L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Oct 18, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #3,347 of 6,808
Sounds amazing. How close does the Airmid get to Zach's 45? I had to ask, to guestimate whether the difference in what it would cost would be worth waiting a good bit longer for?

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

It's hard for me to say as I have not compared them directly and with the same gear! The Airmid prototype is on its way back to me, so I will be able to listen to them side-by-side for the first time. Given one is a SET design and the other an OTL, the two are drastically different so it would not be an apples-to-apples comparison really.

But I do have to reiterate that I haven't offered this 45 build up for public purchase as it was a one-off custom design. I haven't ruled that out yet, it is something I have to think on, not a casual tube amp to own lol and requires some care on the part of the user given it is fixed bias. It would be very expensive too - for reference, there are eight transformers in this amplifier, two pairs of which are custom (OPT and interstage). The cost of the transformers alone is roughly $1,500, so the price jump from Airmid to the 45 amp, in theory, would be significant. I mentioned that I'd like to try a cap-coupled version of it, but I am having some trouble getting in contact with Kevin at K&K Audio. Hopefully I can get a pair of grid chokes in house in time to try it out.

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #3,349 of 6,808
Kevin at K&K must have heard me talking about him, grid chokes are on the way, so will be able to try that out before breaking down the prototype for the final build.

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #3,350 of 6,808

The Airmid by L0rdGwyn
The Ferrari of amps”

626DBB9A-4861-49C8-9C21-A94D62503C93.jpeg

I was given the opportunity to listen to this amp and it left me speechless with a BIG smile on my face.

L0rdGwyn was gracious enough to loan the Airmid to me for a few days to take it out for a test drive, and like it’s race car colors, this amp is beautiful and fast.
The power switch just beckons you to turn it on with a forceful ‘click’ as the ‘engine’ warms up the pair of included 6J5 input tubes alongside a pair of my 5998 output tubes to be taken on a glorious ride.

I ran it this weekend with my ZMF Verite Open and Closed and my Focal Utopias and really enjoyed it most with my VCs.
The synergy between the VCs and this amp we’re match to behold and made my VCs seem as if they were an open set of headphones.

What I think separates the Airmid amp from others are twofold:
  1. The separation of instruments with detail retrieval
  2. The huge soundstage
I could not get over how big the soundstage is, one of the biggest I have heard from an amp!
With other amps I feel I get the impression of a cozy nightclub but with the Airmid the stage was the size of a concert hall!
Quite impressive and I was floored!

Also the detail is amazing and must be what Monsterzero was referring to In his review of the veil lifting, the clean television analogy.

This amp just begs for great sound recordings. I found the better the recording, the more I got from the Airmid.
If the original recording is not up to snuff, it will show, not in a bad way, but it will not sound ideal as the better quality recordings.
Only serious recordings need apply.
You wouldn’t put cheap gas in a Ferrari, would you?

It’s also worth noting that the Airmid is dead quiet when turned on/no music playing.
All of that under the hood, pedal to the floor, and…ZERO NOISE!

This is a very important aspect that is sometimes overlooked in tube amps which adds that clarity and detail that you don’t get from lesser quality builds.
I believe that is part of L0rdGwyn’s “magic” and why his Airmid amp has outstanding detail retrieval and clarity.

This amp is not for the feint of heart and is a beast. It needs to be to house those dual Clarity Caps that remind me of 2 pistons busting out of a car hood.

I really enjoyed giving the Airmid amp a test drive and thank L0rdGywn for giving me the opportunity to audition one of his latest creations.

If you are considering a new amp and have been looking for a quality, made in the USA amp, look no further and get yourself an Airmid, you will not regret it.
I would have ‘stolen’ this one from L0rdGwyn but I just recently bought an amp just prior to his release. 😁
Get in the queue now before the wait becomes too long and prices rise due to sourcing.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #3,351 of 6,808
Wow almost ready to say the hell with it and just say this amp might be enough. But a part of me just has to know how it compares with that 45 Zach ordered. Maybe a cap couple get just enough more right to be worth doing a bit more, that's of course if LOrdGwyn approves of making it at least available on a custom basis. But Hot Damn that truly does look and sound potentially it could be pretty hard to beat for anything under 4K. Oh well saving for 1st quarter of next year.

