L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jul 26, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #6,226 of 6,808
Any views on HX Pro?

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #6,227 of 6,808
My personal preference would be for an Eumig FL-1000uP, if one comes up at a sensible price and the heads can still be serviced (I think they were made by Alpine). Alternatively, for more sensible money, a good old Nak BX-300…

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #6,228 of 6,808
My personal preference would be for an Eumig FL-1000uP, if one comes up at a sensible price and the heads can still be serviced (I think they were made by Alpine). Alternatively, for more sensible money, a good old Nak BX-300…

You can get a BX-300 at a very reasonable price, here are some in your area.

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anze...ervice-tapedeck-reparatur/2479794890-172-8442

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anze...-head-tapedeck-serviced-top-/2382830844-172-9

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/nakamichi-bx-300e-tapedeck/2495481887-172-1871

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #6,229 of 6,808
ZX-7, very nice. Well I'll take your word for it and grab some SA-X sometime soon. The SA-XG are insanely expensive nowadays, >$200 per tape. I think they've reached collector's item status. Maybe I'll happen across one at a thrift store some day :)
Hard to even wrap my brain around someone paying that much for a single blank tape. I’ve dwindled to what I showed you earlier, a stock of XGs that were bought when TDK sold them retail. So they were maybe five bucks a piece at a case price(?!) TDK SAX90 we’re about three bucks each, $30/case of ten. Tapes.com I believe.

But again, I really trust that if a particular brand of tape was utilized as a reference to design a deck… that would be the one to target.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #6,230 of 6,808
Hard to even wrap my brain around someone paying that much for a single blank tape. I’ve dwindled to what I showed you earlier, a stock of XGs that were bought when TDK sold them retail. So they were maybe five bucks a piece at a case price(?!) TDK SAX90 we’re about three bucks each, $30/case of ten. Tapes.com I believe.

But again, I really trust that if a particular brand of tape was utilized as a reference to design a deck… that would be the one to target.

The heyday of tapes was before my time, so I'm behind the curve, but from what I've gathered prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years. I'm trying to buy in lots of 10 or more to save money, but even with my deals, I'm paying a fortune compared to MSRP.

And that's good advice about matching tapes to your deck, I've read that elsewhere. I don't know if there was a particular tape that was utilized with the B215, but I know they play very nicely with BASF true chromes. One its main features was its autocal. Going to experiment with different types / brands and find my niche.

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #6,231 of 6,808
Oh boy got my transformers from Dave...

Here are the ones for the LCR phono stage. E55L output transformers on top, then D3a interstage transformers, then the LCR inductors on the bottom.

PXL_20230728_000237983-2.jpg

Then the transformers for the HY69 headamp. Another set of D3a interstage transformers, and the 6.5K output transformers. Primary winding DCR is ~365ohm for proper biasing of the HY69 since it will sit in the tubes cathode, like in Aegis.

PXL_20230728_001004177-3.jpg

These are going to make sonic bliss.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #6,232 of 6,808
They look like they should be on show. They look amazing... and no doubt will sound it as well!!

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #6,233 of 6,808
Thanks! I really like the brass end bells on the output transformers. Going to work on that amp after the 2A3 amp I'm doing now. I need to place an order for custom filament and mains transformers though...

That phono stage build is going to be some serious work, probably will be a slower developing project.

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #6,234 of 6,808
I have some very old ceramic base HY69 in my stash, going to look very old school with those brass transformers.

PXL_20230728_103947106-2.jpg

I had planned to do the custom mains and filament transformers through Monolith Magnetics. Their sort of minimalist aesthetic might clash with the brass transformers, but options are pretty limited as far as custom mains go. In the past, I would have done them through Sowter. Maybe I can call in a favor.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #6,235 of 6,808
I will definitely be fusing the B+ supply to protect my precious output transformers. Going to be a very interesting circuit being all transformer coupled with 49% nickel cores, cathode follower power stage, thoriated tungsten output tubes...

Interestingly, this idea is dramatically simplified by using HY69 as opposed to a typical DHT, the reason being the triode-strapped pentode does not require a significant amount of negative grid bias to reach the desired bias point, -20V or so, similar to pentodes in Aegis, so the output transformer DCR is sufficient to bias the tube. I specifically asked Dave to target ~350ohm for the primary DCR for this reason. Trying to do the same with say, a 2A3 would take -40 to -50V, meaning a very high primary DCR which hurts the output impedance, or a dedicated grid bias supply to supplement the bias provided by the output transformer primary winding. Not very appealing.

With the HY69, it's easy peasy. It's like it was meant to be :)

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #6,237 of 6,808
Jul 31, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #6,238 of 6,808
Since I can do nothing but wait for my cassette deck, my mind has wandered elsewhere...

I have this LCR phono on the horizon, so I'm going to make some more tweaks to my Thorens deck. A vintage turntable is a never ending project. I've noticed subtle but perceptible speed variability when using different belts with the TD125.

