L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jan 21, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #5,806 of 6,808
Jan 21, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #5,807 of 6,808
I've heard to the US it's not too bad, but DHL to Canada there are also high brokerage fees (but better than UPS). I try and stick to local carriers as much as possible and co-operative sellers.
Apparently if you have easy access to a customs office, it's pretty simple/easy to do the clearance yourself. You just fill out the form, pay your duties/taxes and get them to email the clearance to the carrier. Way cheaper than being gouged brokerage fees. I can't confirm if it is that simple, cause the closest customs office to me is ~500km away

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #5,808 of 6,808
Apparently if you have easy access to a customs office, it's pretty simple/easy to do the clearance yourself. You just fill out the form, pay your duties/taxes and get them to email the clearance to the carrier. Way cheaper than being gouged brokerage fees. I can't confirm if it is that simple, cause the closest customs office to me is ~500km away
500km is like 3 miles, right?

I was never good at metric stuff..... 🤣

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #5,809 of 6,808
It is going to happen, I'm getting a little itch :) I have done a lot with single-ended tube circuits and I don't have much interest in push-pull designs. My systems are approaching a steady state I will be happy with for years. Once my new DAC, phono stage, and headamp are done and Aegis is released, I will hit the books again and start working on something different. By comparison, solid state circuits are cheap to make, so that will be a relief!

It has to happen. Having tube and solid state amps in your setup will cover all base.

Matt, you said the same thing years ago when you were on your vintage Sansui kick....You'll return to the dark side soon enough.

What SS amp did you get?

It's a Musical Fidelity x150. https://positive-feedback.com/Issue19/mfx150.htm

Don't remind me about the Sansui(s). Those 3 mountain water were a rich part of my journey and I regret loosing them. That said the tube amps that I have now are rock solid choices for me and they will remain.

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #5,812 of 6,808
Can't stay quiet! I have mentioned the jitter reduction softway I use that is freely supplied by a brilliant Japanese who rights a number of higher level software apps for both linux and windows. He developed Bughead Emperor for Example and still updates it.

But for me it is this stuff. He has come up with a wholly new Variant called Extreme Stabilizer that is making my head explode! I am listening to it's third iteration right now. This all over a week and a half! The first one had problems and I prefered his most recent Excercise Stabilizer, earlier simpler program. The second one started blurring the sound of the system enough that it started reminding me of why I loved my VanDenHul running on a higly modded WTA on Well Tempered table on a Dedicated Turntable stand. Blurred the difference between Analogue and Digital. The latest explodes the dynamics beyond what you might imagine, kills the noise floor and blows up the stage in all directions and significantly improves layering density and weight of images! You thought the VC on an Airmid with National Unions and 5998's was impressive. You have no idea! You think you have heard reality as defined by a very good audio system, this is something else. I have never heard anything I have owned or heard over the last 10 years sound this real. I know there is a lot more that I need to improve in my system. And there is certainly better stuff out there but this transforms what is running behind it! Imagine a brute force amp telling a speaker or headphone, "Oh no you cannot do that, it has to reproduced like this" That is literally what it makes my system do. Like some real time computer level feedback correction loop running real time!

This is a RAM level upgrade, that gets a lot better each time he brings out the latest version. The previous version Excercise Stabilizer improved things incrementally in a number of way with each iteration.

But with this one nothing is incremental. And Extreme Stabilizer 53 does all of what 52 does only better. By the end of next week 54 will be out! The moderators and fanboys are blowing up the page over on the Jplay forum. http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/3063-pink-hq-minorityclean/page-217.

It's for intel based streaming and storage at least 4th or 5th generation and most use it with Jplay femto, but it does the same things either way!
You do have to run Process Lasso to properly set CPU priorities with it. It works perfectly with Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer, only the latest version, which allows it to run in memory. Old versions will conflict and little kick it out!

I have Jplay but don't like how they implement it with Qobuz. Will be doing HQplayer with Qobuz end of February or March.

Just had to share, happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #5,813 of 6,808
Can't stay quiet! I have mentioned the jitter reduction softway I use that is freely supplied by a brilliant Japanese who rights a number of higher level software apps for both linux and windows. He developed Bughead Emperor for Example and still updates it.

