L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Aug 12, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #4,951 of 6,805
I prefer the sound of the Svetlanas from the 50's myself, especially the 1955 Navy issue. I like the mids a bit better than some of the later ones. I can tell no difference in sound between two from 1959 with the two numbering schemes.

I may have gifted one to Cowen so he might be able to address the sound as well. I also gave him a prized Melz from 1954 or 1956, I dealt with a lot of Russian tubes while filling out my collections.

Somewhere I also have some bottom getter tubes made by Chatham for RCA as best I recall. Friends are starting to work on tube comparisons and I provided twenty such tubes and the Chathams may well have been in there.
And I have some RCA's labeled as Chatham. LOL!

You gave me a 1958 Svetlana, but I only have one other to compare to from the late '70's IIRC (I'd have to dig it out to verify). I like the 1958 better...has more midrange detail and harmonic nuance and deeper, punchier bass. Not night and day, but enough to be worthwhile IMO for anyone searching these out. I still prefer the Chatham 6AS7G to either of the Russkies, and they still pop up every now and then for mostly sane prices. Wait....I have the pair of Amperex Made in England (or West Russia) Svetlana's too...forgot about those. 🤣 No way of telling what year they are though since all the Svetlana markings are gone.

I've purchased a bunch of Foton 6N6P's for Folkvangr. Have full sets of both the square dimpled getter and the (usual) round UFO getter to give both a try versus the stock tubes (which are Reflektors). Just haven't had the time yet to compare them.

6AS7G Amperex 2.jpg

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #4,952 of 6,805
And I have some RCA's labeled as Chatham. LOL!

You gave me a 1958 Svetlana, but I only have one other to compare to from the late '70's IIRC (I'd have to dig it out to verify). I like the 1958 better...has more midrange detail and harmonic nuance and deeper, punchier bass. Not night and day, but enough to be worthwhile IMO for anyone searching these out. I still prefer the Chatham 6AS7G to either of the Russkies, and they still pop up every now and then for mostly sane prices. Wait....I have the pair of Amperex Made in England (or West Russia) Svetlana's too...forgot about those. 🤣 No way of telling what year they are though since all the Svetlana markings are gone.

I've purchased a bunch of Foton 6N6P's for Folkvangr. Have full sets of both the square dimpled getter and the (usual) round UFO getter to give both a try versus the stock tubes (which are Reflektors). Just haven't had the time yet to compare them.

6AS7G Amperex 2.jpg
6N6P? Then you need the 6N6P-IR and the 6H30-DR as well to try.

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #4,953 of 6,805
6N6P? Then you need the 6N6P-IR and the 6H30-DR as well to try.
I'm not very familiar with the 6N6P's at this point. What's the difference with the -IR version?

6H30's are pretty pricey, and I need 8 for Folkvangr. Stupid amps that use lots of tubes....sheeeez. :slight_smile:

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #4,956 of 6,805
I really think you might be missing out actually. I heard through the grapevine that only GE tubes activate the special booster circuit in your amp that makes it sound its best.
I disabled that switch because it required an IC chip to work. Horrors. Changed it over to N2O with a remote trigger. Just don't tell @Paladin79 -- he may send Ivan and Viktor down here to repossess it. 🤣

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #4,957 of 6,805
Has anyone ever gone to a Hamfest? There is one happening not to far from me and I thought it might be worth checking out as a potential source of tubes.
I went to several in the Raleigh area looking specifically for tubes, but that was many years ago. There were some guys selling them along with other stuff, but it wasn't like walking into a gold mine. Mostly US tubes, very few Euro types. Things may have changed since then though.

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #4,958 of 6,805
I disabled that switch because it required an IC chip to work. Horrors. Changed it over to N2O with a remote trigger. Just don't tell @Paladin79 -- he may send Ivan and Viktor down here to repossess it. 🤣
I could send Victoria, she is far more persuasive. :L3000:

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #4,959 of 6,805
Has anyone ever gone to a Hamfest? There is one happening not to far from me and I thought it might be worth checking out as a potential source of tubes.
While I live in an area that was a hotbed of electronics most people I know went to huge hamfests in Ohio, I went to some of those years ago.

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #4,961 of 6,805

I haven't, but there are guys on diyAudio who go all the time to search for / swap tubes. The "big one" is the Dayton, OH Hamvention, which draws a huge number of people every year. I'm sure you'd find some good tubes if you made the trip :) I should probably go next year :thinking:

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #4,963 of 6,805
I haven't, but there are guys on diyAudio who go all the time to search for / swap tubes. The "big one" is the Dayton, OH Hamvention, which draws a huge number of people every year. I'm sure you'd find some good tubes if you made the trip :) I should probably go next year :thinking:
I have been to Dayton for the Hamfest. I guess because of Covid a couple near me have been canceled. I was also in Dayton for card and chess tournaments.

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #4,964 of 6,805
I have been to Dayton for the Hamfest. I guess because of Covid a couple near me have been canceled. I was also in Dayton for card and chess tournaments.

Yeah I think it was cancelled in 2020 and 2021 but came back for 2022. Should be back again for 2023, maybe I will swing by, could be fun for the spectacle if nothing else!

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #4,965 of 6,805
I am finishing up a little tube shopping for this pentode amplifier, want a little more variety to play with when it's done.

So far I've grabbed a pair of NIB Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY ($$$), a pair of Tung-Sol 5881 outputs, a pair of Fivre 6V6G outputs, and one of those Chatham 5R4WGY potato masher rectifiers.

The last big one on my wish list is a pair of RCA 5691, they are expensive and there isn't really a pair up for sale right now that I feel is worth the price, so I will bide my time and wait to strike...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back