L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #5,716 of 6,808
I've been drinking from the fire hose of knowledge at the new job over the past week, finally have a break to catch my breath, not much has happened in the DIY world since then obviously.

I did get my Sowter transformers for my PCM63 DAC, much faster than I anticipated, so that was a nice surprise. Only thing left to do is finalize the chassis and order the remaining parts.

PXL_20221215_145341073-2.jpg

Since I have the new Degritter coming to me in a week or two, I am going to sell my Vinyl Stack, this is an accessory that let's you clean vinyl with an off-the-shelf ultrasonic cleaner, it's a great budget option and is now discontinued since the creator retired. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll come up with an asking price.

PXL_20221215_142757335-2.jpg
Also show folks the US cleaner to use with this attachment.

Guys, if you have vinyl and you've never done a US clean before, this is well worth it. Don't need to get fancy with exotic cleaning solutions. Just distilled water will give you great results with a US cleaner.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #5,717 of 6,808
Indeed. High purity distilled water, a little bit of high purity isopropyl and some photoflow; as a wetting agent, always worked for me back in the day.. I visited the local lab supplies store and would buy enough to make 5 gallons at a time. Gave some away to friends also. Don't remember the exact mix anymore but it worked just as well as any of the name brand cleaning fluids! Used it with my nitty gritty, a zero stat, and a nitty gritty applicator!

Those were very halcyon days back in the 80's and 90's. My Linn setup was heaven, and then my system was stolen! With insurance payoff I setup a Well Tempered Turntable with the arm modded by a Ford Aerospace engineer, that came within a gnats whisker of a Wheaton Triplanar. A Van Den Hul MC ONE. Rewired the arm with silver litz soldered directly to Audioquest Lapis Cable . That was a sweet setup that I still reminisce about. Sold it to a friend who was one of my customers when I took the Digital plunge.

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #5,718 of 6,808
Also show folks the US cleaner to use with this attachment.

Guys, if you have vinyl and you've never done a US clean before, this is well worth it. Don't need to get fancy with exotic cleaning solutions. Just distilled water will give you great results with a US cleaner.
2nd all of that.

I'll also add that the Vinyl Stack is very nicely made, and of far higher quality than many of the cheaper plastic devices out there. I've been using mine for around 5 years now, and see no reason why it won't still be cleaning records 20 years from now (although I probably won't be :laughing:).

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #5,727 of 6,808
I just love the way he has all the latest Festo pro equipment, but uses an old wax tin to mark out the corner radii. Could only be British!

Reminds me of how the TVR Chimaera allegedly got its indicators…

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #5,728 of 6,808
Apparently, Peter Wheeler had finished the 1:1 polystyrene design model of the car, and was at a loss as to where to position the front indicators. No problem, as later his dog bit a piece out of the nose, and that’s where the indicator went…

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #5,729 of 6,808
Whenever you are ready for it, myL0rd:

Nice! I saw this video around a year ago, it's great work, but the aesthetic is not my taste.

I will be getting a Garrard 401 handed down to my down the road, so my turntable upgrade path is set. It will need some restoration as well and a new plinth.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #5,730 of 6,808
I finished the chassis for my PCM63 DAC, order has been placed, foldout below.

PCM63 DAC Foldout.png

Total chassis dimensions will be 18.25" x 13" x 3.25". E182CC / 5687 tubes will protrude through the top plate, Sowter line output transformers will be back right mounted on top. Simple front panel with an amber LED in the center, the chassis will be matte black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back