L3000 Recabling?
Apr 14, 2007 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

didwlgh

500+ Head-Fier
Thinking about going balanced w/ SE adaptors...
I know there ar many out there who recable (Moonaudio,Enigmaaudio,[AK]zip, etc), but I've never had a chance to hear these secondary market cables.

Has anyone done recabling on L3000s? Any suggestions on which might go well with the L3000s?

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 27
My l3000's were recabled by Moon Audio with Silver Dragon V2.0's. I love the sound and can't even imagine how good they would sound with a balanced cable and system. I highly recommend these because of their strong build, professional look, and great sound. Be in mind that I have not heard the l3000's with any other type of cable, but I can find nothing wrong with the silver dragon's.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 27
i would NEVER trust anyone with my L3000s besides [AK]Zip (aka Alex, aka apuresound.com).

I was debating going balanced, and if i was to do it, it would be through him.

His cables are better than moon in my opinion when i compared theirs and his on other headphones and his work is too. Get cable just how i want it.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 27
SO are [AK]zip's and silver v2....any other contenders?

BTW, can anyone compare the general characteristics of Alex's vs. others? I've never had experience with silver plated coppers - what is it like in relation to full silver/full copper? Best of both worlds?

Apr 15, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 27
i have tested almost everything available (from cardas, moon and on) vs. [AK]Zip's cables. In fact people who have been to the local DFW meets have put them to the test as well and im certain everyone would say they favored Alex's.

I cant say what mix is the best, but from what i know about Alex's cables are they are 75% silver, 25% copper. I do not know moon's ratio. And yes a pure silver could make it very harsh esp. on the high's. And im not a big fan of pure coppers either.

Besides, the fact that i find Alex's cables to sound the best to me, i love his workmanship and price. I get the cable the length i want and the material i want (he has a tex-flex cover and a nice soft cord cover.. i believe some others as well.

Soon as i find my camera i will show you my custom [AK]Zip EMU0404 to RCA cable so you can see why i like his work and why i would have gone with him had i kept my L3000s and why i am going to him to recable my AT-AD1000's.

Apr 15, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 27
Pure silver might be very beneficial for l3000. From my experience on an amp that is a bit too bright for my w5000 l3000 still lacked sparkle/air. If balancing helps out with these two things, then balancing l3000 should be very worth it.

Apr 15, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 27
I also use Alex exclusively, and his cables are better to me than the Moon offerings (as a long time Blue and Silver Dragon owner), without the maintenance issues. Further, Alex has done repair on L3000, not to mention having owned several pair himself, so he is definitely experienced with recabling this phone.

Oh, snap, stand in line regarding interest in the L3000G - since a total of 50 were made.

Apr 15, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MaloS, are you the only one on headfi to have the L3000G? Kinda interested in getting one...=)

No I don't have an l3000. I listened to the one another head-fier in this town got recently. -_-

Apr 15, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 27
Nomad is the only head-fier I know of with a grenn L3000. I believe he slightly prefers it to the brown.

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 27
Nope, not yet...still havent tried changin the headband position. but i may need a little more than what i can adjust with the medium pair. I've put something on my head to give it "proper seal," and it sounds great - but at this point w/o appropriate amps, L3000 is more convenient/forgiving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back