PXL_20230731_211543735.MP-2.jpg

I decided I need a better belt, nay, the best belt! I found it, specifically engineered by a guy named Mike Pickwell who I found on Pink Fish Media. These belts are made from a continuous circular mold as opposed to being cut from a flat piece of material and glue joined as most other belts are. He states it dropped the measured wow on his TD125 from 0.2% to 0.07%.

s-l1600.jpg

He gave me a few other tips (he is quite the Thorens knowhow). He had a iron cast platter made for the TD125 that he also sells! The TD125 platter is zinc alloy. The TD124 also came with a zinc alloy platter, but also could be purchased with a cast iron platter. According to Mike, the iron platter is significantly better on the TD124, which was his inspiration for having them made for the TD125. They are slightly heavier than the zinc platter, but engineered to finer tolerances and better balanced.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Obviously I need to try it, but I'm holding off for now, they aren't cheap and I've been spending a lot lately. My only concern is how it will affect the suspension with the additional weight, my custom armboard already is pretty hefty and adds some additional weight, but in theory I should be able to compensate for it.

He also recommended I get a machined motor pulley from Audiosilente. I've bought other after market Thorens parts from them, they do excellent work, so I will be grabbing one of those as well.

rt-2.jpg

That should get her ready to go for the LCR phono. I'm a little afraid of how good it's going to sound, I'm fearful it is going to ruin digital audio for me entirely lol.

On the 2A3 amplifier front, I wanted to use a somewhat elegant solution to couple the Goldpoint headphone impedance selector switch to the front panel. Decided to use 1/4" rod with a coupler. I found these nifty NOS chassis bushings on eBay, which I love. Simple, but just makes the end result all the more clean and satisfying.

PXL_20230731_211732007-2.jpg PXL_20230731_211808837-2.jpg

I found these sweet knobs to use on the amp, and Zach approves. Vintage Japanese Alcoknobs, very clean and will go well with the clear Simpson ammeters.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

There will be two on the front side-by-side, one for volume, one for impedance selection.

Untitled.png

I'm just waiting on those Monolith Magnetics transformers, they are holding up the party. Otherwise, I began drafting the chassis for my HY69 amp as well. I asked pretty please for Sowter to build me some mains / filament transformers for it as aesthetically they are more on theme. No response yet, we'll see, otherwise probably will do MM for them as well.

That is all I have to report, otherwise just enjoying seeing the new Aegis builds and hearing feedback in the other thread :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #6,239 of 6,808
Since I can do nothing but wait for my cassette deck, my mind has wandered elsewhere...

I have this LCR phono on the horizon, so I'm going to make some more tweaks to my Thorens deck. A vintage turntable is a never ending project. I've noticed subtle but perceptible speed variability when using different belts with the TD125.

I decided I need a better belt, nay, the best belt! I found it, specifically engineered by a guy named Mike Pickwell who I found on Pink Fish Media. These belts are made from a continuous circular mold as opposed to being cut from a flat piece of material and glue joined as most other belts are. He states it dropped the measured wow on his TD125 from 0.2% to 0.07%.

s-l1600.jpg

He gave me a few other tips (he is quite the Thorens knowhow). He had a iron cast platter made for the TD125 that he also sells! The TD125 platter is zinc alloy. The TD124 also came with a zinc alloy platter, but also could be purchased with a cast iron platter. According to Mike, the iron platter is significantly better on the TD124, which was his inspiration for having them made for the TD125. They are slightly heavier than the zinc platter, but engineered to finer tolerances and better balanced.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Obviously I need to try it, but I'm holding off for now, they aren't cheap and I've been spending a lot lately. My only concern is how it will affect the suspension with the additional weight, my custom armboard already is pretty hefty and adds some additional weight, but in theory I should be able to compensate for it.

He also recommended I get a machined motor pulley from Audiosilente. I've bought other after market Thorens parts from them, they do excellent work, so I will be grabbing one of those as well.

rt-2.jpg

That should get her ready to go for the LCR phono. I'm a little afraid of how good it's going to sound, I'm fearful it is going to ruin digital audio for me entirely lol.

On the 2A3 amplifier front, I wanted to use a somewhat elegant solution to couple the Goldpoint headphone impedance selector switch to the front panel. Decided to use 1/4" rod with a coupler. I found these nifty NOS chassis bushings on eBay, which I love. Simple, but just makes the end result all the more clean and satisfying.

I found these sweet knobs to use on the amp, and Zach approves. Vintage Japanese Alcoknobs, very clean and will go well with the clear Simpson ammeters.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

There will be two on the front side-by-side, one for volume, one for impedance selection.

Untitled.png

I'm just waiting on those Monolith Magnetics transformers, they are holding up the party. Otherwise, I began drafting the chassis for my HY69 amp as well. I asked pretty please for Sowter to build me some mains / filament transformers for it as aesthetically they are more on theme. No response yet, we'll see, otherwise probably will do MM for them as well.

That is all I have to report, otherwise just enjoying seeing the new Aegis builds and hearing feedback in the other thread :)
Won’t a cast iron platter rule out the use of MC cartridges?

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #6,240 of 6,808

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

rt-2.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Untitled.png

Is the LCR phono a DIY tube phono stage you have on the horizon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back