LA Head-Fiers: MAY 31-June 2 Headphonium Event @ THE Show Newport - ALO, AUDEZE, CENTRANCE, HiFiMAN, HRT, SCHIIT
May 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #91 of 225
Looks like I can make it on Friday also. I should have the new MS-AK100 (Mezzo-mod) with me. Reports from other H.F.iers who have tried it are very positive.
This post has comparisons to other DAPS including other versions of the AK100. There are other posts on Head-Fi (and other blogs) about it as well.

My bud received his two days ago and after 10 hours of listening has said he intends to replace his triple stack with it. Knowing him as I do and the top gears he is replacing with just this DAP, this is a significant thumbs up!  Now I have to hear it for myself. If anyone is interested in trying it please it PM me.

Aforementioned bud has started a thread > here is the link.

May 28, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #92 of 225
Quote:
Looks like I can make it on Friday also. I should have the new MS-AK100 (Mezzo-mod) with me. Reports from other H.F.iers who have tried it are very positive.
This post has comparisons to other DAPS including other versions of the AK100. There are other posts on Head-Fi (and other blogs) about it as well.

My bud received his two days ago and after 10 hours of listening has said he intends to replace his triple stack with it. Knowing him as I do and the top gears he is replacing with just this DAP, this is a significant thumbs up!  Now I have to hear it for myself. If anyone is interested in trying it please it PM me.

I'm PSYCHED to hear it!

May 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #93 of 225
I am only able to make it on Saturday... work Friday and since we are coming down to the OC taking the kids to Disneyland on Sunday. Going to cram as much as I can in on Saturday while the GF is shopping at that mall a few minutes away... this event might just leave me broke even if I don't spend a dime 
atsmile.gif

May 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #94 of 225
Quote:
I am only able to make it on Saturday... work Friday and since we are coming down to the OC taking the kids to Disneyland on Sunday. Going to cram as much as I can in on Saturday while the GF is shopping at that mall a few minutes away... this event might just leave me broke even if I don't spend a dime 
atsmile.gif

So:

SHOULD WE ALL PLAN THE HEAD-FIERS LUNCH FOR SAT????

thoughts????

May 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #95 of 225
Three more days to Friday and THE SHOW at Newport. The anticipation is killing me. A 3-day audio fest to get over a 3-day Memorial Day weekend. Short work week for me. 
biggrin.gif
 Looking forward to The Headphonium & thumbsup to mike.

May 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #96 of 225
Quote:

So:

thoughts????

If it is on Saturday I will do my best to attend. You guys decide what is best for the most people.

May 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #97 of 225
Quote:
Three more days to Friday and THE SHOW at Newport. The anticipation is killing me. A 3-day audio fest to get over a 3-day Memorial Day weekend. Short work week for me. 
biggrin.gif
 Looking forward to The Headphonium & thumbsup to mike.

You guys are the reason I got into this.
This community has been so gracious to me, especially given my background has been in high end audio!  But I'm LOVING personal audio more than I ever did the high end, to be brutally honest.  It's new ground!

But I gotta admit, as I told Jude, when I was approached to do this for T.H.E Show I didn't think I could pull it off without him (Jude)!
But he's been SLAMMED as always, so I knew I had to go it alone...  I was intimidated!  There are, IMO, too many high end audio
shows in the US, and I know most small companies can't afford to do all these shows!  I went to the companies I know first, and then
got some others involved for different reasons (we got a DIY kit company there - to bring the DIY aspect back to this hobby at a show)
and it all fell together.

I could not have done any of this without the support of Jude and Marjorie at RMAF (my one boss for a week every year).  He expressed his belief in my abilities to put together a cool event at T.H.E Show, given my passion for personal audio, and I'm grateful to him for that, amongst other things of course!

and I'm especially grateful to the Head-Fi community!

I should take a Head-Fi headcount - like Third Eye does for his regional event!

Thanks guys - from the bottom of my heart.  Let's have some FUN!!!!

May 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #98 of 225
Quote:
Are you guys all planning for Saturday? I was thinking about Friday myself. There are a few seminars ("Garbage in, Garbage Out" by JA and the "Speaker Case Design") that I really don't want to miss. And it looks like Tyll will be there for the headphone one on Friday too.

Anyway, I'd be down to get lunch on Friday.

LUNCHTIME

I'm trying to be down there for all three days... but at the very least on both Friday and Saturday.  I'm actually fine with doing lunch on both days! 
smile.gif
  Gotta eat right?

