LA Head-Fiers: MAY 31-June 2 Headphonium Event @ THE Show Newport - ALO, AUDEZE, CENTRANCE, HiFiMAN, HRT, SCHIIT
Jun 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #211 of 225
 Nice write ups, found myself in the background during your interview video Mike 
smile.gif

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #212 of 225
Quote:
I wanna try that bad boy too!  I also had the thought that the Cardas Ear Speakers and the Astrell and Kern AK100 if they match properly would be a kicking little system.  Thanks for the kind words in your Enjoy the Music article. I just know I had a blast meeting you all!!

GREAT idea bro!!
I'm gonna try them w/ my AK100 tonight!!

I've been using the Cardas Ear Speakers w/ my Sony PHA-1 & iPod Touch!

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #214 of 225
Jun 7, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #216 of 225
Quote:

What is your opinion of this combo?

I absolute love the combination of my Sony PHA-1 and Cardas EM 5813 Ear Speaker IEMs!!
The Cardas have more air than I've ever heard in am IEM.  I mentioned this in the POST-Newport Impression thread somebody
started - Thank You BTW ) and the incredibly low noisefloor of the PHA-1 allows for an insanely present sound.  

Harry Pearson used to call this exceptional presence TAS TDF (twinkle dust factor).  Because the sound seems to sparkle in AND
around your ears!  I definitely find some of that magic in this combo.

and thanks for the plug for the video!!

HERE'S A LINK TO THE VIDEO
I was interviewed by my friends at Audio Head about The Headphonium

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #218 of 225
Yes like did they mention anything about the Model 2, what's the status on it?

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #219 of 225
Quote:
Yes like did they mention anything about the Model 2, what's the status on it?

I'm sorry I'm honestly in the dark on a model 2, so I didn't even know to ask George!
But I'll look into it for you no problem.

The Cardas Ear Speakers don't sound like IEMs at all to me.
There's so much air, such dimensionality (the spacial elements between the instruments/sounds)
that I don't hear on my JH Audio JH-13 Freqphase!  Don't get me wrong: I LOVE my JH-13 Freqphase
IEMs, (especially for experimental music) but the Cardas is presenting something new to the ears of this
reviewer with regard to IEMS.

They don't sound restricted by the very thing that restricts them: Your ear hole!
There's an astounding feeling of space and openness to the Cardas that's wholly new to me.
Not to mention their harmonics are as natural as any of the best IEMs I've heard.
Did you know George Cardas recorded Ben Harper's first album??  It sounds amazing.  His love and 
knowledge for recorded sound has always resulted in musical and engaging cable products, so this
makes sense that he'd tackle this with such dedication.

I liked the OG version I heard four years ago in a hotel room in Vegas!  George hated them.
I reminded him of that when we hammed it up on the headphone panel.  He cracked up.

These are something very special.  I've played everything from Miles Davis Kind of Blue (Classic Records
re-master) to The Gaslamp Killer's excellent Breakthrough through these and they lend themselves to just
about everything I listen to.

I've never been a fan of sticking headphones in my ears, until the JH Audio's!
I can fall asleep on a plane with the JH-13 Freqphase in my ears in five minutes.
That's comfort.

One of the ways I complimented George throughout THE Show (I was totally stoked to get a pair from him
early on Fri. - the first day, so I listened to em that afternoon and evening):

"I woke up with you headphones in my ears".  "That never happens"

I explained that I listen to Indian music to fall asleep to.  Some classical indian, but mostly modern sitar stuff
like Ravi Shankar (check out his classic The Sounds of India for a little insight into Indian music).  That sounds
like a funny way to compliment the Cardas Ear Speakers - but doesn't that mean they truly live up to their name?

I also said to Warrenchi that they actually just sounded like an amplifier for my ear - connecting me to the music!

I think I'm gonna start a thread on these - probably is one already...
will check.

Hope this all-nighter cyber-babble speaks to the magic I mentioned before about these little golden gems.
moreserotonin seems really impressed too.  

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #220 of 225
Quote:
I think they were 3.1s based on the date he told me. I'm with you. Mad Dogs beat out everything for me except I did like the HE-500.

Yeah, I gotta concur.  I've been incredibly impressed with what Dan has been able to do with those ever since I first heard it last year.  And with each revision, they have been getting better and better for me.

Quote:

RE-600 - I came to the event thinking these would be my next IEMs as I absolutely love my RE-400s. While they do sound good, the extra thickness in the mid range and only slight improvement of the bass left me with the distinct feeling that they just are not worth the extra money over the RE-400s. Of couse everyones tastes are different and they are a very good IEM just not worth it for me.

