L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
May 25, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #6,076 of 6,808
Trying to get back to some reasonable routine! I have been out of it for a number of weeks. Just to cut to the chase I have been diagnosed with Papillary Renal Cell Carcinoma and am currently being treated for it I do have good doctors, including a wholistic MD. Doing targeted immuno therapy. An IV once a month and a crazy expensive Oral. I am managing and friends family and church are all very encouraging. Don't have much energy at nights to listen any more, but occassionaly. Obviously Audio has been put on hold and the copays accumulate. Have had to use up most of my PTO at work and am balancing hours and appointments as best I can. Not so bad that I have stopped working or am considering taking disability.

I was able to get another set of National Union 6J5GT's a couple weeks back. One of my other set got quite microphonic, still sound great but slightly higher noise and occasional resonance in one channel a hint more noticeable. Burned the new set in and this set is sounding better, bit more dynamic, with a hint more weight and drive in
the botton end and overall just a touch more detail and clarity. That was a pleasant surprise! Feeling a bit better tonight, doing some listening!

Hope to manage this and get it under control over the next few months. I do have a go fund me, that my nutritionist set up. Costs are exorbitant and I have switched to a much more expensive organic keto diet to help deal with things nutritionally. https://gofund.me/b7fbecfa

Anyway miss having the energy to more readily keep up with all the excitement. But it always a thrill to come back and see what LOrdGwyn is up to and to hear the latest news from everyone here.

Thanks for your support, prayer and wishes and the amazing vibe that come from this group,

James
May faith and music give you support and wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

May 25, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #6,077 of 6,808
Trying to get back to some reasonable routine! I have been out of it for a number of weeks. Just to cut to the chase I have been diagnosed with Papillary Renal Cell Carcinoma and am currently being treated for it I do have good doctors, including a wholistic MD. Doing targeted immuno therapy. An IV once a month and a crazy expensive Oral. I am managing and friends family and church are all very encouraging. Don't have much energy at nights to listen any more, but occassionaly. Obviously Audio has been put on hold and the copays accumulate. Have had to use up most of my PTO at work and am balancing hours and appointments as best I can. Not so bad that I have stopped working or am considering taking disability.

I was able to get another set of National Union 6J5GT's a couple weeks back. One of my other set got quite microphonic, still sound great but slightly higher noise and occasional resonance in one channel a hint more noticeable. Burned the new set in and this set is sounding better, bit more dynamic, with a hint more weight and drive in
the botton end and overall just a touch more detail and clarity. That was a pleasant surprise! Feeling a bit better tonight, doing some listening!

Hope to manage this and get it under control over the next few months. I do have a go fund me, that my nutritionist set up. Costs are exorbitant and I have switched to a much more expensive organic keto diet to help deal with things nutritionally. https://gofund.me/b7fbecfa

Anyway miss having the energy to more readily keep up with all the excitement. But it always a thrill to come back and see what LOrdGwyn is up to and to hear the latest news from everyone here.

Thanks for your support, prayer and wishes and the amazing vibe that come from this group,

James

Thanks for sharing James, I'm very sorry to hear that, keep the faith and positive attitude! Wishing you the best on your road to recovery.

May 25, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #6,078 of 6,808
Zach and I are talking maybe 2A3 rather than 300B for his amplifier since he has a number of 300B amps around now. And let's face it, the 2A3 is cooler :) but we are going with Monolith Magnetics Nano-X nanocrystalline core transformers for interstage and output. Going to be quite the amplifier.

May 25, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #6,079 of 6,808
Zach and I are talking maybe 2A3 rather than 300B for his amplifier since he has a number of 300B amps around now. And let's face it, the 2A3 is cooler :) but we are going with Monolith Magnetics Nano-X nanocrystalline core transformers for interstage and output. Going to be quite the amplifier.
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway - is it possible to make it switchable so it can accept either 2A3 -or- 300B?

May 25, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #6,080 of 6,808
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway - is it possible to make it switchable so it can accept either 2A3 -or- 300B?

Not a dumb question, it is possible but adds a lot of complexity. 300B and 2A3 use different filament voltage and current, 5V 1.2A for the 300B, 2.5V 2.5A. for the 2A3. So you need a filament supply that can do both. Not only that, but you also should have a switchable B+ supply as they bias at different voltages. So it can be done, but you are adding a lot of extra circuitry. I'd rather build two streamlined amps, one for each tube. Just my preference.

May 25, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #6,081 of 6,808
Not a dumb question, it is possible but adds a lot of complexity. 300B and 2A3 use different filament voltage and current, 5V 1.2A for the 300B, 2.5V 2.5A. for the 2A3. So you need a filament supply that can do both. Not only that, but you also should have a switchable B+ supply as they bias at different voltages. So it can be done, but you are adding a lot of extra circuitry. I'd rather build two streamlined amps, one for each tube. Just my preference.

Me too. I rather have 2 amps than one that does both.

May 25, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #6,082 of 6,808
Me too. I rather have 2 amps than one that does both.

I just don't have the patience to build out all that circuitry and make everything work.

May 25, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #6,083 of 6,808
May 25, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #6,084 of 6,808
May 25, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #6,085 of 6,808
There is at least one commercial loudspeaker amp built that way; Audion Silver Night. I think they ordered custom transformers from Lundahl for it. I know of several staying with 2A3 in it...

May 25, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #6,086 of 6,808

James
James, I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Your enthusiasm for this hobby is infectious and I'm looking forward to many, many more years of interacting with you.

May 25, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #6,087 of 6,808
James, I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Your enthusiasm for this hobby is infectious and I'm looking forward to many, many more years of interacting with you.
Thanks Monster your too kind! I appreciate all your thoughts, wishes and prayers! One can never have too many good friends! Especially who enjoy the same things! I count it one of my greatest blessings to have gotten to know you! Hopefully if the fates are kind and I trust they are. I will get a chance to personally meet you one of these days! I highly look forward to that!

Thank you for being so monstrous and always so inspirational!

I always appreciate your incites,your kindness and your friendship,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #6,088 of 6,808
I had a pair of Cary 2A3 monoblocks a good while back. Loved those things. Rather impractical as speaker amps with their (IIRC) 3wpc output, but that would be more than plenty for headphones. Think I still have some black plate RCA's in the stash somewhere....

May 25, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #6,089 of 6,808
2A3’s are lovely magical things! All about nostalgia and tone, harmonics and reminiscing! All beautiful voluptuous curves and amber orange blue glow! I seriously loved my Bottlehead Paraglows with Vaic cobalt mesh plates and Magnequest cobalt transformers…and silver oil mundorf parafeed caps! Hard to part with! The Airmid sounds so very much like it perhaps a bit less euphoric with more punch and dynamics! But oh the magic! They carress the ear, the eye and certainly the soul! Perhaps the most beautiful 2.5 to 3 watts I have ever heard!

jgwtriode

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #6,090 of 6,808

2a3 / 45 is my next tube amp and it will be in Ferrari red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back