290
Supernova MKIII - U$D 290

Warranty: 1 year

For availability, check the international distributors on the above links.

13.jpg

Design & Build Quality:

The Pro series arrive in a nice tin case. Inside we'll find the 'product details' card and a well suited carrying pouch. The cable plug is very well covered.

The Super Nova MKIII and Silver Galaxy MKII are identical in terms of design. The obvious difference is the color, due the material, the Super Nova utilizing a 'Pure Copper wire', while the Silver Galaxy a 'Silver plated Copper' one. Like most of the Pro series, they're both available in 8 and 4 wire options; I got the 8 wire. The build quality is excellent in almost every part. For the straight plug we have a very strong Oyaide 3.5mm TRS one. While the cable is an 8-wire one, it's braided in pairs of 2 strands in a 4-wire way, from the plug to the Y-split, and then continues in the normal 4-wire braid. The 2-pin connectors are well covered in a very sturdy metal outer piece, and fit well the standard recessed sockets. The plastic earguides are fixed, a bit stiff, and a memory wire would be helpful. The only part that doesn't look so 'Pro' should be the Y-split and slider, as they're simply made of shrink plastic tube.
Aesthetically, both are simply gorgeous, if just a tad flashy. There's no doubt that this is a nice part of aftermarket cables.

Note: For other customization options, plugs, connectors and else, you'll need to contact Labkable or their distributors.

16.jpg

114.jpg

Fit & Comfort:

With the fixed plastic earguides it's a bit tricky to fit the cables correctly at first. I'm not a fan of memory-wire, but sometimes I do find it helpful, and this is one of those times. The good thing is that the fixed shape helps a lot to keep the earphones from falling and achieve an even tighter fit. Despite being 8-wire braided cables they're light in weight and very comfortable to wear, even though they're not the softest cables and may take some time to adopt a right shape. They also very easy to wrap and don't tangle, and microphonics is not an issue either.

17.jpg

115.jpg

Sound:

Super Nova MKIII - Ultra Micro Detail

The Pure Copper Super Nova offers a more flat balanced overall signature, with a slight highlight in the treble region, with impressive improvements in terms of clarity and micro-detail.

The bass is rather linear, much tighter and controlled, and yet has an impressive sub-bass depth. It is presented in a more refined way, with a correct punch if needed, but overall can be softer in impact and smaller in quantity.

Similarly, the midrange is also flat and brings a higher level of clarity and detail. It is very clean, no bass bleed whatsoever, and just a tad more forward, or less recessed, depending on the IEM in use. Even though, the mids can be sound a bit thinner or with less body, mainly due the softer low-end impact and a slight more emphasis towards the upper mids region. Resolution and definition are definitely much greater.

Treble shows some highlights at the upper regions, giving a brighter and cooler tone. It is more refined and forgiving without expressing extra sibilance. Treble extension is noticeably better, and helps to add a good sense of air. Soundstage is not much wider or spacious but the depth is quite impressive. Yet, the most amazing part of the Super Nova is the much higher micro-detail level it gives to already detailed IEMs. The background detail is simply outstanding and so effortless that doesn't stop to amaze on every track.

Silver Galaxy MKII - Fullness & Musicality

The Silver Galaxy is not less impressive than the Super Nova in any way but it takes a rather different route when presenting the sound. It surely has its own strengths that make it a well worth product. This cable seems to be meant to improve the balance between all the three frequencies and works fantastically well with multi-BA IEM making them sound in a greater unison harmony and coherence.

The bass is quite fast. Maybe not as quick as the Super Nova but more natural weighted and extended, with a slight boost and better punch when necessary. It's fuller and just a tad warmer but still close to neutral.

The mids are in better balance with the bass and treble and show a higher clarity, greater definition and unbelievable resolution. The sound is much fuller, more natural and very effortless without leaving aside any little detail. The Null Audio 'stock' cable that is included on the AAW CIEMs line can sound more muffled and V-shaped in comparison. Same goes for the Lear C2 (which is already a very nice cable for the sub $100 group), while less V-shaped than the AAW's, it simply sounds smaller and artificial next to the Silver Galaxy MKII.

The treble sounds more refined and nicely forwarded, but again, in a very natural way. The energy amount seems better balanced with the bass impact. The major improvements are in the greater dynamics and transparency, offering a bigger sound with a more natural tone. It may sound a little darker than Super Nova but it has a much wider presentation and much improved extension on both ends, and has the best stage dimensions among all the IEM cables I got to try. Sound is more open and airy with superb instrument separation and coherent imaging. If the Super Nova wins in depth department, then the Silver Galaxy has a better rounded and convincing 3D effect. In addition, the height is surprisingly improved, something usually rather hard to achieve with IEMs.

112.jpg

Conclusion and Value:

As usual, before getting an upgrade cable at this price range, having a good audio setup worth of it is essential, otherwise the improvements in sound may not be well appreciated. In the case of both Super Nova MKIII and Silver Galaxy MKII the surprise was huge in terms of sound quality in almost every single aspect. Both cables are very capable of unleashing the power of an already good sounding IEM, taking it to an even higher level. Build quality, design and finish are all excellent. Ergonomics could be better with the fixed shape earguides, but the whole cable behaves very well. Choosing between these two Pro models is not easy, and apart from their looks, they show different results depending on the setup in use. Price is not low, but considering other companies prices for 8-wire cables, these Labkable models seem well priced.

Rating: 9/10

Pros:
Build quality; nice design; Sound quality improvements.
Micro detail (Super Nova); fuller sound (Silver Galaxy)

Cons:
Earguides are a bit annoying; Y-split and slider could be of better quality

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Thanks Zelda. I asked someone who takes part in constructing the iem cables. He replied that the Y-split in plastic is better than metal one cause it won't hurt the surface of the cable itself in therms of flexibility and softness. Btw,I've just bought a Takumi iem cable for my T8ie.It sounds great! Also the Pandora could provide me with a deeper bass but I enjoy Takumi better.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 7
That Takumi looks really nice!
it that a 2.5mm balanced plug for AK and similar DAPs?

Yeah! It's for my AK240, as well as AK3xx series.I suppose it can also implement all kinds of connectors for any earphones or daps .You may even add a bass adjustment component for JH Audio earphones.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 7
so i've tried the takumi, samurai, pandora, and titan at canjam sg last week. the founder and marketing manager were there. they're very kind, kind enough to offer me review units with free shipping. the takumi and samurai i think are one of the best value cables out there. the improvements are so apparent. but the titan is the best of them all.

anyone got their promo/deal at canjam sg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back