But for me it is this stuff. He has come up with a wholly new Variant called Extreme Stabilizer that is making my head explode! I am listening to it's third iteration right now. This all over a week and a half! The first one had problems and I prefered his most recent Excercise Stabilizer, earlier simpler program. The second one started blurring the sound of the system enough that it started reminding me of why I loved my VanDenHul running on a higly modded WTA on Well Tempered table on a Dedicated Turntable stand. Blurred the difference between Analogue and Digital. The latest explodes the dynamics beyond what you might imagine, kills the noise floor and blows up the stage in all directions and significantly improves layering density and weight of images! You thought the VC on an Airmid with National Unions and 5998's was impressive. You have no idea! You think you have heard reality as defined by a very good audio system, this is something else. I have never heard anything I have owned or heard over the last 10 years sound this real. I know there is a lot more that I need to improve in my system. And there is certainly better stuff out there but this transforms what is running behind it! Imagine a brute force amp telling a speaker or headphone, "Oh no you cannot do that, it has to reproduced like this" That is literally what it makes my system do. Like some real time computer level feedback correction loop running real time!

This is a RAM level upgrade, that gets a lot better each time he brings out the latest version. The previous version Excercise Stabilizer improved things incrementally in a number of way with each iteration.

But with this one nothing is incremental. And Extreme Stabilizer 53 does all of what 52 does only better. By the end of next week 54 will be out! The moderators and fanboys are blowing up the page over on the Jplay forum. http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/3063-pink-hq-minorityclean/page-217.

It's for intel based streaming and storage at least 4th or 5th generation and most use it with Jplay femto, but it does the same things either way!
You do have to run Process Lasso to properly set CPU priorities with it. It works perfectly with Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer, only the latest version, which allows it to run in memory. Old versions will conflict and little kick it out!

I have Jplay but don't like how they implement it with Qobuz. Will be doing HQplayer with Qobuz end of February or March.

Just had to share, happy listening,

jgwtriode
Does the Japanese developer have webpages for the Bughead Emperor and Extreme Stabilizer?
Quick google search did not find it (only various places I can download it from)...

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,814 of 6,808
Does the Japanese developer have webpages for the Bughead Emperor and Extreme Stabilizer?
Quick google search did not find it (only various places I can download it from)...
Here you go! https://www.mics.ne.jp/~moice-acts/MajiorityClean/ If your interested in Extreme Stabilizer, it is easier to load it with Trusted Installer(oops its actually called Trusted Clean, now 2.0). Availble on the Jplay Forum link I left. Specifically from Hungry Bear who wrote. But Orya also has an app on his page. You will find the latest Bughead Emperor embedded in his zip file when you unzip it!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #5,815 of 6,808
Been busy with work, so haven't gotten much more done. I have my sights set on finishing my PCM63 DAC before working on anything else, should have the chassis this week. Should only take a day to build, then I'll get back to Aegis.

Had some ideas today about what I'd like to do with my HY69 amplifier. I think I am going to keep the power supply passive, tube rectified, and dual mono. That means a pair of rectifiers, one for each channel. I'm also going to use Kelvin lead Clarity Cap film caps throughout the power supply. Also going to use one Lundahl filter choke per channel and put one of the two windings in the ground rail for better noise rejection. One choke should cut it, makes around 1µV of ripple on the output, but could consider replacing the first RC filter with another pi filter. E810F LED biased with a specific 3.4V LED in mind. Interstage transformer and output transformer from Intact audio, 49% nickel cores.

Anyway, one channel would look sorta like this. This would be one crazy amplifier, a little over 1W output with a standard 2Vrms input, but oh what a watt it would be.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #5,816 of 6,808
Hey @L0rdGwyn I know you like your curves :) Plugged the Amplitrex into the laptop today and have been playing around.

STC black glass 383 curve test.jpg
STC black glass 383 tube test.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #5,817 of 6,808
Hey @L0rdGwyn I know you like your curves :) Plugged the Amplitrex into the laptop today and have been playing around.

STC black glass 383 curve test.jpgSTC black glass 383 tube test.jpgIMG_0714.jpg

Wow cool! That looks fun to play with, I get super excited when I get a new tube to test, especially pentodes without available triode curves, always looking for that diamond in the rough :)

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #5,818 of 6,808
then you must watch Lilyhammer... don't want to spoil it, trust me :wink:

Watched the first episode and I am totally hooked.....thanks again for the heads-up

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #5,819 of 6,808
Watched the first episode and I am totally hooked.....thanks again for the heads-up

3 seasons only. But same pace and quality all through. I’ve now watched it twice back to back, and enjoyed it second time even more. You’re in for a treat. Have fun 😊😊

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #5,820 of 6,808
3 seasons only. But same pace and quality all through. I’ve now watched it twice back to back, and enjoyed it second time even more. You’re in for a treat. Have fun 😊😊
Nice. Didn't know about that. Just added to "My List" on Netflix.

"Top Boy" is a grittier UK show that some might like. Top Boy Summerhouse season 1 and 2 are also on Netflix and they are the real first two seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back