Awesome truly awesome, thanks for sharing,

jgwtriode

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #3,352 of 6,808
Have you been able to listen to both a transformer coupled and OTL type tube amp before? They sound quite different and honestly I don't think words entirely do those differences justice. Each imparts the music with a different kind of soul. It's not really about one being better than the other either, but you might find that one aligns to your personal ideal sound better. I find a lot to like about both, but my ears have spent more time listening to OTLs over the years. There is an effortless quality to their clarity that makes them so easy to listen to.

Also, I don't want to speak for Keenan at all, but I'm guessing that even a cap coupled version of the 45 would probably be north of that 4K figure you mentioned. It's a pretty "no expense spared" type build and amps that have this level of parts cost are in somewhat rare air.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #3,353 of 6,808
Oh indeed I know. I had $3500 dollars into my Bottlehead 2A3's back about 10 to 12 years ago. Magnequest cobalt trannies and Vaic 2A3 Meshplates, Custom coin silver potentiometers with tantulum resistors and the best Aeon Caps I could find bypassed with some even crazier ones I fail to remember now. They were quite amazing for a DIY 2A3. Never have forgotten how magically musical and spacious they were. But no I have never listened to an OTL. Harmonic structure, PRAT and staging is what really pushes my buttons.

I do have my VC leopard woods sounding pretty good. I drive them a really crazily modded oppo from EVS tweak shop running a femto clock and a custom built pure class A high current output stage Rick dropped into it for me. I get crazy staging with it and I tweak the hell out of my system to get it close, it is more triode tube like than any other solid state system I have run, but its still not quite a triode.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #3,355 of 6,808
As Artie Johnson used to say! MMMM! Very Interesting. Okay I look forward to Keenan's comparison's in the near future!
But thanks for info. I will be following this thread quite seriously over the next few months as I fill the piggy! What are you running
if may ask?

Happy listening,
jgwtriode.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,357 of 6,808
So what differences do you find between them. I'm certainly not in a position to do both anywhere in the future. It would be one or the other. I like the idea of it costing less but am willing to wait if potentially a 45 would be the better long term choice. At this point from everything I have seen read and considered I think LOrdGwyn's offer the best option for what I am trying to accomplish. I looked seriously at ampsandsound and I like Justin's approach, but I think Keenan's offer move value for the dollar. Anyhow, it won't be until February or March of next year, but am planning it out now. Wish I could have one of each an OTL and a 45 SET, but one will have to do!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,358 of 6,808
So what differences do you find between them. I'm certainly not in a position to do both anywhere in the future. It would be one or the other. I like the idea of it costing less but am willing to wait if potentially a 45 would be the better long term choice. At this point from everything I have seen read and considered I think LOrdGwyn's offer the best option for what I am trying to accomplish. I looked seriously at ampsandsound and I like Justin's approach, but I think Keenan's offer move value for the dollar. Anyhow, it won't be until February or March of next year, but am planning it out now. Wish I could have one of each an OTL and a 45 SET, but one will have to do!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode
I would be extremly interested in OTL/45 SET comparison as well. I understand these are different designs but maybe there are also some general differences in sound signature that can be described.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #3,360 of 6,808
All this talk of 45's got me thinking about bringing out some of my old 7" records and spinning a few singles...

Not DIY, but very custom - I think Mick from Supratek is going to build me a linestage/preamp. This time DHT based that can take 300B, 45 or PX4 tubes. I've had the Glenn 300B amp for a few years now, and not once have I been tempted to tube roll. Hopefully the same will stay true with this linestage. I've been very impressed with the Cortese preamp he built me last year. As it gets closer to completion (project for next year) I'll ask for some 45 or PX4 tube recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back