L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Sep 13, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #5,237 of 6,808
I think if Zach gets anywhere near that level of resolution, the musicality and spatial coherence of his tuning will take the day, maybe the weekend, and even more so with LordGywn's amps driving it; which significantly improves that over other amplifiers, even very good ones.! I can see their may need to be a certain pentode in my future because I am sure at some point when the piggy is ready to break for a Caldera I will have to start saving for that as well.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #5,239 of 6,808
This is journey's end for me.
If I had 5 bucks for everytime I've seen you say this about one piece of gear or another, I'd be a very wealthy man.

4b4f6e0263635bfc47508a4d626987a7.gif

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #5,241 of 6,808
RE: Susvara and LCD-4, Zach has said a few times already that the Caldera is tuned unlike any other planar on the market, and @warrenpchi pretty much confirmed that sentiment.
I should have the Caldera here soon(?) If yall want me to compare them for you in my review drop me a PM.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #5,242 of 6,808
I can see their may need to be a certain pentode in my future

It’s just convenient to call it a pentode amp but we all know it’s strapped triodes which is where the good sounding amps are.

Keenan it has to have a name going into CANJAM and not be known as the pentode amp.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #5,244 of 6,808
I’ve got a nerdy name suggestion for the new amp. Since there’s excitement about pairing it with Zach’s new volcano-themed Caldera planar at CanJam, how about calling it “Orodruin”? It’s a Lord of the Rings reference. It was another name for Mount Doom. I always thought it was a cool-sounding word. On second thought, it may be too ominous for the name of a headphone amp, haha.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #5,245 of 6,808
It’s just convenient to call it a pentode amp but we all know it’s strapped triodes which is where the good sounding amps are.

Keenan it has to have a name going into CANJAM and not be known as the pentode amp.

Ahh I know what you mean, but it is still in development, a prototype really as I may change the circuit. Once you name it, it becomes "official" so it might be better to remain anonymous until it really is official.

Or I'll name it TSPA (triode-strapped pentode amp) instead of pentode amp :)

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #5,247 of 6,808
I’ll just call it the journey’s beginning then. 😗
Just call it part of the journey, because the journey only ends until the next piece of gear or next headphone......there fixed. :)

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #5,248 of 6,808
Just call it part of the journey, because the journey only ends until the next piece of gear or next headphone......there fixed. :)

Choose your amp name wisely. I chose Odyssey because that's suppose to be journey's end when Odysseus got home. Unfortunately he had a son name Telemachus.

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #5,249 of 6,808
Ahh I know what you mean, but it is still in development, a prototype really as I may change the circuit. Once you name it, it becomes "official" so it might be better to remain anonymous until it really is official.

Or I'll name it TSPA (triode-strapped pentode amp) instead of pentode amp :)
I like Harmonia, the Greek goddess of harmony. But with the tubes protruding like they do it may be more of a male amp, so maybe not. 🤣 🤣

Sep 17, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #5,250 of 6,808
Amp made it to SoCal, looks like one of the transformers got a little banged out of alignment in transport, probably can be pushed back, but it works! And early impressions from Zach are very good :)

We will see what other people think later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back