L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #5,776 of 6,808
yea, every tube amp opens a whole fresh can of worms of hunting and optimizing..
Totally agree! I won’t lie; some of my amp decisions is based on what existing tubes I have on hand from previous amps. I tend to keep a lot of the 12au7/6sn7 variants because they’re widely used and save a lot of hunting.

Jan 20, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #5,777 of 6,808
Totally agree! I won’t lie; some of my amp decisions is based on what existing tubes I have on hand from previous amps. I tend to keep a lot of the 12au7/6sn7 variants because they’re widely used and save a lot of hunting.
that's a good idea..!

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #5,778 of 6,808
yea, every tube amp opens a whole fresh can of worms of hunting and optimizing..

Totally rewarding imo. I’ve been through 6as7 / 6080 (wa22, Euforia, La Figaro, GOTL), 6v6 (Studio Six), Kt88/ EL34 (Elekit 8200, Odyssey) and then finally 300b (Destiny, Telemachus).

Not forgetting EL81 (Oblivion)

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #5,779 of 6,808
The other positive is some of the amps I’ve had, such as the Bottlehead mainline or s.e.x. dont respond much at all to tube rolling, so cheap does juuuust fine :).

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #5,780 of 6,808
Totally rewarding imo. I’ve been through 6as7 / 6080 (wa22, Euforia, La Figaro, GOTL), 6v6 (Studio Six), Kt88/ EL34 (Elekit 8200, Odyssey) and then finally 300b (Destiny, Telemachus).

Not forgetting EL81 (Oblivion)

it's certainly always very educational. I end up learning everything I can about every tube class and it's always endless... :wink:

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #5,782 of 6,808
I'm waiting for the day Keenan goes solid state because I've just been touched by the celestial wings of Musical Fidelity.
Obviously, Keenan doesn't drink as much as you. 🤣 🤣

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #5,784 of 6,808
Jan 20, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #5,785 of 6,808
I don't have that many years left. 🤣 🤣

Hang on buddy. You can't go before me. :wink: In the meantime, I'll play you the piano man.

IMG_5672.jpg

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #5,786 of 6,808
I'm trying to save him from tubes and he will go solid state, just you wait.

It is going to happen, I'm getting a little itch :) I have done a lot with single-ended tube circuits and I don't have much interest in push-pull designs. My systems are approaching a steady state I will be happy with for years. Once my new DAC, phono stage, and headamp are done and Aegis is released, I will hit the books again and start working on something different. By comparison, solid state circuits are cheap to make, so that will be a relief!

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #5,787 of 6,808
I'm trying to save him from tubes and he will go solid state, just you wait.

Nothing wrong with solid state. You get away from many problems that you get when dealing with tubes.

That being said, if one is a tube lover, that will never go away.....like the mafia...."once your in, your in"

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #5,788 of 6,808
It is going to happen, I'm getting a little itch :) I have done a lot with single-ended tube circuits and I don't have much interest in push-pull designs. My systems are approaching a steady state I will be happy with for years. Once my new DAC, phono stage, and headamp are done and Aegis is released, I will hit the books again and start working on something different. By comparison, solid state circuits are cheap to make, so that will be a relief!

I'm pretty much a tube amp person as you probably know but last week an advert came up in the local classified that caught my eye. It's so new that I decided to take a chance. So I contacted the seller and arrange for an audition at his place. When I got there, I was rather surprised by the simplicity of his setup. A turntable, a solid state amp and a pair of speakers on stylish stands and that solid state is the Musical Fidelity x150. What I heard next was enough to make me want to buy it.

So I got it home and hook it up to Susvara and Yggdrasil and it was incredible. It was even more incredible that the remote control is still brand new. So now I'm no longer strictly a tube amp lover but I will love any amps that amplify - nicely. :)

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #5,790 of 6,808
So now I'm no longer strictly a tube amp lover but I will love any amps that amplify - nicely. :)
Matt, you said the same thing years ago when you were on your vintage Sansui kick....You'll return to the dark side soon enough.

What SS amp did you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back