L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #3,992 of 6,805
Well to be fair that amp has three caps in parallel per channel! Not sure of their value, but I'm sure it's a lot of capacitance. I am only using a pair, one per channel.

They are chunky tubes, very interested to see how they sound at a hotter bias point. With the 6528 (higher gm cousin of the 6336), output impedance should be quite low, and good bass extension with those big caps. This amplifier would make an engineer cry LOL over 50W dissipated to make a 2W-ish headphone amplifier, but we won't tell them.

My BW ebony VC are supposed to be delivered today, woot!

Ha! Yeah, keep it silent from the engineers :grinning:

Can't wait to hear your impressions of your VC. Should be a wonderful compliment to your open ZMF.
Are you keeping the Auteur also ?

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #3,993 of 6,805
Ha! Yeah, keep it silent from the engineers :grinning:

Can't wait to hear your impressions of your VC. Should be a wonderful compliment to your open ZMF.
Are you keeping the Auteur also ?

I sold the Auteur! But I think I will eventually get another open back ZMF to replace it.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #3,994 of 6,805
My BW ebony VC are supposed to be delivered today, woot!

Sweet! But you know the drill -- pics or it didn't happen (which we will anxiously await). :laughing: :laughing:

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #3,996 of 6,805
Well to be fair that amp has three caps in parallel per channel! Not sure of their value, but I'm sure it's a lot of capacitance. I am only using a pair, one per channel.
Enough capacitance for the Abyss and LCD4. Kind of ridiculous for an OTL but it keeps me warm in the winter :)

AD26A4C1-24B0-4137-9CD2-92EF6CFC110F.jpeg

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #3,997 of 6,805
Enough capacitance for the Abyss and LCD4. Kind of ridiculous for an OTL but it keeps me warm in the winter :)

AD26A4C1-24B0-4137-9CD2-92EF6CFC110F.jpeg

Every person who lives in a cold weather city needs a ridiculous OTL to keep them warm, it's a fact.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #3,998 of 6,805
Every person who lives in a cold weather city needs a ridiculous OTL to keep them warm, it's a fact.
Yup! Every time it dips below 55F outside - I power on my GOTL :laughing:

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #3,999 of 6,805
Yup! Every time it dips below 55F outside - I power on my GOTL :laughing:
ROFL! But 55? That's brutal. It's 58 here today and I'm freezing my butt off. :laughing:

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #4,000 of 6,805
The other day I drove to work in a snowstorm, to a hospital right on the shore of Lake Erie, with a 6"x6" area of my windshield I could see out of, nearly blown over by the wind in the parking lot. It was 9 degrees F. The next morning, my car was buried in snow, had to dig it out with the shovel I brought in my trunk.

Freezing your butt off builds character :gs1000smile: makes the OTL warmth all the better when you get home.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #4,001 of 6,805
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #4,002 of 6,805
The other day I drove to work in a snowstorm, to a hospital right on the shore of Lake Erie, with a 6"x6" area of my windshield I could see out of, nearly blown over by the wind in the parking lot. It was 9 degrees F. The next morning, my car was buried in snow, had to dig it out with the shovel I brought in my trunk.

Freezing your butt off builds character :gs1000smile: makes the OTL warmth all the better when you get home.
But if your car was buried, how did you get in the trunk? :thinking:

(sorry, VIS* flare up waiting for those VC pics. :laughing:)

*Voyeur Impatience Syndrome

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #4,003 of 6,805
But if your car was buried, how did you get in the trunk? :thinking:

(sorry, VIS* flare up waiting for those VC pics. :laughing:)

*Voyeur Impatience Syndrome

You might have to live with that VIS a little longer, somehow the headphones were on the truck for delivery, then made it all the way back to the initial location LOL nice of the driver to take them for a joy ride. Since I wasn't going to be home to sign, I requested they be left at my local FedEx store so I could pick them up on the way home, I do this all the time, guess it was too complicated. So maybe another try tomorrow? Oh well, looks like I'll be tracing 6528 curves when I get home instead of listening to the VCs!

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #4,004 of 6,805
My 6528 didn't come today either, I'm striking out all over! I think the crazy weather has thrown delivery services through a loop, I can't blame them for being behind.

I did get the large majority of the parts for 6336 OTL, but I need the heat sinks and transformer shield to finalize the chassis, so it's gonna be probably a week or two before I can order it.

Also got my SMPS filament supplies for the HK54 design. A regulated linear power supply that can put out 5A at 5V ain't no joke in terms of heat management, size, complexity, so going with the SMPS is a massive quality of life improvement in an amplifier that is already pretty complicated.

The 35T / 35TG have a 4A filament whereas the HK54 have a 5A filament, having the SMPS handle the regulation is another mental weight lifted. Small too, and shielded. Noise performance is good for the application. Don't have to worry about layout headaches that come with filament transformers either. They just work!

PXL_20220210_020535553-2.jpg

Been thinking a little bit about how this amplifier would look. Thing is, these tubes need to be enclosed since the plate caps are going to have peak voltages of around 500V on them, not something you want to be touching by mistake. I came across an amplifier that I think is beautiful and I might draw inspiration from. Don't think it is available anymore, it's based on a rather absurd 300W transmitter tube, the 304TL / 304TH.

Here is the tube. These are amazing. A DIY tube dude once told me that once you get into transmitter triodes, you never go back, they're just so cool. Lots of these tubes still around actually, so if you are crazy enough to build an amplifier with a 300W transmitting triode, you should be all set terms of backups!

s-l1600.jpg

Here is the amp. I love the vintage look, the Pyrex enclosure, the fact that it can kill you with mercury vapor rectifiers, high voltage, AND give you third degree burns, it really has it all.

304TL Amp.png

304TL Amp Closeup.png

Eventually I might do something like this on a smaller scale with the Pyrex casing and high walls and vintage aesthetic for the HK54 amp, really hits the spot for me.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #4,005 of 6,805
Been thinking a little bit about how this amplifier would look. Thing is, these tubes need to be enclosed since the plate caps are going to have peak voltages of around 500V on them, not something you want to be touching by mistake. I came across an amplifier that I think is beautiful and I might draw inspiration from. Don't think it is available anymore, it's based on a rather absurd 300W transmitter tube, the 304TL / 304TH.

Here is the tube. These are amazing. A DIY tube dude once told me that once you get into transmitter triodes, you never go back, they're just so cool. Lots of these tubes still around actually, so if you are crazy enough to build an amplifier with a 300W transmitting triode, you should be all set terms of backups!

Here is the amp. I love the vintage look, the Pyrex enclosure, the fact that it can kill you with mercury vapor rectifiers, high voltage, AND give you third degree burns, it really has it all.

Eventually I might do something like this on a smaller scale with the Pyrex casing and high walls and vintage aesthetic for the HK54 amp, really hits the spot for me.
That is totally beyond insane. I must have one. :laughing:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back