I completely agree.  Different strokes for different folks of course, but I don't think I'll be picking these up anytime soon. 
frown.gif

Quote:

On the Schiit audio table was an amazing inexpensive set up worth mentioning... the magni/modi stack with the Mr Speaker's Mad Dogs whose source was a laptop running Ubuntu 12.10. I was impressed by the sound period not just for the price. I heard that these where older Mad Dogs too... thinking I should pick up a pair of those but plan on waiting till the LA Meet for a listen to the newer model.

Yup, hold off.  Because they seem to improve with each new change/revision.

Quote:
In conclusion I really enjoyed my time with some of the gear but meeting the people from this site was really the best part...

Yup!  BTW, this happens quite a bit.  I've been to two meets and two "trade" shows in the past year.  And each time I say to myself that I'm gonna listen to SOOO much gear.  It never happens. I always wind up seeing old friends, meeting new ones, and just having a good time.  I'll listen to some things that I am really considering purchasing, but other than that, it's all just fun with fellow Head-Fiers.  And you know what?  I wouldn't change a thing!

Quote:
I also liked the AK100... I purposely didn't try the AK120... one of the things that I thought about the next morning when leaving was what the Cardas Earspeakers would sound like directly out of the AK100... I liked the sound of both so much if they pair great that would be a nice little portable rig.

Oh well for Pete's sake why not??? 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I'm really starting to regret not stopping to listen to the Cardas phones. Oh well.....

There's always the L.A. meet in a few weeks...
smile.gif

Quote:

I also wanted to share this video of my interview with Audio Head on The Headphonium:
LINK HERE

That was a great vid!  I got there towards the end of that interview (walked by in the background at some point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BIG props to Frank Iacone (don't remember his handle)

& especially

shiorisekine
morserotonin 
warrenpchi 
weirdfishes

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Sonic Satori A New Journey into the Heart of the Audiophile Dream Article By Michael Mercer

Michael did a fantastic write up in Enjoy the Music on what headfi.org mean to him and the community in general regarding the Newport Beach Show.  I am proud to know Michael and really enjoy his contributions. I look foward to seeing michael at the Californi Audio show headmaster event in August. Michael a terrific article. Thanks for all you do my friend.

Yes!  It's too bad that ETM doesn't have commenting available.  I'd like to post a "letter to the editor" if I could.

Quote:

1. warrenpchi -

I have an ALO Pan Am for you to try!!

eek.gif
  How did you get that?  I might have some great Woo stuff at my table for the upcoming L.A. meet.  I would love to hear the Pan Am as - in my head - I would love to know whether I like the Pan Am or the WA7 more at that price range.

Quote:
I wanna try that bad boy too!  I also had the thought that the Cardas Ear Speakers and the Astrell and Kern AK100 if they match properly would be a kicking little system.  Thanks for the kind words in your Enjoy the Music article. I just know I had a blast meeting you all!!

Rock, paper, scissors? 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

GREAT idea bro!!
I'm gonna try them w/ my AK100 tonight!!

I've been using the Cardas Ear Speakers w/ my Sony PHA-1 & iPod Touch!

Ooh, AK100 > Cardas... vs... Microstreamer > RE-400!  Round 1.  FIGHT!

Quote:
Just watch Mike's video, so glad they didn't catch my crying when I first listened to the LCD 2's. 

LOL!

Quote:
Harry Pearson used to call this exceptional presence TAS TDF (twinkle dust factor).  Because the sound seems to sparkle in AND
around your ears!  I definitely find some of that magic in this combo.

Hmm, I've never heard that term.  But then again I'm a little young in the hobby to be familiar with a lot of Pearson's writings.  I wonder if this is in any relation to something I call SFD (Sonic Fairy Dust), or what purrin calls plankton?  Actually, I think they might all be different concepts... nevermind!

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #221 of 225
Quote:

Yeah, I gotta concur.  I've been incredibly impressed with what Dan has been able to do with those ever since I first heard it last year.  And with each revision, they have been getting better and better for me.

I completely agree.  Different strokes for different folks of course, but I don't think I'll be picking these up anytime soon. 
frown.gif

Yup, hold off.  Because they seem to improve with each new change/revision.

Yup!  BTW, this happens quite a bit.  I've been to two meets and two "trade" shows in the past year.  And each time I say to myself that I'm gonna listen to SOOO much gear.  It never happens. I always wind up seeing old friends, meeting new ones, and just having a good time.  I'll listen to some things that I am really considering purchasing, but other than that, it's all just fun with fellow Head-Fiers.  And you know what?  I wouldn't change a thing!