Quote:
Quote:
Are you guys all planning for Saturday? I was thinking about Friday myself. There are a few seminars ("Garbage in, Garbage Out" by JA and the "Speaker Case Design") that I really don't want to miss. And it looks like Tyll will be there for the headphone one on Friday too.

Anyway, I'd be down to get lunch on Friday.

LUNCHTIME

I don't wanna miss the Head-fiers lunch!!!!

So we should probably all agree on a time.
and yes we have Tyll for both headphone panels - Fri. and Sat.!!

I've got an interview at 12:00 on Friday (maybe half hour) and then I'm GOOD

1:00 LUNCH SOUND GOOD?  Where to meet??

Anywhere is fine.  Actually Mike, since you know more than anyone here (it'll be my first time at T.H.E. Show), maybe you should pick a place and coordinate? 
smile.gif
  Just one quick request, nothing too big or heavy or else we'll have food coma all afternoon. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
atsmile.gif

So:

thoughts????

Let's do lunch both days if we can!  In addition to just meeting up and getting to know each other, we can use it to recap and share stuff that we might have missed!

May 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #99 of 225
I'm trying to be down there for all three days... but at the very least on both Friday and Saturday.  I'm actually fine with doing lunch on both days!  :smile:   Gotta eat right?

Let's do lunch both days if we can!  In addition to just meeting up and getting to know each other, we can use it to recap and share stuff that we might have missed!

That sounds like a plan.

May 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #100 of 225
  1. Kamakahah - 
  2. warrenpchi
  3. morserotonin
  4. Funkmonkey
  1. ecod123
  2. Saraguie
  3. and me
  4. mikemercer

Who did I forget??

I know I've missed a few people.  I'll go back and look in a bit..  

I think Third Eye won't be able to make it.

I saw a message from him and I gotta read it ASAP.

So Head-Fiers lunch at T.H.E Show (nice, I'll be kickin it w/ peeps that

aren't all my parents age - though I love my friends in high end audio):

on Friday and Saturday - 12:00??   - Meet outside The Headphonium Ballroom?? 

I have an interview at 12 on Fri but I'll jet over there afterwards.  

The headphone panel is at 2PM on Fri, 1PM Sat.

May 29, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #101 of 225
Count me in for Friday lunch. I want to listen to JA's seminar from 12-1, personally. I'll try to meet up with you guys to get some food in me, and then we can all head over to the Headphones seminar. Sound good hopefully?

Oh and Mike, I'm glad you posted a picture of yourself. This is my first high-end show and I'm afraid of feeling like a toddler around all these older audiophiles. I don't look too much younger than you though!
biggrin.gif
And if I ever get lost, I'll just look for the younger guys and assume those are the Head-Fiers.

May 29, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #102 of 225
Quote:
Count me in for Friday lunch. I want to listen to JA's seminar from 12-1, personally. I'll try to meet up with you guys to get some food in me, and then we can all head over to the Headphones seminar. Sound good hopefully?

Oh and Mike, I'm glad you posted a picture of yourself. This is my first high-end show and I'm afraid of feeling like a toddler around all these older audiophiles. I don't look too much younger than you though!
biggrin.gif
And if I ever get lost, I'll just look for the younger guys and assume those are the Head-Fiers.

"I'm afraid of feeling like a toddler around all these older audiophiles."

Imagine feeling like that for 18 years!  When I started working for The Absolute Sound I was a teenager in the 90's!
Then, I went onto to work for Atlantic Records for 10 years, writing about music and Hifi the whole time on the side...

I've felt like the perpetual kid, even thought I'm 38!  LOL

I would LOVE to have a bunch of Head-Fiers there.  I honestly believe some of the old guard would learn alot about the culture
of headphone devotees/hobbyists/members of the tribe...

May 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #103 of 225
Being 29 and showing up myself, I'm going to feel out of place at first, but I'm sure it will all melt after I dive into everything. I'll just have to put a huge Head-fi sign on my back in hopes that someone from the forums finds me. 

May 29, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #104 of 225
12 on Saturday ok... Count me in... I am 38... are you telling me I am going to feel young!??? 
atsmile.gif
  That is awesome! lol.

May 29, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #105 of 225
Wish I could be there this weekend, too bad I had to miss it. Looking forward to the impressions/reports.

Btw mikemercer, you're slightly on the older side for a Head-Fier. In my experience at all of the meets I've attended, the most prolific age group usually tends to be 18-35 (give or take a few years). So you might feel a little bit old at a regular Head-Fi meet. 
wink.gif

Maybe I'll try to make it to either the upcoming LA meet or next year's Newport show, been too long since I last had an In-N-Out fix.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back