La Figaro 332s vs 339
Oct 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BackwardPawn

100+ Head-Fier
I've narrowed my search down to these two different choices.  I'm having trouble figuring out what the extra $200 gets me in the 339--both dual mono, both La Figaro designs.  I'm going to be running DT880/600s out of them for now.  Would love to pick up a pair of used T1s, but don't know if that will ever happen.  Is the 339 worth the extra money, and will I hear the difference with my DT880s or would I be buying it for the scalability factor?  Thanks.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Nobody's heard both and can tell me whether its worth getting the more expensive one?  If I get the cheaper one, I might have money left over to get a portable DAC/amp sooner, but I'd rather get what's best for my desktop setup first.

What about purchase method, is there an advantage to buying directly from Yuking vs. one thats built and ready to ship?  Are the ebay traders authorized dealers?  Thanks.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Nevermind.  I found my answer in the 339 thread.  Will probably go with that one.  I know there's a thread for the 339, but I think impressions between the two would still be helpful for people trying to decide rather than digging through a 72 page thread.  Thanks.

Second question still stands...should I avoid Ebay, or are they authorized dealers?

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Nevermind.  I found my answer in the 339 thread.  Will probably go with that one.  I know there's a thread for the 339, but I think impressions between the two would still be helpful for people trying to decide rather than digging through a 72 page thread.  Thanks.

Second question still stands...should I avoid Ebay, or are they authorized dealers?

I haven't heard the 339 so I can't comment on that. I own the 332C and it is one very fine amp with the right tubes. I use the 332C with my T1's and it is a very good combination. I would urge you to read up on tube rolling and find out what suits your taste. For me, the Mullards were the best choice. I thought about moving to the 339 but the dual volume control is a killer for me. I just don't care for that idea.

The dealers that sell this on Ebay are "authorized" resellers. Frankly, you can by direct from the factory and they have been reported to be very reliable. They also show the lowest price for this equipment on their web site.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the reply.  I figured the 332 would work, but I think I'm going to go with the 339 now, rather than spend the money and then get the itch to upgrade later.  One of the Ebay sellers tried to tell me the 332 wasn't powerful enough for DT880s.  I figured it was, but had pretty much a made up my mind at that point already...and I will go ahead and order through the factory.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.  I figured the 332 would work, but I think I'm going to go with the 339 now, rather than spend the money and then get the itch to upgrade later.  One of the Ebay sellers tried to tell me the 332 wasn't powerful enough for DT880s.  I figured it was, but had pretty much a made up my mind at that point already...and I will go ahead and order through the factory.

They were dead wrong on the power issue. If it would drive my HE500's to ear splitting levels there is no power problem with the 332C. I have no doubt that the 339 offers some improvement but then I would get into rolling different tubes and the cost would just keep rising. The 332C sounds so good I just can't bring myself to deal with the dual volume controls.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 7
My first stereo was a hand-me-down that my mom used in college and had it had dual volume controls.  I'll admit its a pain, but there's something nostalgic about it for me.  I also really enjoyed her 8-track collection until the player in the stereo broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back