L3000 Driver Defect Poll
Jan 17, 2006 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

bobeau

Headphoneus Supremus
Fellow L3k Owners,

By my estimate there are a least a couple dozen L3k owners on this site and it seems a good deal have experienced the dreaded bass buzz issue. Mine apparently had the issue when new, were fixed by the original owner, only to come back (in another guise?) @ ~150 hours. Now the replacement drivers seem to have about that much mileage and are still going strong. Thinking about it, I can't recall reports of fixed phones with the issue coming back. So here we are.

Please only _current_ owners who are aware of their phones' history.

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 25
My L3000's are going strong with no buzzing or anything. Same thing goes for those drivers that I fixed that are now in another pair of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex-

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 25
Huh, I'm the only one out of 9 (so far) that's had this issue? There were a whole bunch of these reported in that thread Nik started a few moons ago.

It certainly is nice to see this issue may have been blown out of proportion.

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
It certainly is nice to see this issue may have been blown out of proportion.

I guess those who has experienced issues are in their rights to speak up about the defect and their experience of getting them repaired by audio-technica. I am interested to see what's poportion of the population (at least on Head-fi) that has encounter the issue.

Could everyone also add the first two digits of their serial number as well as the way they source their L3000 initially.

Mine is T43x and was sourced via PriceJapan.com

Overlunge

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 25
No buzz on my old pair. I tried test-tones too!

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 25
No problems experienced. Tested with RealTraps Test Tones, Bink Audio Test, Super Audio Check CD, etc.

Serial# T219 was purchased new Nov. 05 from local Audio-Technica dealer in Taipei.

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 25
Lest anyone think I'm crazy, here are comments from the thread I was talking about above

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=l3000+defect

Nik: "AS I wrote even my L3000 is defective."

Chamix: "It was clear audible in the right channel and I am now very disappointed by AT's quality protection, because it seems to be a general problem."

NeilPeart:" both of Ayt999’s L3000s exhibited the distortion issue"

CD44Hi: "Just to reiterate, I heard the distortion during music playback, with bass-rich tunes."

Ken36: "Yesterday I heard the dreaded right ear vibration for the first time."

So that's 7 including my own, and it seems I've read of a few others not mentioned in that thread (including a guy who bought a G while his was repaired). So... the response to this thread does seem odd. My intent is not to villify AT, just trying to gauge if they've truly fixed the issue on repairs as well as get a better grasp of how common it was with original drivers. The poll results are anonymous.

Mine are #403.

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 25
I'm just confused since I have two L3000's and this poll format doesn't seem to be compatible....
rolleyes.gif

now, part of the reason why both of the L3000's I have were defective was I was helping a few people obtain L3000's a while back, and in the process checked for defects and repaired it for them before shipping it out as a favor. I figured around that time that since I like the L3000 a lot, having a spare might not be a bad idea so got one for myself too. anyways, I had to leave Japan soon and still was doing the checking and shipping, and since one of the last two I bought turned out to be defective, I shipped out the good pair to the Head-Fier and kept the defective one for myself since I didn't really need it and could send it in for repairs and get it later if I had to leave Japan before it was finished. so there's that story.... (if you missed it my original pair didn't have sonically perfect drivers, and I probably was the first or one of the first to do repairs back during the 2004/2005 holidays.)

why we are still talking about this is beyond me and IMO this topic is long past the point of being overdiscussed (and I seem to notice quite a lack of reviews on the L3000 / positive threads on it in comparison despite the seemingly large number of owners, and why would they own something so expensive if they don't like it). there are plenty of posts already discussing people who've had the problem, and it probably is safe to assume that the others don't have it or at least safe to say that there is a high chance of them not having problems, so you can most likely figure out a decent figure from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back