L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Nov 27, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #6,571 of 6,808
I'm pulling the trigger on some new line output transformers for the PCM63 DAC, these Finemet core 10K:600ohm transformers from Audio Feast. Double the primary inductance of the Sowter 9705, half the secondary DCR, will be lower distortion given the Finemet cores and better low frequency performance. Will order a new top plate for the DAC, will be a simple swap.

https://www.theaudiofeast.com/store/p_773509/fm-10k-623ct-finemet-line-output-transformer-

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #6,573 of 6,808
Had a lovely time hanging out with @zach915m , @BooUrns , @EtyDave , Kevin, and Gary at ZMF HQ! We had a whole table of L0rdGwyn gear, including the 2A3 amp, it was great to hear the feedback on it. Thanks for a fun day!

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #6,574 of 6,808
Had a lovely time hanging out with @zach915m , @BooUrns , @EtyDave , Kevin, and Gary at ZMF HQ! We had a whole table of L0rdGwyn gear, including the 2A3 amp, it was great to hear the feedback on it. Thanks for a fun day!

A fantastic time was had by all. It’s always cool to get in the same room and hangout for a bit.

And that 2A3 amp was fantastic. I wish I had more time with it. I hope to check it out again next time I visit.

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #6,575 of 6,808
Without a doubt, scientifically, existentially, exophilistically - the new amp that @L0rdGwyn delivered to ZMF yesterday defies all laws of human existence, I literally can't believe how amazing it is.

I went with a color called "Caldera:"

And wow! It's a volcano exploding in my brain every time I've used it so far. I've need a wet towel and a bath half a dozen times in the last day from this thing.

But really @L0rdGwyn you're a legend - and for those in awe of his work as I often am we are working on a Caldera driving commercial version of the "Aegis" which should be released in Q1 this coming year. The Aegis is defined by ample power (it even drives the Tungsten) and a mind-bending-blowing large stage while keeping a firm grip on the low end. I'm beyond excited for it and it's this kind of stuff that keeps me going at tough times of the year like this when things are just busy and stressful!

Here's some quick pics of the "Air-Universe; Caldera Edition." I will have pics of the Aegis in a few weeks as well which will be widely available.

Seven!!!!!! Count em seven Monolith Magnetics transformers. Holy moly...yes it's heavy.

Sauce shot of the cool transformer covers.

This one my be a little out of focus, volume knob on the left and impedance selector on the right.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #6,576 of 6,808
Without a doubt, scientifically, existentially, exophilistically - the new amp that @L0rdGwyn delivered to ZMF yesterday defies all laws of human existence, I literally can't believe how amazing it is.

I went with a color called "Caldera:"

And wow! It's a volcano exploding in my brain every time I've used it so far. I've need a wet towel and a bath half a dozen times in the last day from this thing.

But really @L0rdGwyn you're a legend - and for those in awe of his work as I often am we are working on a Caldera driving commercial version of the "Aegis" which should be released in Q1 this coming year. The Aegis is defined by ample power (it even drives the Tungsten) and a mind-bending-blowing large stage while keeping a firm grip on the low end. I'm beyond excited for it and it's this kind of stuff that keeps me going at tough times of the year like this when things are just busy and stressful!

Here's some quick pics of the "Air-Universe; Caldera Edition." I will have pics of the Aegis in a few weeks as well which will be widely available.

Seven!!!!!! Count em seven Monolith Magnetics transformers. Holy moly...yes it's heavy.

Sauce shot of the cool transformer covers.

This one my be a little out of focus, volume knob on the left and impedance selector on the right.

Just an FYI to those that weren’t there, Zach spent way too much time stroking the transformer covers. While the covers were admittedly beautiful, it made us all slightly uncomfortable:

Not that I wouldn’t have done that if it was my amp.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #6,577 of 6,808
Just an FYI to those that weren’t there, Zach spent way too much time stroking the transformer covers. While the covers were admittedly beautiful, it made us all slightly uncomfortable:

Not that I wouldn’t have done that if it was my amp.
😳😂😂

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #6,578 of 6,808
Just learned of the passing of James Whiting aka @jgwtriode thanks to @Monsterzero . James was an avid follower of this thread, he was always enthusiastic and encouraging, I understand he had a large loving family and will be sorely missed, may he rest in peace.

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #6,579 of 6,808
Yes. R.I.P. brother. It's always sad to hear of someone's passing and even though I haven't met many of you I feel like I have known some of you for years due to our shared interests. May James have peace in the afterlife and I hope he is listening to his favorite music from above.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #6,580 of 6,808
Sorry to hear.

R.I.P. James

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #6,581 of 6,808
Wasn't expecting to get these so soon, toroids for the HY69 amp.

PXL_20231212_190309005.jpg

As promised, they did not put the Toroidy logo on top. I'll leave the plastic on until the amp is rebuilt.

PXL_20231212_190348743.jpg

Unfortunately, they are too large for me to just replace the top plate, which means I'll have to order a new chassis. I'll use it as an opportunity to make some layout optimizations.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #6,582 of 6,808
Wasn't expecting to get these so soon, toroids for the HY69 amp.

PXL_20231212_190309005.jpg

As promised, they did not put the Toroidy logo on top. I'll leave the plastic on until the amp is rebuilt.

PXL_20231212_190348743.jpg

Unfortunately, they are too large for me to just replace the top plate, which means I'll have to order a new chassis. I'll use it as an opportunity to make some layout optimizations.

Want me to laser cut a L0rdGwyn logo for the top? :wink:

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #6,584 of 6,808
Hehe it's tempting but I'm gonna keep them blank, I am Mr. minimalist after all.

And clearly not great at self-promotion. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back