Oh well for Pete's sake why not??? 
biggrin.gif

There's always the L.A. meet in a few weeks...
smile.gif

That was a great vid!  I got there towards the end of that interview (walked by in the background at some point).

beerchug.gif

Yes!  It's too bad that ETM doesn't have commenting available.  I'd like to post a "letter to the editor" if I could.

eek.gif
  How did you get that?  I might have some great Woo stuff at my table for the upcoming L.A. meet.  I would love to hear the Pan Am as - in my head - I would love to know whether I like the Pan Am or the WA7 more at that price range.

Rock, paper, scissors? 
biggrin.gif

Ooh, AK100 > Cardas... vs... Microstreamer > RE-400!  Round 1.  FIGHT!

LOL!

Hmm, I've never heard that term.  But then again I'm a little young in the hobby to be familiar with a lot of Pearson's writings.  I wonder if this is in any relation to something I call SFD (Sonic Fairy Dust), or what purrin calls plankton?  Actually, I think they might all be different concepts... nevermind!

warrenpchi:

Yo! Warms my heart to hear "sonic fairy dust" is still in the lexicon! Also originated from the great Harry Pearson: who's not doing so well, so, UNLIKE the magazine that just celebrated it's 40th anniversary without so much as a phone call to its founder - lets ALL think Positive for Harry Pearson OK?  

I can't share details yet, but know that I haven't even said this much in old guard high end audio circles.  The venom and envy/jealousy (coming down to one of his formers writers calling him "irrelevant" - what an insult) - if it wasn't for Harry Pearson NONE of us would be here.  J Gordon Holt began a new sonic journey many years ago - but beginning to review stereo equipment by describing it's musical performance.

Many peeps don't know this (and I believe you won't find it in the 40th anniversary of The Absolute Sound - I can't even open it I'm so broken-hearted over the way they treat the man ):

But Harry Pearson started The Absolute Sound Newsletter (before it became a magazine, that was digest sized and always had cool artistic covers - NOT just gear photos) because he got tired of waiting for his issues of Stereophile!  He also wanted to build a community around high end audio.  After all, he started with a newsletter (he was a reporter for Newsday and Consumer Reports before that)!  So - he's very happy when I speak about what you guys have built here.  I'm not ********ting.  He's spoken with Jude a few times and has alot of love for that man!

Anyway - sorry for the l8night cyberbabble - but I'm preparing my own article for Positive Feedback - about how, at one point (and you won't find this is the new issue either - not that many peeps, if ANY here, read TAS today) it was me and my teenage friends - along with a handful of dedicated older cats, that worked for MONTHS without pay for Pearson Publishing Empire LTD (The Absolute Sound's previous parent company) in order to keep the magazine ALIVE!!!!

Seriously, we made it possible to present the magazine for sale to Tom Martin and the team at Absolute Multimedia
(they own the magazine today).

We put issues out with a shoestring budget before that,
and my own mother came in to copy-edit Harry Pearson (she's an editor)!!!!

I think its time to tell people that if it wasn't for some youthful people/energy surrounding Hp, when everybody who learned under him
left when the money went missing (another story of loss and deceit, CRAZY drama) and started their own magazine entitled Fi - 
which only lasted a few issues - that the MIGHTY TAS WOULD'VE FALLEN!!!!  

We, at one point, had to move the magazines offices ourselves to a small space in Sea Cliff, Long Island.  I did it all with a few of
my oldest friends - NONE of whom were or are audiophiles.  We were forced to vacate the original Pearson Publishing building.

We even broke back in to take possession of all the back issues!  Seriously, I couldn't make this s__ up!!

Think audiophiles wanna hear that story?  About the fact that the large, standard-issue consumer format magazine they currently get
entitled The Absolute Sound would not exist if it wasn't for the care, love, and dedication to Harry from a bunch of my childhood friends!

THAT's why Harry is so proud of what ya'll have built here.  He always wanted the high end to work together to spread the message of 
great sounding music to more people.  The way I see it?

It's destiny that I ended up a proud member of this COMMUNITY.

MUCH more to come in my article ASAP for Positive Feedback.

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #222 of 225
Jun 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #223 of 225
Michael I remember the wary days of the absolute sound and stereophile.  Harry Pearson  is a true pioneer and he and Gordon started the High End. It is sad to see the way he getting treated and sad for Harry. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #224 of 225
Thanks for the Support guys!

So do you think that would make for interesting reading?
How the Mighty TAS would've fallen had it not been for a few teenagers, one of their moms, and like four other people
who worked for nine months without pay to save it???

My goal will NOT to besmirch anybody - rather tell a tall truth that audiophiles should know about one of it's pioneers,
and the very lengths to which the people that love him would go to have his legacy...

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #225 of 225
Something tells me that this is WAY bigger than one article... probably a 4-parter if I'm imagining it properly in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back