L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
May 25, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #6,107 of 6,808
Tube amps are just too fun to stop. I think some of us were together for a long time including @L0rdGwyn .
Yes the Glenn thread at one time was the best thread on this site. It's actually kind of sad to see that thread essentially dead now

May 25, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #6,108 of 6,808
Tube amps are just too fun to stop. I think some of us were together for a long time including @L0rdGwyn .

Yes, for me it all started on Glenn's thread. I went there thinking "this is where the real tube maniacs hang out". I had no idea it would go this far haha!

May 25, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #6,109 of 6,808
A friend tried to convince me NOT to order the GOTL (5 years ago now? more?). He told me it is too much of a niche, "only for HD600 and HD800"... Well, definitely one of the best purchases ever for me, in terms of how much fun I got out of it. That is before I had any ZMF, but honestly - even if you only own HD600 or HD650: worth it!

May 25, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #6,110 of 6,808
Yes, for me it all started on Glenn's thread. I went there thinking "this is where the real tube maniacs hang out". I had no idea it would go this far haha!

It was the best of time for me. To see you go from a consumer to a creator, that is remarkable. I am just wondering what’s holding you back from turning this into a profitable business venture.

May 25, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #6,111 of 6,808
A friend tried to convince me NOT to order the GOTL (5 years ago now? more?). He told me it is too much of a niche, "only for HD600 and HD800"... Well, definitely one of the best purchases ever for me, in terms of how much fun I got out of it. That is before I had any ZMF, but honestly - even if you only own HD600 or HD650: worth it!

You have as many tube amps as I do now.

May 25, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #6,112 of 6,808
It was the best of time for me. To see you go from a consumer to a creator, that is remarkable. I am just wondering what’s holding you back from turning this into a profitable business venture.

Ah well there is a lot to consider. I have a career, I'm not interested in working two jobs, and quitting my job and going all in on tubes is more risk than in interested in taking lol. And of course I have student loans from graduate school, most of which will be forgiven if I continue working in healthcare for another five years. I have thought about it though, maybe some day but right now isn't the time.

May 25, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #6,113 of 6,808
Ah well there is a lot to consider. I have a career, I'm not interested in working two jobs, and quitting my job and going all in on tubes is more risk than in interested in taking lol. And of course I have student loans from graduate school, most of which will be forgiven if I continue working in healthcare for another five years. I have thought about it though, maybe some day but right now isn't the time.

Yes someday but don't put off too long. Just remember how Apple started. In a garage !

Now all you need is a marketeer like Steve Jobs and I recommend Bcowen.

May 26, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #6,114 of 6,808
Wow, feeling a bit better so have been doing quite a bit more listening tonight. With these new Natti's(National Union 6JGT's) the Airmid is dead quiet. Full tilt on, no input its dead quiet and the slight microphonics in the one tube are virtually gone. I tap the base of the amp hard and I get a very subtle ring. The other side just goes thunk. You can hear these are slightly better tubes and my previous set were better than my GEC L63's although maybe not quite as quiet. This is damn exciting and I just did an upgrade to my memory jitter reduction software I use with Jplay and Process Lasso. It's an ongoing thing that Orya of Bughead Emperor fame does fairly regularly. 66th version of his latest improvement. Holy smokes it opens up the stage, tightens the base and has just a bit more PRAT and air then version 65! Wow what pleasant surprise for the evening,

jgwtriode

May 26, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #6,115 of 6,808
Yes someday but don't put off too long. Just remember how Apple started. In a garage !

Now all you need is a marketeer like Steve Jobs and I recommend Bcowen.
Nope!! Bcowen is more like Steve Ballmer... :laughing:

Get your Steves right!

May 26, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #6,116 of 6,808
Trying to get back to some reasonable routine! I have been out of it for a number of weeks. Just to cut to the chase I have been diagnosed with Papillary Renal Cell Carcinoma and am currently being treated for it I do have good doctors, including a wholistic MD. Doing targeted immuno therapy. An IV once a month and a crazy expensive Oral. I am managing and friends family and church are all very encouraging. Don't have much energy at nights to listen any more, but occassionaly. Obviously Audio has been put on hold and the copays accumulate. Have had to use up most of my PTO at work and am balancing hours and appointments as best I can. Not so bad that I have stopped working or am considering taking disability.

I was able to get another set of National Union 6J5GT's a couple weeks back. One of my other set got quite microphonic, still sound great but slightly higher noise and occasional resonance in one channel a hint more noticeable. Burned the new set in and this set is sounding better, bit more dynamic, with a hint more weight and drive in
the botton end and overall just a touch more detail and clarity. That was a pleasant surprise! Feeling a bit better tonight, doing some listening!

Hope to manage this and get it under control over the next few months. I do have a go fund me, that my nutritionist set up. Costs are exorbitant and I have switched to a much more expensive organic keto diet to help deal with things nutritionally. https://gofund.me/b7fbecfa

Anyway miss having the energy to more readily keep up with all the excitement. But it always a thrill to come back and see what LOrdGwyn is up to and to hear the latest news from everyone here.

Thanks for your support, prayer and wishes and the amazing vibe that come from this group,

James
Sorry to hear, hang in there and get well soon :)

May 26, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #6,119 of 6,808
Matt and I go way back. I lost count how many times he has typed "no more amps for me", and yet here we are again!

Thanks Gibosi. So you're using an adapter in each power socket that accomodates 2-3 6bx7 per side? How's the hum factor?

I suspect that I am willing to tolerate more hum than many here. :)

That said, I have found that it can be a challenge to get four or six of these tubes to play well together using these adapters. After rolling through a number of tubes, I was able to find a few that play well together: Four Tung-Sol 6BX7 in one adapter and six Melz 6N12S in another adapter And while there is some background hum, I only hear it during very quiet passages or between songs, and it doesn't bother me.

May 26, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #6,120 of 6,808
Glenn told me that using only one 6BX7 per socket pushes B+ too high. So it is best to use two or three.

Ok I wasn't aware of that. I tried one per socket in the Super 9 GOTL but obviously 6 x 6bx7 in that amp sounds better.

@goldwerger please take note of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back