L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Aug 19, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #5,041 of 6,808
Yes, old 6L6G are no problem. There are a few tubes that will not work, typically lower power models that will be biased over their max plate dissipation, like 6W6. I am compiling a list.

This is one of the best sounding amps I have made, it's up there with the 45 amp I made for Zach. It really does it all, clarity, enormous stage, dynamic, thick, impactful bass, airy detailed treble, and dead silent. I am excited for some people to demo it.

Really love this combo, Philips GZ34, Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY, and Ken-Rad 6L6G. I had to add some isolating pads to choke screws, they are beige but will change to black at some point so they blend in.

PXL_20220820_004234015.NIGHT-2.jpg
You’ve certainly peaked my interest! I’ve been reading all the great things about your amps for a while now. I know I’ve missed the boat on the Airmid. I really hope you are able to find a way to make this new project commercially available, even if on limited basis. I know I’d love to try it with my Meze Elite as well as my Auteur!

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #5,042 of 6,808
The Ortofon arm provides the DL103 with ideal operating conditions: the extra mass ring, together with the added mass of the cocobolo body (Stanley Engineering), makes this a highish-mass arm. Tracking at 2.8g, it clears all but the 90 microns test tracks. Arm / cartridge resonance is at 8 Hz.

The signal goes to my Pro-Ject Tube Box DS (aftermarket linear PSU, NOS Mullard ECC83s) via a Denon AU-320 SUT.

This is as “103-friendly” an environment as can be found anywhere!

So far, I am getting a very punchy, dynamic sound with tremendous bass extension and a huge “wall of sound” stereo image. Everything sounds very “solid” and tangible.

In terms of absolute resolution and image depth, it loses out to the SME 3009 / AT-VM740ML combo.
The DL-103 is one of those timeless designs that has always sounded better than its price suggests, at least IMO. I wore one out, and then went for the Zu-modded one on the second go-round. After my Koetsu was mugged and subsequently died, I've been alternating between it and a Benz MC-Scheu. Different sounds, but both are quite musical and enjoyable to listen to.

https://www.zuaudio.com/turntable/zudl-103

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #5,043 of 6,808
You’ve certainly peaked my interest! I’ve been reading all the great things about your amps for a while now. I know I’ve missed the boat on the Airmid. I really hope you are able to find a way to make this new project commercially available, even if on limited basis. I know I’d love to try it with my Meze Elite as well as my Auteur!

I hope so too! I'll have a better idea of the direction things are heading in the next few months. It would be an expensive amp given the cost of parts, TOTL type of design, but I have a lot of confidence in the circuit, I would happily put it up against any commercial tube amp on the market. Who knows, maybe I'm delusional and it isn't as good as I think it is, we will see when other ears sample it.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #5,044 of 6,808
Can’t wait to see what others think of your new creation. I think you’ve proven you’re a pretty good judge of sound quality at this point.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #5,045 of 6,808
This is one of the best sounding amps I have made, it's up there with the 45 amp I made for Zach. It really does it all, clarity, enormous stage, dynamic, thick, impactful bass, airy detailed treble, and dead silent. I am excited for some people to demo it.

I've too many amps already otherwise I'd be willing to make a financial commitment. Besides I always feel Odyssey is the finest sounding amp ever, owner bias aside. :) A comparison between the 2 would be interesting. :)

I wish you the best and success with this venture. More boutique amps builders will only be beneficial for the head-fi community.

P/s : just notice you displayed the Ken Rad 6L6G in the above picture. That is the tube I'm talking about.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #5,046 of 6,808
Can’t wait to see what others think of your new creation. I think you’ve proven you’re a pretty good judge of sound quality at this point.

Thanks, I like to think so but you can never be certain! When you've been listening to the same thing over and over and over, it helps to have another set of ears confirm or deny what you're hearing. All of the critical listening also can start to cause fatigue, then my ears are useless for a few days. But I feel good about this one, gonna be hard to see it go on its road trip.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #5,047 of 6,808
I've too many amps already otherwise I'd be willing to make a financial commitment. Besides I always feel Odyssey is the finest sounding amp ever, owner bias aside. :) A comparison between the 2 would be interesting. :)

I wish you the best and success with this venture. More boutique amps builders will only be beneficial for the head-fi community.

P/s : just notice you displayed the Ken Rad 6L6G in the above picture. That is the tube I'm talking about.

Ahhh who knows! Would be amazing some day to have many of these boutique / custom amplifiers in one place. I have a lot of respect for what SonicTrance is doing, so I'm sure the Odyssey is an exceptional amplifier. From what I know of Odyssey, while the output tubes are the same, both are tube rectified and transformer coupled, that is where the similarities end, so different presentations between the two I would expect to hear.

I have been listening to those Ken-Rads the whole evening, they sound fantastic, Leonard Cohen's growl is tickling my eardrums.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #5,048 of 6,808
Ahhh who knows! Would be amazing some day to have many of these boutique / custom amplifiers in one place. I have a lot of respect for what SonicTrance is doing, so I'm sure the Odyssey is an exceptional amplifier. From what I know of Odyssey, while the output tubes are the same, both are tube rectified and transformer coupled, that is where the similarities end, so different presentations between the two I would expect to hear.

I have been listening to those Ken-Rads the whole evening, they sound fantastic, Leonard Cohen's growl is tickling my eardrums.

Yup total respect for Mischa and your amps. And one of Glenn 300b amp. And Eddie Current higher end offerings. Don't think the day will come for these amps to come together but I'm sure they will a total treat for the ears.

My next 300b, the Telemachus will have dual power supply. It will be switchable between regulated solid state rectifiers or unregulated tube rectification.

I smile when you mention Leonard Cohen. I thought I was the only one who enjoys his voice.

Aug 20, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #5,049 of 6,808
The DL-103 is one of those timeless designs that has always sounded better than its price suggests, at least IMO. I wore one out, and then went for the Zu-modded one on the second go-round. After my Koetsu was mugged and subsequently died, I've been alternating between it and a Benz MC-Scheu. Different sounds, but both are quite musical and enjoyable to listen to.

https://www.zuaudio.com/turntable/zudl-103
It also means that I am getting a decent approximation of genuine 60s broadcast sound on those old Blue Notes…

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #5,050 of 6,808
I was wide awake at 5AM, had to come down and listen. GZ34, EL34, 6SU7GTY.

RCA 5691 arriving today :)

PXL_20220820_102134878.NIGHT-3.jpg

Aug 20, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #5,051 of 6,808
Here is a small tube setup, RCA 5Y3G, RCA 6SL7GT, Visseaux 6V6GT. Despite the fact that this amp essentially has to use a pair of 6SL7 inputs (besides using adapters), I think there is still a good amount of tube rollability to mess around with.

PXL_20220820_122612666.NIGHT-2.jpg

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #5,052 of 6,808
Here is a very nice combination I have been listening to this morning: Chatham 5R4WGY, RCA 6SL7GT, Ken-Rad 6L6G.

The timeline is going to be a little tight based on when I am supposed to receive the impedance selector switch for this build, but it's possible this amplifier will be making a trip to CanJam SoCal. We'll see, I am going to do my best to make it happen.

PXL_20220821_161306713.NIGHT-2.jpg

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #5,053 of 6,808
Just bought these too, Brimar CV1985 / 6SL7GTY, should sound purdy good in this amp.

Now the real question as I hunt all the fanciest 6SL7, do I consider buying a pair of ECC35? Big bucks for a pair of those bad boys...

s-l1600.jpg

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #5,054 of 6,808
Just bought these too, Brimar CV1985 / 6SL7GTY, should sound purdy good in this amp.

Now the real question as I hunt all the fanciest 6SL7, do I consider buying a pair of ECC35? Big bucks for a pair of those bad boys...

s-l1600.jpg
You know the saying… it's better to regret something you have done, rather than something you haven't:smiling_imp:

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #5,055 of 6,808
You know the saying… it's better to regret something you have done, rather than something you haven't:smiling_imp:

Yeah, but man are they expensive! If I sell my pair of ECC32, maybe I'll go for it. Who knows, maybe I can find someone to trade me a pair of ECC35 for a pair of ECC32. I'll add this option to my classifieds listing :)

I have decided my power tube hierarchy in this amp so far goes Mullard EL34 > Ken-Rad 6L6G > Visseaux 6V6GT > Tung-Sol 5881 > Neotron 6L6G.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back